Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Oct 8th 2020, 2:53 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

It's all about the Z'ha'dum

One of my fave quotes, from Vir to Morden:
"I want to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?"

Last edited by sharkus; Oct 8th 2020 at 2:58 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 5:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
It's all about the Z'ha'dum

One of my fave quotes, from Vir to Morden:
"I want to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?"
...Oh yes..

Old Oct 8th 2020, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
+1 for Lilyhammer, I've just cleared season 2.

Maybe not that "PC", but wine-spittingly funny in parts.

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I'm having less success, though, with lilyhammer. I really enjoyed Season 1, but as season 2 progresses, I'm finding it less and less inventive (or perhaps just too silly). I'll persevere with it and hopefully it will pick up again. Maybe I'm just overdosing on too much Norwegian stuff (I was watching Lilyhammer and Norsemen in parallel).

If you're having trouble with Lilyhammer season 2, best don't hold your breath for season 3... I'm now three episodes in, and really hoping it gets back somehow.
Originally Posted by BristolUK

You absolutely must stick with it. Things happen - not saying what - that will have you whooping with delight after your jaw drops.
I just wrapped up season 3 of Lilyhammer. I think it forgot that it was supposed to be a comedy! I don't think I cracked a smile once during season 3. I would love to get back that wasted 8 hours of my life! Season 1 started out as an unusual storyline with cute and interesting characters, and an amusing insight into Norwegian society. That's not how it ended.
Spoiler:

We have the crazed English Millwall fan beating people up and torturing Torgier; the crazy American gangster who sets up a rival club, and shoots sheep and beats people up; Roar who inexplicably ends up in Rio (and then in jail and then back in Norway and then back in Rio ...) and continues to do stupid stuff at every turn; a stunningly beautiful Brazilian lady inexplicably falling for "Johnny" - who has the personality (and looks) of a brick. And my least favorite character - the social worker (Jan) turned Muslim who kills various women and has the most irritating laugh on the planet. Was there supposed to be something remotely funny about his participation in the show ? We were also treated to a pervert with a lactation fetish. Was there supposed to be a laugh in that whole story arc, somewhere? Altogether, it seemed like a rambling sequence of ill-conceived ideas which achieved absolutely nothing.

Old Oct 8th 2020, 8:28 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I just wrapped up season 3 of Lilyhammer. I think it forgot that it was supposed to be a comedy! I don't think I cracked a smile once during season 3. I would love to get back that wasted 8 hours of my life! Season 1 started out as an unusual storyline with cute and interesting characters, and an amusing insight into Norwegian society. That's not how it ended.
Spoiler:

We have the crazed English Millwall fan beating people up and torturing Torgier; the crazy American gangster who sets up a rival club, and shoots sheep and beats people up; Roar who inexplicably ends up in Rio (and then in jail and then back in Norway and then back in Rio ...) and continues to do stupid stuff at every turn; a stunningly beautiful Brazilian lady inexplicably falling for "Johnny" - who has the personality (and looks) of a brick. And my least favorite character - the social worker (Jan) turned Muslim who kills various women and has the most irritating laugh on the planet. Was there supposed to be something remotely funny about his participation in the show ? We were also treated to a pervert with a lactation fetish. Was there supposed to be a laugh in that whole story arc, somewhere? Altogether, it seemed like a rambling sequence of ill-conceived ideas which achieved absolutely nothing.

I quite agree.

It peaked for me in season one. I found season two vaguely amusing in parts, but less so overall, and got absolutely zip from season three.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 1:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You absolutely must stick with it. Things happen - not saying what - that will have you whooping with delight after your jaw drops.
I just wrapped up season 3 of Lilyhammer. I think it forgot that it was supposed to be a comedy! I don't think I cracked a smile once during season 3. I would love to get back that wasted 8 hours of my life!
Spoiler:

I quite agree.

It peaked for me in season one. I found season two vaguely amusing in parts, but less so overall, and got absolutely zip from season three.
Well I got that a tad wrong then.

