Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jun 21st 2019, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Catch 22 could be good.
What did you think of the original movie?

The book remains one of my all-time favorites (I think I'd put it in my top 5). The book was 'so good' that I just can't imagine anything coming close to capturing the essence of it, but ... we live in hope! I thought the old movie was 'ok'; certainly an enjoyable watch, but didn't do the book justice.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 7:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
What did you think of the original movie?

The book remains one of my all-time favorites (I think I'd put it in my top 5). The book was 'so good' that I just can't imagine anything coming close to capturing the essence of it, but ... we live in hope! I thought the old movie was 'ok'; certainly an enjoyable watch, but didn't do the book justice.
Loved the movie. Watched it in a reeking of certain substance Whiteladies Cinema, Bristol.
Seen it a few times since.

I tried reading the book a couple of times but couldn't get past the first 50 pages or so. I found the same thing with All The Preident's Men; great movie, couldn't read the book.

Oddly enough, One Flew Over The Cucckoo's Nest; great movie, great book.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 7:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping Up Appearances is on PBS and is very good.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 7:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
My mum's in that.

I never get a word in on the phone.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Loved the movie. Watched it in a reeking of certain substance Whiteladies Cinema, Bristol.
Seen it a few times since.

I tried reading the book a couple of times but couldn't get past the first 50 pages or so. I found the same thing with All The Preident's Men; great movie, couldn't read the book.

Oddly enough, One Flew Over The Cucckoo's Nest; great movie, great book.
Ha! Cuckoo's nest is another in my top 5! For Catch 22, maybe it would have helped if you read it first ... but you'll never know now! The writing style of Joseph Heller was, shall we say, unique. The tone/pace/style of the book was, in my opinion, perfectly in line with the overall theme (the craziness/futility of war). I ended up reading everything he wrote, even including 'something happened' which was 'interesting'. 'Good As Gold' was utterly awesome!
Old Jun 21st 2019, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What's the deal with 'Twin Peaks'? On the plane back from UK recently, this was one of only 5 TV episodes they carried. This was S1E1 from the 2017 series. The show was utterly bizarre. I know David Lynch / Kyle MacLachlan have a history of offbeat shows, and this was no exception. Is it worth pursuing?
Old Jun 21st 2019, 9:35 pm
Oscar nominated

What's the deal with 'Twin Peaks'? On the plane back from UK recently, this was one of only 5 TV episodes they carried. This was S1E1 from the 2017 series. The show was utterly bizarre. I know David Lynch / Kyle MacLachlan have a history of offbeat shows, and this was no exception. Is it worth pursuing?
2017 would be season 3. Twin Peaks: The Return.

It won't mean a great deal if you never saw the first two seasons. The Return was pretty mind blowing (but still great) but much less if familiar with the originals which I watched for about the 4th time prior to the return, what with there being a 26 year gap!!

IMO the originals were the best thing ever on TV until the era of stuff like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

Damn fine coffee.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 9:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

n I thought the old movie was 'ok'; certainly an enjoyable watch, but didn't do the book justice.
No way that it could, that was a fat book (I read it about 3 times in high school). I still watch and enjoy it. I looked at the trailer for the tv series this morning, and it looks like it might be all right.

Old Jun 21st 2019, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

2017 would be season 3. Twin Peaks: The Return.

It won't mean a great deal if you never saw the first two seasons. The Return was pretty mind blowing (but still great) but much less if familiar with the originals which I watched for about the 4th time prior to the return, what with there being a 26 year gap!!

IMO the originals were the best thing ever on TV until the era of stuff like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

Damn fine coffee.
So ... I need to catch up on the original two series then ...? Is it available on Netflix?
Old Jun 21st 2019, 10:07 pm
Oscar nominated

So ... I need to catch up on the original two series then ...? Is it available on Netflix?
Not on the Canada one. Dunno for the USA.

But you could start here (with the safeguards previously mentioned )

If you do get into it, it's two seasons, followed by the movie Fire Walk With Me and then the return.
There are a bunch of books too

Old Jun 22nd 2019, 12:22 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Just started watching “Das Boot” on CBC Gem. Based on the books and the 1981 move/tv series. First sight it’s very good. Captures the claustrophobia and squalor of a submarine well and has enough story outside of the U boat itself to add to the interest.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 12:46 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Just started watching “Das Boot” on CBC Gem. Based on the books and the 1981 move/tv series. First sight it’s very good. Captures the claustrophobia and squalor of a submarine well and has enough story outside of the U boat itself to add to the interest.
An epic series. One of the few portrayals of life in these boats that reeks of realism rather than heroism.
Worth watching more than once.

Old Jun 23rd 2019, 12:11 am
Oscar nominated

Al Hayba on Netflix is quite good. Done episode 3 so far.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Looming Tower is one I would highly recommend.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 6:00 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
It's a funny show isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.