Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Dec 22nd 2020, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by bats
Has anyone mentioned Das Boot? Season 2 is on Gem,

I enjoyed The Flight Attendant too.
I thought the Flight Attendant to be very odd. Gave up after the first ep.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 6:11 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I have literally just finished watching "The Ripper". I have heard of the ripper, and known their real name, and read a few things about it over the years, for example, I recall that the actor Bruce Jones had discovered Jean Jordan. I think this is the first series I've really watched that covered what happen.
From a show viewpoint, it is very informative, I cannot say "good" as that isn't something I can say about the subject matter involved, it would diminish the loss of life.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What people tend to forget that his spree began in 1975 and ended in 1981. The police came in for a lot of criticism some justified but if you sit back and compare it to policing today for the 1st 6 murders they had no forensic evidence and basically looking for a needle in a haystack. No CCTV, no APNR cameras to catch vehicle registration numbers, very limited computer resources and I suspect a few other things. They even had to reinforce the main floor of the police station due to the amount of paperwork kept on file and being used to try and link and catch Sutcliffe.
I was a youngster at the start of his spree so my memories are somewhat faded. I do remember Leeds supporters taunting the Police with chants of 'You'll never catch the Ripper"
It never did mention if they ever found the person responsible for the letters and the famous tape sent to the Police. What a sick individual(s) they were.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 7:28 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What people tend to forget that his spree began in 1975 and ended in 1981. The police came in for a lot of criticism some justified but if you sit back and compare it to policing today for the 1st 6 murders they had no forensic evidence and basically looking for a needle in a haystack. No CCTV, no APNR cameras to catch vehicle registration numbers, very limited computer resources and I suspect a few other things. They even had to reinforce the main floor of the police station due to the amount of paperwork kept on file and being used to try and link and catch Sutcliffe.
I was a youngster at the start of his spree so my memories are somewhat faded. I do remember Leeds supporters taunting the Police with chants of 'You'll never catch the Ripper"
It never did mention if they ever found the person responsible for the letters and the famous tape sent to the Police. What a sick individual(s) they were.
I did wonder about the tape an letters, so did a quick search and found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wearside_Jack
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm revisiting 'Westworld' on HBO. I really enjoyed the first season, but got hopefully lost with Season 2 due to the way they mess with the timelines. But I found a really cool 'explainer' guy on YouTube, who really figured it out and now it makes more sense.
Here's his 'Westworld Season 1 explained' video -
From that page (you have to visit the actual YT site to see all this), you can get detailed per-episode explainers for all of season 2. There's no way on earth I'd ever have figured out half the stuff he explains; I guess some people pay a lot more attention than me! The first 3-4 minutes of the above 'season 1 explained' video gives a good summary intro to the show without revealing spoilers.

The show is beautifully filmed in what looks like the Moab area of Utah, and tackles some interesting themes along the lines of free will and consciousness. The high-level synopsis is, Westworld is a theme park in the future staffed with robots who are indistinguishable from humans. You can have sex with them or have a shoot-out with them, all without having to worry about the morality of it since they are 'only robots'. But the robots ('hosts' in the show) develop a consciousness of their own and start to rebel. Anthony Hopkins lends his gravitas to season 1, and the whole thing is a visual spectacle (plus plenty of nudity - including Thandie Newton ).

The complexity comes from having multiple timelines running concurrently, and they are intentionally subtle about it. It's only near the end of season 1 that you figure out that 'person x' and 'person y' are the same person, 30 years apart .... In season 2, they take a similar approach and that's where I got lost, until I discovered the you tube guy above! I'm now really enjoying my second attempt at season 2, and plan to go back and watch season 1 again with all my new found insight.

Last edited by Steerpike; Dec 22nd 2020 at 8:36 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 10:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought the Flight Attendant to be very odd. Gave up after the first ep.
I like weird. The first episode was a bit meh, but it improved considerably. Stayed weird though.

Originally Posted by sharkus
I have literally just finished watching "The Ripper". I have heard of the ripper, and known their real name, and read a few things about it over the years, for example, I recall that the actor Bruce Jones had discovered Jean Jordan. I think this is the first series I've really watched that covered what happen.
From a show viewpoint, it is very informative, I cannot say "good" as that isn't something I can say about the subject matter involved, it would diminish the loss of life.
I'm 3 episodes in after your recommendation so dinner is late tonight. I've found the femism aspects especially interesting, the police calling the first two dead victims prostitutes when they were not and then focusing on red light areas, not linking previous assaults on "respectable" women to the killings. One of those women heard his voice and said he was local, the attitudesvof the time giving little or no regard to victims because they were "loose women "
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I presume this is the one -
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/th...er-1234605444/
sounds worth watching indeed. Funny thing is, I was living in the UK at the time and don't remember much about it at all! I will move it to the top of my list.
Old Dec 23rd 2020, 3:11 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Yes, I believe that is the one.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Has anyone mentioned Das Boot? Season 2 is on Gem,

I enjoyed The Flight Attendant too.

