Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jul 31st 2019, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have read about California City before, crazy really, never been though. Haven't been the Salton Sea in decades, we stopped by once when I was a kid going to/from Arizona and California but it was so long ago, I really have no memory of it beyond a couple photos.

I would never live in Salton Sea area, I get why do do as its cheap possibly the cheapest place to buy land in So. California and I guess for some that alone is enough of a reason to live there, and I am sure some of the older folks might have bought in the early days and couldn't sell and got stuck there, but not sure how many older folks who bought back in the boom days are still living.
I did once have a good look at Zillow for the area ... quite fascinating to see what you can buy!
Old Aug 1st 2019, 8:13 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
There's nice show on BBC "800 Words".
I watched series 1 episode 1 earlier, looks very promising.

Thanks for the pointer.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I am wrapping up Season 3.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 1:34 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I am 2 episodes into latest season of Wentworth - I am enjoying it so far but feel they need to end this show soon

Just waiting for Peaky Blinders to come back on!!
Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I am 2 episodes into latest season of Wentworth - I am enjoying it so far but feel they need to end this show soon

Just waiting for Peaky Blinders to come back on!!
I tried to watch a couple episodes of Wentworth. Seems like a good show, I just had trouble understanding the actors with their accents so kept missing things, so I gave up after a few episodes....lol
Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to watch a couple episodes of Wentworth. Seems like a good show, I just had trouble understanding the actors with their accents so kept missing things, so I gave up after a few episodes....lol
Australians don't have an accent, the rest of the world does
Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Australians don't have an accent, the rest of the world does

I like the Australian accent, and I quite liked Australia in the time I spent there, would be at the top of places to visit again. My mistake was only spending 2 weeks, should have maximized my vacation and spent 4 weeks.......
Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Australian accent, and I quite liked Australia in the time I spent there, would be at the top of places to visit again. My mistake was only spending 2 weeks, should have maximized my vacation and spent 4 weeks.......
If you make it over here again and need a place to stay for a few nights in Perth, give me a bell!
Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:17 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

it’s very loosely based on a 1970s series called ‘Prisoner Cell Block H’ a lot of the character names from the original series are the same as well as the name of the prison - Wentworth.

I’ve watched some episodes of the original series but it’s obviously dated now.

‘Bad Girls’ was the UK equivalent from the late 1990s/early 2000s

Im guessing the US equivalent is OITNB but I’ve never watched an episode
Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:22 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

it’s very loosely based on a 1970s series called ‘Prisoner Cell Block H’ a lot of the character names from the original series are the same as well as the name of the prison - Wentworth.

I’ve watched some episodes of the original series but it’s obviously dated now.

‘Bad Girls’ was the UK equivalent from the late 1990s/early 2000s
I was around 13 when the original Prisoner series started, my mum banned me and my slightly older sisters from watching it but we always got around her Another 70s series that was very controversial for its time was Number 96. Full frontal nudity and gay men kissing was more than a lot of oldies could tolerate. We were banned from watching that too, but we still did. Poor mum didn't have much of a chance against the three of us.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:32 am
Account Closed

If you make it over here again and need a place to stay for a few nights in Perth, give me a bell!
I'll likely never make it there again, but will do if I ever do.

Old Aug 14th 2019, 10:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was around 13 when the original Prisoner series started, my mum banned me and my slightly older sisters from watching it but we always got around her Another 70s series that was very controversial for its time was Number 96. Full frontal nudity and gay men kissing was more than a lot of oldies could tolerate. We were banned from watching that too, but we still did. Poor mum didn't have much of a chance against the three of us.
Don't know the Number one but I remember an Aussie series in the 70s that was fairly reliable for someone having their top off every episode. Can't recall the name. Definitely not Skippy
Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:30 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Don't know the Number one but I remember an Aussie series in the 70s that was fairly reliable for someone having their top off every episode. Can't recall the name. Definitely not Skippy
It was probably The Box. I heard from a reliable source that Skippy used to turn the telly on and watch it after Sonny went to bed.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 5:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It was probably The Box. I heard from a reliable source that Skippy used to turn the telly on and watch it after Sonny went to bed.

I think it was Spyforce.

I remember The Flying Doctor being on TV
Old Aug 21st 2019, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Almost at the end of season 2 of Ozark. They've really taken a leaf out of the makers of Breaking Bad book regarding the use of music together with the occasional same technique of leaving you mystified at the beginning of an episode, only to reveal the context later.

I reckon that any "Top Ten Villain" list would include two from this show. The nasty, seedy, FBI man is downright nasty but Janet McTeer's Helen is simply magnificent. She should team up with Villanelle.
Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here, but I am half way through watching season 2 of Ozark (it's on Netflix). I'd give it a solid 8/10
I'm almost done with season 2 of Ozark also. I'd say it's definitely in the top tier, in terms of production quality, acting, plot, etc. I'd say the similarities with Breaking Bad are pretty strong - mild-mannered man (accountant / teacher) turns to a life of crime (money laundering / meth production), puts his entire family in danger. They both present an interesting moral dilemma whereby the main characters 'must' live their lives of crime n order to survive.

The problem for me with Ozark is the credibility of the plot. Whereas in BB, almost every twist and development was well thought out and plausible within the context of the story, Ozark just goes way too far, especially in the department of killing people. Character after character gets killed and nothing ever seems to come of it, despite the FBI swarming around the place. If that many people died in a small town like that, it would be national news.

But still - I like the way 'Marty' maintains a dead-pan expression throughout everything, and the kids are a real treat to watch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.