Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I guess I'm late to the game on this one, but I'm just wrapping up first season of Narcos. Fascinating story! Basically, it's a dramatization of the famous Colombian Drug Lord Pablo Escobar (at least, that's the focus of season 1, set in 1980s). I just happened to be traveling to Bogota, Colombia in the 80s on business, and saw with my own eyes the Palace of Justice with rocket holes in it! I worked on that project for several years and met many Colombians, both in Colombia and the US. Had I not had first-hand experience of the situation, I would have said 'Narcos' was way too exaggerated ... but at least season 1 was not ! Quite a tale. Looking forward to subsequent seasons (no spoilers please )
i enjoyed it too
Old Apr 21st 2020, 9:23 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Narcos, and Narcos: Mexico are both rather good.

We've been watching Life on Mars, for me re-watching, and for my girlfriend it's the first time she's seen it. Still holds up pretty well. We've also been re-watching Sherlock. Still a brilliant show. Interesting to see the changes in technology and other things from when it came out.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 10:08 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I guess I'm late to the game on this one, but I'm just wrapping up first season of Narcos. Fascinating story! Basically, it's a dramatization of the famous Colombian Drug Lord Pablo Escobar (at least, that's the focus of season 1, set in 1980s). I just happened to be traveling to Bogota, Colombia in the 80s on business, and saw with my own eyes the Palace of Justice with rocket holes in it! I worked on that project for several years and met many Colombians, both in Colombia and the US. Had I not had first-hand experience of the situation, I would have said 'Narcos' was way too exaggerated ... but at least season 1 was not ! Quite a tale. Looking forward to subsequent seasons (no spoilers please )
Not a TV show I know, but have you seen the movie 'Sicario'? If you liked Narcos, you'd probably like it. All about the FBI and the Mexican drug cartel.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3397884...nm_flmg_act_13
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 2:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I am 4 episodes into Capture on Prime. Looking good so far.
Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Surprisingly it was on 6 episodes on UK TV and the episode summary on Amazon Prime says that and so does Wikipedia has it as 6 episodes but somehow Amazon Prime Canada stretched it out to 8 episodes.

We're also watching Deadwater Fell on Acorn which is good. Four episodes in total and 1 uploaded per week and there are 3 there now.
thanks for the recommendation. Watched 4 eps last night...very good.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 11:49 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Re-watching 'CarShare' with Peter Kay - love it, makes me laugh in places. I can't wait to re-watch the episode where they go the safari park
Old Apr 25th 2020, 3:31 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

.Binge Watched Zomboat! on Friday and found it quite enjoyable.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I gave "Good Omens" a look last night - really enjoyed it! They have assembled a rather extensive cast for this - must have a healthy budget! Finished 2 episodes, plan to wrap it up over the next few days.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 3:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I watched an episode of Fauda tonight and before I closed Netflix I noticed a second season of After Life. I didn't even know there was one.

I watched all six episodes. It's glorious.

I've seen plenty of bitter sweet stuff on TV and movies but I don't think I've seen anything quite like this. The changes are so sudden. You can be wallowing with the character and suddenly there's something hilarious. You can be giggling or laughing uncontrollably and wham something hits you. It's incredible.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 4:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I watched an episode of Fauda tonight and before I closed Netflix I noticed a second season of After Life. I didn't even know there was one.

I watched all six episodes. It's glorious.

I've seen plenty of bitter sweet stuff on TV and movies but I don't think I've seen anything quite like this. The changes are so sudden. You can be wallowing with the character and suddenly there's something hilarious. You can be giggling or laughing uncontrollably and wham something hits you. It's incredible.
watched After Life last night. Didn’t enjoy it as much as the first series.

watching Gangs of London. Very good but very violent.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Surfing through BRITBOX and spotted ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL and remembered what a wonderful programme it is. Great British TV, wonderful characters/actors, no foul language, no gratuitous sex and no violence. I’ve started watching it again and am so pleased I did. Have re-watched a few shows recently including MI5 and The Bodyguard. All good stuff.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 1:19 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

The main thing stopping me from watching After Life and the sequel is Ricky Gervais. I could not watch The Office as he was just simply too cringeworthy - yes I know that was the whole point - but it really did make my flesh creep. I might give it a go though, the trailer I saw, albeit without sound, did make it look rather good.

Hmm, might need to check out Gangs Of London, sounds Peaky Blinders-ish.

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Surfing through BRITBOX and spotted ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL and remembered what a wonderful programme it is. Great British TV, wonderful characters/actors, no foul language, no gratuitous sex and no violence. I’ve started watching it again and am so pleased I did. Have re-watched a few shows recently including MI5 and The Bodyguard. All good stuff.
I remember watching this with the family when growing up. Seems as though BritBox does not have all 7 series of it though
Old Apr 26th 2020, 1:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sharkus
The main thing stopping me from watching After Life and the sequel is Ricky Gervais. I could not watch The Office as he was just simply too cringeworthy - yes I know that was the whole point - but it really did make my flesh creep. I might give it a go though, the trailer I saw, albeit without sound, did make it look rather good.

Hmm, might need to check out Gangs Of London, sounds Peaky Blinders-ish.

I remember watching this with the family when growing up. Seems as though BritBox does not have all 7 series of it though
I don’t care for RG either but I enjoyed the first series. I found the second series a bit depressing, as opposed to be being funny. Hubby like it, maybe 7 weeks of lockdown is getting to me.

Gangs of London is similar to Peaky Blinders...but more violent. Watched the first 4 eps last night.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 1:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
...ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL...no gratuitous sex...
I seem to remember some fisting.

Originally Posted by sharkus
The main thing stopping me from watching After Life and the sequel is Ricky Gervais
I can totally understand that but I think After Life is just so different.

I don’t care for RG either but I enjoyed the first series. I found the second series a bit depressing, as opposed to be being funny.
I think I'm going to have to rewatch the first series. In many ways I found the second to be lighter which made it easier to laugh.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I seem to remember some fisting.

I can totally understand that but I think After Life is just so different.

I think I'm going to have to rewatch the first series. In many ways I found the second to be lighter which made it easier to laugh.
He kept watching videos of his late wife, which I found to be very sad/moving/heart wrenching. I don’t want to watch sad stuff at the moment, I can tune into the news channels for that. I want to watch programs/films that cheer me up. As I said maybe it’s all the lockdown/coronavirus stuff that’s getting to me a little. Although I did enjoy watching Gangs of London last night...go figure.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 2:36 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen the 2005 'After Life' with Lesley Sharp & Rick from the Walking Dead?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435937/

IMO, it is one of the most underrated series of all time. I've been trying to download it but cannot find any sources anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.