I really liked the Flight Attendant, now waiting for season 2 as it's been renewed so much have done well audience wise. I binged watched all 8 episodes in one day....

I discovered it by chance due to a free trial of Crave that the cable company gave us for a month, normally we don't have Crave or HBO related shows, so perfect timing with the free trial.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 5:29 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

‘Bridgerton’ on Netflix - started out well but how many sex scenes did they really need to have in episodes 6 onwards and the ending was just so predictable. (I haven’t read the books)

The costumes and scenery were amazing but the main actress (Daphne) was poor in comparison to the other characters - I just didn’t like her!

It was also annoying how they added modern music and made it classical - there was a Billy Ellish (or whatever the heck she is called) piece in there

Anyway, if you want a sexed up version of Downtown Abbey without the downstairs staff (very little is shown of the hired help) then maybe this is for you.

Probably not going to watch the second season

Last edited by beckiwoo; Dec 29th 2020 at 5:32 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 5:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Watched The Undoing on Crave/HBO. Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman. I quite enjoyed it...wasn’t brilliant but watchable IMO.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8134470/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Then I decided to watch Big, Little Lies. 3 eps...so far so good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3920596/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Old Dec 30th 2020, 12:08 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
‘Bridgerton’ on Netflix - started out well but how many sex scenes did they really need to have in episodes 6 onwards and the ending was just so predictable. (I haven’t read the books)

The costumes and scenery were amazing but the main actress (Daphne) was poor in comparison to the other characters - I just didn’t like her!

It was also annoying how they added modern music and made it classical - there was a Billy Ellish (or whatever the heck she is called) piece in there

Anyway, if you want a sexed up version of Downtown Abbey without the downstairs staff (very little is shown of the hired help) then maybe this is for you.

I watched the first two episodes but then gave up...Jane Austin must have been turning in her grave...I enjoyed Sanditon...much the same, great scenery, super costumes and a nice bit of smut...but you can’t rewrite history quite that much...
Old Dec 30th 2020, 2:32 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I watched the first two episodes but then gave up...Jane Austin must have been turning in her grave...I enjoyed Sanditon...much the same, great scenery, super costumes and a nice bit of smut...but you can’t rewrite history quite that much...
I’m glad I’m not the only one. I put a similar comment on the Netflix page on the series and have received some very heated and insulting comments back.

I’ll have to check out Sanditon
Old Dec 30th 2020, 2:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I put a similar comment on the Netflix page on the series and have received some very heated and insulting comments back.

From what I’ve read about it, many people agree with you.
Old Jan 2nd 2021, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
From what I’ve read about it, many people agree with you.
I watched Bridgerton over 3 nights. Overall, quite enjoyed it but I agree, Daphne was not as strong as the rest of the cast IMO. There are (at least) two controversial elements to it, which I guess should be put in spoiler tags just in case anyone likes to be surprised
Spoiler:

Half the principle cast are played by black actors, which is 100% historically incorrect but I presume is driven by current 'social justice' trends. This aspect of the show is hotly debated on various social media sites. Once I got used to it, I didn't mind it at all but it does make a mockery of the historical context. These British 'period pieces' are entirely based on class / background, so you only have to look at any player, or listen to their accent, to know exactly where they 'fit' in society (the richest wear the most elaborate clothes, and have the 'finest' accents, while the less well-heeled dress less elaborately, speak with rougher accents, etc). There's just no way anyone from any 'colony' or 'foreign country' would be accepted in that society, so it is just historically 'jarring' to me. But ... as my g/f said ... the actor who played Simon is a hot steaming hunk so she was quite happy!

The other 'controversial' element is what is considered to be a 'rape' scene. Apparently, Daphne's 'move' to get impregnated in episode 6 constitutes rape, which I find to be a bit of a stretch ...

ETA - Julie Andrews is delightful as the narrator!

By the way - if you loved the costumes here, you MUST see the latest 'Emma' movie; I've never seen such amazing costumes. The jackets alone of Mr Woodhouse (Bill Nighy) made me want to get all dressed up and go out (especially weird right now, since I've lived in sweat pants and tee shirts all year thanks to covid and isolation!).

Last edited by Steerpike; Jan 2nd 2021 at 5:31 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.