Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old May 11th 2020, 6:58 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Danny B
Season 2 of 'Dead to Me' came out on Netflix last week. So far so good, seems to be as good as the 1st season.
Somewhat tangential, I saw this post, thought that rings a bell, re-read it, but no, what that triggered was "Lie to Me".

Did a search, and found magnumpi's post. I never realised there was a third season, I had the first two seasons on DVD, now I have just downloaded season 3.

Thanks both!
Old May 11th 2020, 7:18 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Brilliant! Thanks.

Just in time to replace Fauda and Ozark. I watched Warrior with the guy who was in the Dicte series and Springfloden, but it was really only of 'make do' standard.
You are very welcome.

We've been giving BritBox a fair old battering in the last week or two. Finished off Harlots yesterday. Near the end of series 1 of Life on Mars. Finished all the 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown on there. Couple of episodes of The Sweeney watched. Continued with Midsomer Murders (since it was removed from Netflix Canada), and we're nearly at the end of series 2 of Spooks, whoops, sorry "MI-5".

I'm slightly ashamed to admit we have also been watching Tiger King (top tip, skip episode 1 and go right to episode 2). I know, I know. It's bat-s**t-loco, and very close to making you wonder if it's all just a mockumentary, but, well, it gets it's claws into you (pun very much intended).
Old May 12th 2020, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus

I'm slightly ashamed to admit we have also been watching Tiger King (top tip, skip episode 1 and go right to episode 2). I know, I know. It's bat-s**t-loco, and very close to making you wonder if it's all just a mockumentary, but, well, it gets it's claws into you (pun very much intended).
Hey there cool cats and kittens.

Wait until you see a eulogy at a funeral later on.....
Old May 12th 2020, 2:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Billions Season 5 has just started.(2nd episode dropped on Crave yesterday). Recommended.
Old May 12th 2020, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Narcos, and Narcos: Mexico are both rather good.

We've been watching Life on Mars, for me re-watching, and for my girlfriend it's the first time she's seen it. Still holds up pretty well. We've also been re-watching Sherlock. Still a brilliant show. Interesting to see the changes in technology and other things from when it came out.
Narcos and Narcos: Mexico were both excellent. Just finished Snowfall which was good although it doesn't seem credible that any crack distributors had the social conscience suggested. Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes are always worth watching, didn't see much of them first time around.

Last Kingdom is good, 4th series out now. Going through the Vera back catalogue, some of the storylines are a little weak but locations and characters make it worth watching. Started Normal People which is excellent, may even be tempted to get the book. Noticed "Pet" was said a few times on Normal People which I've only ever heard used in the north east, didn't realise it was also used in Ireland?

Also been watching the 1970s Survivors series on YouTube until I realised the episodes are out of sequence. May get a DVD to watch.
Old May 12th 2020, 3:37 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

Wait until you see a eulogy at a funeral later on.....
I'm trying to imagine it, but, well, I suspect it's far, far crazier than even my imagination can conjure up!
Old May 12th 2020, 3:38 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Originally Posted by jimf
Narcos and Narcos: Mexico were both excellent. Just finished Snowfall which was good although it doesn't seem credible that any crack distributors had the social conscience suggested. Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes are always worth watching, didn't see much of them first time around.

Last Kingdom is good, 4th series out now. Going through the Vera back catalogue, some of the storylines are a little weak but locations and characters make it worth watching. Started Normal People which is excellent, may even be tempted to get the book. Noticed "Pet" was said a few times on Normal People which I've only ever heard used in the north east, didn't realise it was also used in Ireland?

Also been watching the 1970s Survivors series on YouTube until I realised the episodes are out of sequence. May get a DVD to watch.
It seems Britbox doesn't have the earlier series of Vera I have read a couple of the books, so was hoping to watch the early ones.
Old May 12th 2020, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to imagine it, but, well, I suspect it's far, far crazier than even my imagination can conjure up!
Yep, it is cringeworthy especially for the deceaseds mother.

All I can see is I'm glad I don't live in the USA.
Old May 12th 2020, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

It seems Britbox doesn't have the earlier series of Vera I have read a couple of the books, so was hoping to watch the early ones.
They seem to come and go on the ITV player. Is Britbox worth getting?
Old May 12th 2020, 4:36 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
That has to be the most annoying phrase in the world right now.

Old May 12th 2020, 4:43 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Originally Posted by jimf
They seem to come and go on the ITV player. Is Britbox worth getting?
I received a birthday gift of a years subscription. The content is pretty good. The Apple TV app is ok. it works, but there have been odd issues with it now and then, but it works.

I think you can view the list of content on their website without an account, plus they have a 7 day free trial too.
Old May 18th 2020, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

They don't have ashes to ashes though
is on uktvplay
Old May 19th 2020, 2:49 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Tiger King was finished, umm, yeah. Very odd indeed.

We finished off season 3 of Bordertown the other day. Still a great show, really interested to see if there will be a season 4.

Needed more scando / nordic type stuff, so we binged Borderliner. Just like the other similar stuff, beautiful scenery, populated with some interesting humans.

Went back to MI-5 and finished off series 2. Some laughter with 8 out of 10 cats, then back to Sherlock series 3. Yes, we are all over the place!
Old May 19th 2020, 5:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Needed more scando / nordic type stuff, so we binged Borderliner. Just like the other similar stuff, beautiful scenery, populated with some interesting humans.
Just in case you've not seen any of these...all very good shows.
Springfloden. Trapped. Dicte: Crime Reporter. Midnight Sun. Salamander. Glacé. Deadwind. La Mante. The Break. Case. Unit 42. Valhalla Murders. Mammon. Dicte is a little less dark.
The world is your Løbstër

More tricky to find is Varg Veum a series of one off movies with a story arc of the developing relationship (not that kind of relationship ) between PI and cop.

Incidentally, as you like Spooks, you should like the French series The Bureau/Le Bureau des Légendes. Get into it, then realise there are five seasons and you'll be in heaven.
Old May 19th 2020, 5:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

This is a bit niche, but as a family we are watching the crime drama "Hudson & Rex" - available on Global TV. It's an entirely unprepossessing remake of an Austrian series about a detective (Hudson) and his canine partner (Rex) but its entertaining enough stuff. The niche bit is that its filmed in St John's but unlike the other detective series filmed here - Republic of Doyle, which is very much a Newfoundland series - it is set here but doesn't reflect the place at all. It could be any city. It is amusing to watch a version of St John's that is rather more ethnically diverse than the place really is but as I say the programme is easily consumed and not very dark (if you get away from the fact that it appears that someone is murdered every week) dark crime fiction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.