I prefer to think of it as character/story development.
Old Oct 11th 2020, 3:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11989890/?ref_=tt_urv

This was both fascinating and horrifying at the same time. God forbid any child born after 2050.
The sixth extinction is coming...

Available on Netflix.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 12:19 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Binged "Snowpiercer" tv show over the weekend. I rather enjoyed the film, and so the show appealed. Obviously quite a few differences between both, but still rather good.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 12:00 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I've just finished season 4 of The Expanse, really enjoyed it. Whilst waiting for season 5 to come to air, does anyone have anything similar to recommend?
Season 5 starts December 16th & a trailer dropped this week....

Old Oct 14th 2020, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Ozark season 3 finished. Still as good as ever.

I enjoyed season 1 of Ozark; I found season 2 rather far-fetched, and gave up at the end of that season. But after a long break (and in desperation, having given up on several other shows including 'The Umbrella Academy'), I resumed season 3 and it seems much better - more like season 1.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Bad Blood on Netflix. Based on a true story about Canadian mob boss Vito Rizzuto. First time I watched both series was a few years ago.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6423364/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Old Oct 14th 2020, 12:53 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Season 5 starts December 16th & a trailer dropped this week....

https://youtu.be/caLji74IIp4
Cheers for the heads-up.

I take your point about Babylon 5 and cheese, I'm having a bit of trouble getting into it, might even have to revisit SG-1.

Lost in Space is going down quite well however.
Old Oct 17th 2020, 4:34 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11989890/?ref_=tt_urv

This was both fascinating and horrifying at the same time. God forbid any child born after 2050.
The sixth extinction is coming...

Available on Netflix.
I watched that the other day. When it got to 2080 predictions I thought of ‘Soylent Green’.

Scary stuff, because if we don’t make these changes we are doomed!
Old Oct 19th 2020, 5:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone mentioned Tin Star?
Old Oct 20th 2020, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I enjoyed season 1 of Ozark; I found season 2 rather far-fetched, and gave up at the end of that season. But after a long break (and in desperation, having given up on several other shows including 'The Umbrella Academy'), I resumed season 3 and it seems much better - more like season 1.
Wow - I just wrapped up Ozark season 3. I found season 3 to be VASTLY improved over season 2. Season 2 seemed full of far-fetched storylines, but season 3 was much 'tighter' and more plausible in my view. There's one specific aspect of Season 3 I really enjoyed, and would be interested in anyone else's thoughts. I'm putting it in 'spoiler' tags because if you haven't seen it, I don't want to spoil it for you!
Spoiler:

In Season 3, we meet 'Ben' the brother of Wendy. We later discover he's bipolar and, for various reasons, he 'goes off his meds', and things go downhill for him in a hurry. I found the acting to be rather amazing, and it really brought home to me the difficulties of mental health issues. Since I don't have personal exposure to anyone who is 'bipolar', I can't say it's realistic but boy - what a difficult situation. This was the best part of the entire show, so far, for me (though thoroughly depressing).

Old Oct 20th 2020, 9:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - I just wrapped up Ozark season 3. I found season 3 to be VASTLY improved over season 2. Season 2 seemed full of far-fetched storylines, but season 3 was much 'tighter' and more plausible in my view. There's one specific aspect of Season 3 I really enjoyed, and would be interested in anyone else's thoughts. I'm putting it in 'spoiler' tags because if you haven't seen it, I don't want to spoil it for you!
Spoiler:

In Season 3, we meet 'Ben' the brother of Wendy. We later discover he's bipolar and, for various reasons, he 'goes off his meds', and things go downhill for him in a hurry. I found the acting to be rather amazing, and it really brought home to me the difficulties of mental health issues. Since I don't have personal exposure to anyone who is 'bipolar', I can't say it's realistic but boy - what a difficult situation. This was the best part of the entire show, so far, for me (though thoroughly depressing).

I enjoyed Ozark...sadly the next season (4) will be the last.

Have you watched Bloodline? I thought it was quite good...although it is not so good towards the end IMO. Set in the Florida Keys. Available on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3520702/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.