Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Stumbled across 'Resident Alien' on the 'SyFy' channel the other night. OMG I can't remember laughing so hard! It's a totally silly comedy, about an alien who crash-lands on earth and integrates into a small mountain community in Colorado (stunning scenery, by the way). He integrates by magically transforming how he appears to others. But one young kid in the town somehow sees him for who he is, and that's one of the major comedy angles (of course no one believes the kid). He also gets recruited to be the town doctor, and ... being a hyper-intelligent being from outer-space, has no problem figuring out human anatomy and how to fix it - another major comedy angle.

Anyway - it just hit the spot for me and I binge-watched all four episodes, and can't wait for the next episode.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 2:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Stumbled across 'Resident Alien' on the 'SyFy' channel the other night. .
That looks fun. I'll add that.

Did you ever see the movie Paul? I seem to recall that was a good giggle.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That looks fun. I'll add that.

Did you ever see the movie Paul? I seem to recall that was a good giggle.
Yes, really enjoyed it! Do report back on 'Resident Alien'!
Old Feb 24th 2021, 7:29 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Stumbled across 'Resident Alien' on the 'SyFy' channel the other night. OMG I can't remember laughing so hard! It's a totally silly comedy, about an alien who crash-lands on earth and integrates into a small mountain community in Colorado (stunning scenery, by the way). He integrates by magically transforming how he appears to others. But one young kid in the town somehow sees him for who he is, and that's one of the major comedy angles (of course no one believes the kid). He also gets recruited to be the town doctor, and ... being a hyper-intelligent being from outer-space, has no problem figuring out human anatomy and how to fix it - another major comedy angle.

Anyway - it just hit the spot for me and I binge-watched all four episodes, and can't wait for the next episode.
I've just started on this, episode one was a smiler, episode two a chuckler, episode three made me laugh out loud.

And indeed the scenery is superb.

Good pointer, thank you.
Old Feb 24th 2021, 10:59 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
I've just started on this, episode one was a smiler, episode two a chuckler, episode three made me laugh out loud.

And indeed the scenery is superb.

Good pointer, thank you.
Scenery is around Vancouver,

I've watched the first episode and it was ok. Husband not impressed. I'll give episode 2 a try
Old Feb 25th 2021, 12:07 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
That's exceptional TV.

The director is a genius.

He produced this in 2013:https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2358891/ which is arguably the best film I've ever seen and won the some what racist "Best Foreign Movie" at the Oscars that year.
I'll take a look at that. I plan on rewatching the Popes too as there are so many layers.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 12:10 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, really enjoyed it! Do report back on 'Resident Alien'!
Two episodes in and very good. I like the unpredictability - like first time bowling. All the calculations and diagrams as he's lining up to bowl...and then

Family Guy writer!

I saw the scenery and town was in BC. I looked it up because it looked so much like Boulder did in Mork and Mindy.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Two episodes in and very good. I like the unpredictability - like first time bowling. All the calculations and diagrams as he's lining up to bowl...and then

Family Guy writer!

I saw the scenery and town was in BC. I looked it up because it looked so much like Boulder did in Mork and Mindy.
This article gives a great description of filming locations: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/reside...ocations-guide

the outside of Harry’s cozy lakeside cabin was a facade at Britannia Beach, which actually borders an inlet, not a lake. It’s part of the Howe Sound.

When it came to sequences set atop snowy glaciers, the crew used two locations within British Columbia’s famous
Sea-to-Sky Corridor: Rainbow Mountain and the Pemberton Ice Cap. “Both of those locations were helicopter access only”

For the Patience exteriors and Main Street, the production broke from tradition by leaving the comfort and familiarity of Vancouver’s city limits for
Ladysmith, a small town on Vancouver Island that can only be accessed by ferry.

I decided to start over from the beginning and really enjoying a second pass! my favorite line so far (or perhaps just 'most unexpected line!): "No, but I am into putting my pants back on before the breeze dries out the lettuce". (doctor is giving a woman a pelvic exam ...)

Here's another exchange that cracked me up in episode 4:

Spoiler:
Where are you from?

New York City.

I’ve always wanted to live there.

What is it like?

New York has…

It has law.

And it has order.

There are police who investigate the crimes, and there are district attorneys who… prosecute the offenders.

It has women who have sex in the city.
(our alien is getting everything he knows about human life from watching TV shows; this is a direct quote from the TV show 'law and order' and 'sex in the city').

Last edited by Steerpike; Feb 25th 2021 at 9:00 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 3:10 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tip, Wife and I binged watched 4 over the last 2 nights. I believe #5 is out now as well.
Old Feb 27th 2021, 12:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Hulu but looks interesting especially if you were a teen in the 1990's in US.

Old Feb 27th 2021, 4:20 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The movie I worked on is on Crave. Target Number One. I haven't seen it yet.
Old Feb 27th 2021, 3:11 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The movie I worked on is on Crave. Target Number One. I haven't seen it yet.
This one? It looks good.

Old Mar 1st 2021, 2:22 pm
Tea Drinker

This show is really good, on Netflix. It follows Louise, a single mom with a son and a part-time job in a psychiatrist's office. She begins an affair with her boss and strikes up an unlikely friendship with his wife.

Old Mar 1st 2021, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
This show is really good, on Netflix. It follows Louise, a single mom with a son and a part-time job in a psychiatrist's office. She begins an affair with her boss and strikes up an unlikely friendship with his wife.
That is next on my list of things to watch.

Thought this movie was very good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9893250/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Old Mar 1st 2021, 5:54 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

We got up to date with Wandavision over a couple of nights. First two episodes were odd, then it started to seriously kick in from the end of the third episode onwards.

Taskmaster continues to thoroughly amuse us too.

Started on "For All Mankind" which is on AppleTV+. Basic premise is: What would have happened if Russian landed on the moon first? So far rather good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.