Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jan 2nd 2020, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

I rather enjoyed the latest 'Dracula' on BBC1.

Note to producers of the woeful War of the Worlds remake - that's how to do a revamp
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 7:46 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I just watched Case which is Icelandic on Netflix. The story was great, if a bit bleak, but OMG the graphicness (is that a word?) of the violence, drug taking and sex...in that order, was uncomfortable - not much swearing, but then I don't speak their language. Worth a try. Well acted, depressingly believable.

I really liked Shetland too. I do hope we get the next series.
Case is very good, and as you've seen, somewhat graphic. What you may not know is that it's a spin-off from the series Réttur. That has Logi when he was still a lawyer and before he somewhat spiraled downwards. I've not actually seen it, and *really* wish Netflix would pick it up too, though it is from 2010, so a bit old.

I think we will see series five of shetland, it'll just take a while. I'm not sure if we have the latest series of Hinterland yet. I know it is on US netflix as that's where I saw it, and I think it's now on Canadian netflix too.

The whole Noric Noir thing has ver much bitten my girlfriend and I. It's when the danish ones pop up that we do grin, as she has danish relatives, and we love to poke fun about what a "lovely" place Denmark must be with all this graphic killing going on

Last edited by sharkus; Jan 2nd 2020 at 7:49 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 10:09 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

This is where I say "told you so"
I pushed on it and it said ‘page not found’ !

I can’t get Whisht either! If it isn’t on Netflix I can’t chase it down a rabbit hole!

The Bonfires of whatever…looks good - I’d be nuts without BE and Netflix!

My my son tells me that ‘You’ is brilliant and all of his friends are watching it...It’s cold and nasty and I’m bored...not bad. He tells me it’s lighting us Snapchat so it can’t be bad can it?
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 10:22 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
The whole Noric Noir thing has ver much bitten my girlfriend and I. It's when the danish ones pop up that we do grin, as she has danish relatives, and we love to poke fun about what a "lovely" place Denmark must be with all this graphic killing going on
Oh...I very much like the phrase Noric Noir! Scandi is so much more ‘raindrops on roses’. The chillier bits of Northern Europe do have a wonderful way with film! I love that expression, my husband just generally uses “what the hell are you watching”

Over the weekend I’m going to head for The Snowman...which sounds promising!
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 12:00 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I pushed on it and it said ‘page not found’ !

It was a post from January last year

I think you enjoyed The Bridge too, so that means you should enjoy Trapped, Bordertown, Case, Deadwind, The Frozen Dead, Borderliner, The Lava Field, La Mante, Midnight Sun....
I reckon a fair number of them are on Netflix.
I can’t get Whisht either! If it isn’t on Netflix I can’t chase it down a rabbit hole!
Did you mean Wisting? It's on BBC iPlayer. Various vpns work.
The Bonfires of whatever…looks good - I’d be nuts without BE and Netflix!
Yep, there's plenty on Netflix. I use a variety of other sources to get my fix. It was all there was way back when and I got so used to using them, it's all second nature to me now.

My my son tells me that ‘You’ is brilliant and all of his friends are watching it..
IMDB makes it sound worth checking out

It’s cold and nasty and I’m bored...not bad. He tells me it’s lighting us Snapchat so it can’t be bad can it?
I don't even know what snapchat is.

Nobel is very good. That's on Netflix too.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 11:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Nobel is very good. That's on Netflix too.
And recommended by Millie back in 2017

Old Jan 3rd 2020, 12:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the second series of You.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 10:59 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Oink
I liked the second series of You.
Yes...it’s all about Season 2 apparently! Being on old fashioned sort of a girl I thought I had better sag my way through Season 1 first...I am, and it’s a bit hard work...but I should be rewarded by Season 2 soon I am looking forward to it tremendously
Old Jan 6th 2020, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even know what snapchat is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapchat

More than you want to know about one of the more banal aspects of the internet. Facebook is so 2014, the future is Snapchat.

It makes twitter look deep.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 12:57 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapchat

More than you want to know about one of the more banal aspects of the internet. Facebook is so 2014, the future is Snapchat.

It makes twitter look deep.
Sounds fascinati.....

Is this a head or a ghost?

I'm still unable to tell who is talking to who on twitter.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 6th 2020 at 1:00 am.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to get through 'The Irishman' on Netflix over the course of two nights. I was underwhelmed. Lovely to see a great cast, of course, but I felt the whole thing was weird. I couldn't put my finger on it. Then after the show finished, they rolled (in true Netflix fashion) into a sort-of documentary about how they made it. They explained how all the 'ageing' (or is it 'younging'?) was done by CGI. That is, rather than use makeup to make the old actors look younger in their flashback sequences, they used CGI to modify their faces. It was a fascinating discussion, and the technology was obviously quite cool, but ... the look was terrible (IMHO). I'm sure they'll get it right in the future, but it looked 'off' to me.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 9:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The Trial of Christine Keeler is currently on, it's very good, and for a change tells the Profumo affair from her point of view. They did consult with her about things, but unfortunately she died before filing started.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 12:54 am
Oscar nominated

French Security Services series - The Bureau.
There have been four seasons so far with a fifth coming up.

I've seen the first two episodes. Very enjoyable - no typical spy stuff so far, no assassinations, bombs, car chases, no gadgets. Just human interactions.

I was originally thinking Callan, but maybe more Le Carre's Smiley stuff for the present day.

It's also weird because it begins with the Canal+ jingle and I keep expecting Spiral.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 11:17 am
BE user by choice

I had a quick look but couldn't see anyone had mentioned Dracula on Netflix...bloody brilliant. Super dialogue, some very funny oneliners. Great cast. Only 3 parts to the series. A complete gem. My husband, who I can never get to watch anything with me, and son who usually finds something elsewhere, both watched with me and were effusive in praise. No bad language, no sex...but lots of brooding seduction...big suprise - it's a bit bloody. Enjoy!
Old Jan 11th 2020, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

French Security Services series - The Bureau.
There have been four seasons so far with a fifth coming up.

I've seen the first two episodes. Very enjoyable - no typical spy stuff so far, no assassinations, bombs, car chases, no gadgets. Just human interactions.

I was originally thinking Callan, but maybe more Le Carre's Smiley stuff for the present day.

It's also weird because it begins with the Canal+ jingle and I keep expecting Spiral.
How or where are you watching this? From less than legal sources

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.