Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jan 11th 2020, 4:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
How or where are you watching this? From less than legal sources
This particular one on https://best-series.me/browse-shows but it's also on the usual watch-series too.

And more honest than faking one's location with a vpn and watching BBC without a licience.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 2:11 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

His Dark Materials was finished up last week. I'm very impressed with it, and looking forward to the continuation of it. Unsure if it'll be just one more season or two. No spoilers, but the first season had the start of book two running alongside the events of book one, but it make sense.

Started watching Watchmen. Never read the comics, but had seen the film, which was confusing but interesting. The tv series is, somewhat confusing and bizarre, but it is also pretty good.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 11:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

French Security Services series - The Bureau.

Now up to episode 8. Super stuff. It's like discovering The Bridge all over again with plenty to go.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
French Security Services series - The Bureau.

Now up to episode 8. Super stuff. It's like discovering The Bridge all over again with plenty to go.
Are you some kind of 'speedd watcher' ... do you play all these videos at double-speed, or something? I can't imagine how you can watch all this stuff as well as work! (I'm assuming you work ... no actual reason to think that, now I mention it!).
Old Jan 17th 2020, 12:22 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Are you some kind of 'speedd watcher' ... do you play all these videos at double-speed, or something? I can't imagine how you can watch all this stuff as well as work! (I'm assuming you work ... no actual reason to think that, now I mention it!).
I retired early (47) when I came to Canada in 2004

As it happens, though, it's only the evenings when I watch and it's rare I do more than two episodes of anything in one go. And not every night.

If I was working 9-5 I don't imagine it would make any difference.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I retired early (47) when I came to Canada in 2004

As it happens, though, it's only the evenings when I watch and it's rare I do more than two episodes of anything in one go. And not every night.

If I was working 9-5 I don't imagine it would make any difference.
Very good - 'twas just an impression I got!

Congrats on early retirement! I have visions now of you meeting a rich lady who invited you over to Canada for a life of leisure!
Old Jan 17th 2020, 5:06 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I have visions now of you meeting a rich lady who invited you over to Canada for a life of leisure!
In Moncton?
Old Jan 17th 2020, 5:23 pm
Oscar nominated

Congrats on early retirement! I have visions now of you meeting a rich lady who invited you over to Canada for a life of leisure!
Close. Apart from the wealth.

Originally Posted by dave_j
In Moncton?
Very easy to be rich in Moncton. Not many places where the equity in a Victorian 2 bed terraced house will fund retirement with multiple properties and no need of a mortgage.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:38 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Sex Education- the 2nd Series is just out on Netflix. Brilliant and very funny - Gillian Anderson, the Mother and Asa Butterfield, the son are superb. So many instantly recognizable types that we’ve all met and can identify immediately.

Not one to watch ‘with’ your teenager (far too cringeworthy) - but required watching for every teenager without their mum. The sort of series that the British do so very well...enjoy
Old Jan 24th 2020, 1:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
His Dark Materials was finished up last week. I'm very impressed with it, and looking forward to the continuation of it. Unsure if it'll be just one more season or two. No spoilers, but the first season had the start of book two running alongside the events of book one, but it make sense.

Started watching Watchmen. Never read the comics, but had seen the film, which was confusing but interesting. The tv series is, somewhat confusing and bizarre, but it is also pretty good.
I got about three episodes in and quit. It's gorgeously filmed but I struggled with the plot. I may give it another go sometime.

On a different note, I did very much enjoy "James May our man in Japan" on Prime Video. Very much a warmer view of the man than his persona on The Grand Tour and a more nuanced travelogue than I expected.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I got about three episodes in and quit. It's gorgeously filmed but I struggled with the plot. I may give it another go sometime.

On a different note, I did very much enjoy "James May our man in Japan" on Prime Video. Very much a warmer view of the man than his persona on The Grand Tour and a more nuanced travelogue than I expected.

These are quite funny. James May and Richard Hammon I quite enjoy...Jeremy Clarkson is in the Piers Morgan level of annoyance with me.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 11:04 am
Oscar nominated

Right. Here goes.
I was really looking forward to Wisting (BBC). And it's been good so far, though not available 'boxed' yet.

But I was distracted by Le Bureau des Légendes (or just The Bureau to plebs like me) which I've been totally hooked on, living and breathing it ever since, not having returned to Wisting yet. Three seasons of 10 each, a 4th to go and a 5th on the way.

The Bureau may well be my favourite TV series ever.

I have a bias for spy/political thrillers so that kind of influences me. I like James Bond but I do prefer something a bit more believable and with that in mind I have thoroughly enjoyed the Johnny Worricker trilogy, Nobel, The Agency, Rubicon, The Looming Tower, Berlin Station (though a little clichéd like Homeland), Condor, at least three different series with 'State' in the title , there must be others and of course Spooks.

But The Bureau tops the lot. Paris, Brussels, Iraq, Syria, Iran, Turkey, Azerbaijan with CIA, Mossad, the new KGB - I forget theirs, the DGSE...what more could you want?

@ MIllieF - which one did you work for? My money is on the DGSE. What was your code name? You can tell me, I can keep a secret.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 6:08 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

New KGB might be FSB?

Anyway, we finished off Watchmen. *very* odd and confusing, but rather good.
We also binged on Line Of Duty series 5. So much packed into the first episode! Very good series, some serious twists and turns. Looking forward to see what series 6 provides us with.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 6:22 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by sharkus
New KGB might be FSB?
Yep, that's them.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

On Netflix watching a Lebanese production "Al Hayba" which is name of village. It's 30 episodes long but thus far have enjoyed every episode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.