Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jul 20th 2021, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Virgin River - Netflix. I’m watching over here in the UK and it’s the reason I want to move to BC. It’s actually depicted as being in the US but when I looked in to it, they film mostly in BC. The shots of the landscape, the small town community feel, the lifestyle.. Ok, I know it’s television and not based on reality but it’s exactly what I want. Perhaps a little remote for my family but to be within an hour of somewhere like that would be a dream.

Anyone seen it and recognise some of the locations? It’s mostly waterfalls, pine forests, a beautiful river..

In regards to the actual storyline, it’s a very good watch. Very ‘soapy’ but an easy watch, characters you that you can love and hate, drama, a backstory. I’d recommend!
Old Jul 20th 2021, 10:22 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mdonald1987
Virgin River - Netflix. I’m watching over here in the UK and it’s the reason I want to move to BC. It’s actually depicted as being in the US but when I looked in to it, they film mostly in BC. The shots of the landscape, the small town community feel, the lifestyle.. Ok, I know it’s television and not based on reality but it’s exactly what I want. Perhaps a little remote for my family but to be within an hour of somewhere like that would be a dream.

Anyone seen it and recognise some of the locations? It’s mostly waterfalls, pine forests, a beautiful river..

In regards to the actual storyline, it’s a very good watch. Very ‘soapy’ but an easy watch, characters you that you can love and hate, drama, a backstory. I’d recommend!
From what I've read it's filmed around the Lower Mainland (around Vancouver) including Bowen Island as well as Squamish and further up the Fraser valley. Many made for TV and made for Netflix productions are filmed here to look like small town or big city USA due to lower production costs. I certainly don't experience a small town community lifestyle here. Yes, the sites are an hour or less away but I've found with the increasing traffic you have to get up early on the weekend if you want to get parking.
Old Jul 21st 2021, 5:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The Newfoundland TV/Film industry seems to be going from strength to strength. This was filmed further down out street earlier in the year. It looks......a bit crap tbh!

Old Jul 21st 2021, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
From what I've read it's filmed around the Lower Mainland (around Vancouver) including Bowen Island as well as Squamish and further up the Fraser valley. Many made for TV and made for Netflix productions are filmed here to look like small town or big city USA due to lower production costs. I certainly don't experience a small town community lifestyle here. Yes, the sites are an hour or less away but I've found with the increasing traffic you have to get up early on the weekend if you want to get parking.
I hadn’t thought about things like traffic and parking. I guess when the cities grow and grow, so to does the throng of tourists to these beautiful landscapes. Is anywhere authentic anymore?
Old Jul 25th 2021, 12:44 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Binged "Clarkson's Farm" last night and today. Not a bad show. I'm not the world's biggest JC fan, and he did grate a fair bit, but that's par the course really. I do wonder how many of the situations were scripted, as there were some moments when I wasn't sure if it was truly real, for example, someone's truck being parked where it was.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever watched the old show 'Twin Peaks'? The opening scenes from that show make me want to go to Washington State!

Also, the (fantastic!) sci-fi comedy 'Resident Alien' is nominally 'set' in Colorado but is actually filmed at various locations in BC.

However, I do caution moving anywhere based on TV shows ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 25th 2021 at 5:14 am.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 2:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Old Jul 25th 2021, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Have you ever watched the old show 'Twin Peaks'? The opening scenes from that show make me want to go to Washington State!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lkvrMa27c

Also, the (fantastic!) sci-fi comedy 'Resident Alien' is nominally 'set' in Colorado but is actually filmed at various locations in BC.

I could visit there fairly easily if/when I move to BC!

And you're right, I'm not to move to BC purely off the back of watching a TV show but it was the inspiration for it. I've always wanted to live somewhere (anywhere?) other than the UK. I have a fear of living and dying within 30 mins of where I was born (my actual reality up to now), given how big the world is. It isn't just the distance but the culture/lifestyle too. I think I'd be more inclined to spend more time outdoors (maybe even exercise more) if it was somewhere like where Virgin River/Twin Peaks was set. Good for both physical and mental health.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Exterior scenes are done all over the lower mainland, Bowen Island and up into Squamish.

Exterior of Jacks Bar is the Watershed Grill in Squamish which is an actual place you can go and eat, quite decent food. Although the interior shots of Jacks Bar are done in studio so don't expect to be the same inside.

122 First Street in New Westminster for Doc's house.

Mel's Cabin is the caretakers cabin at Murdo Frazer Park

Welcome to Virgin River sign in the first episode is Pioneer Avenue in Aggasiz, which is at the east end of the Fraser Valley

Virgin River Mayors Home is in Burnaby.

Shannon Falls in Squamish was also a location used.

Deer Lake Park and Foreshore Park in Burnaby has been used

Steveston Harbor in Richmond

Cleveland Dam in North Vancouver

Various locations around Squamish

Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge

You can find a bunch more of the locations used

https://www.atlasofwonders.com/2019/...locations.html
Old Jul 26th 2021, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Exterior scenes are done all over the lower mainland, Bowen Island and up into Squamish.

Exterior of Jacks Bar is the Watershed Grill in Squamish which is an actual place you can go and eat, quite decent food. Although the interior shots of Jacks Bar are done in studio so don't expect to be the same inside.

Welcome to Virgin River sign in the first episode is Pioneer Avenue in Aggasiz, which is at the east end of the Fraser Valley

This is brilliant, thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed reading that
Old Jul 26th 2021, 4:55 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Fun fact:
The x-files show in the 90's used my apartment in North Vancouver to film a scene, and I met Mulder and Scully

Old Jul 27th 2021, 6:03 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Ashes to Ashes, all three series, popped up on BritBox so it's time for a watch of that

Though it's a little way off, Foundation on AppleTV+ looks good. I read the book and remember a little bit about it.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 6:14 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Ashes to Ashes, all three series, popped up on BritBox so it's time for a watch of that

Though it's a little way off, Foundation on AppleTV+ looks good. I read the book and remember a little bit about it.
Life on Mars & Ashes to ashes is one of my all time favourite UK TV shows. I wish there was a way to un-watch it so that I can watch it again.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 9:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Life on Mars & Ashes to ashes is one of my all time favourite UK TV shows. I wish there was a way to un-watch it so that I can watch it again.
There is. It's called ageing.
less with TV than movies but I often start watching a movie that looks familiar and I remember bits and pieces as they happen but not before. So it's kind of like watching anew.

Old Jul 28th 2021, 3:45 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Originally Posted by Danny B
I could not remember if we had finished series two of Life On Mars, and we only watched that a few months ago I can remember the odd bit about Ashes to Ashes, so for the most part it is like watching it again. Trying to explain George. Zippy, and Rainbow to my girlfriend whose never seen it is a little complicated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.