Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Feb 28th 2016, 5:34 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Thanks JamesM for the heads up The Walking Dead is back! Walking the dog in drizzle isn't quite so bad now
Old Feb 28th 2016, 5:53 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

"Lie to me" is good with Tim Roth. I am still on series one of 3. Is easy to find on Netflix or a PC.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1235099/

Last edited by magnumpi; Feb 28th 2016 at 5:56 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Spike Island was a fun film. Brought back a lot of good hazy memories of that era.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 9:23 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
"Lie to me" is good with Tim Roth. I am still on series one of 3. Is easy to find on Netflix or a PC.

Lie to Me (TV Series 2009–2011) - IMDb
Yeah, that's good. He's sexy in an unsavoury way.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:20 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
FU is back in a couple of weeks AFAIK...
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yay. Not sure how much more they can get out of it but I see there already plans for a 5th season for 2017.
Spacey as Underwood still, IMO, isn't as good as Ian Richardson as Francis Urquhart. Particularly on the fourth-wall thing - Urquhart was more co-conspirator with the audience, whereas Underwood is a bit more "look how clever I am" IMO. But then again, the House of Commons is a different animal to Capitol Hill.

I agree with Bristol - don't know how much further FU's character can go. I'll be streaming season 4 when it arrives, but I hope the makers don't fall into the temptation of keeping it going after it's run its course.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 12:03 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Star Trek.

There have been some fan based productions. One in the early 2000s called Star Trek Phase Two. I watched a bit of one and was unimpressed.

But just a couple of years ago there were some made as Star Trek Continues. It really is like watching originals.

The guy who plays Kirk, while not doing a verbal impression, has him off to a T, even down to pushing the intercom button with the side of his fist.

The one playing Bones wasn't too good, but I think a different guy plays him later. I've seen two episodes so far. Oh, and James Doohan's son plays Scotty which is a nice touch.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ymGqXebq4f...87118224_n.jpg
I would say the JJ Abrams Star Trek films do a good job of catching the essence of the original series. I watched them on TV, if that counts.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 1:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I would say the JJ Abrams Star Trek films do a good job of catching the essence of the original series. I watched them on TV, if that counts.
Yes, they did.

In the original series - known as TOS - there was an episode where Kirk and his landing party were returning from a planet but due to some sort of storm they were beamed aboard an Enterprise in a parallel universe, while the same landing party from that parallel universe were beamed to "our" Enterprise.

What we saw on TOS was how Kirk and the others dealt with the situation - the 'other' Enterprise crew were not nice people.

Star Trek Continues (STC) made a sequel to this episode where we follow the 'other' Kirk after it begins with the ending of TOS. It's seamless - other than being different actors but it all looks authentic.

Star Trek Continues
Old Mar 4th 2016, 10:14 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Spacey as Underwood still, IMO, isn't as good as Ian Richardson as Francis Urquhart. Particularly on the fourth-wall thing - Urquhart was more co-conspirator with the audience, whereas Underwood is a bit more "look how clever I am" IMO. But then again, the House of Commons is a different animal to Capitol Hill.

I agree with Bristol - don't know how much further FU's character can go. I'll be streaming season 4 when it arrives, but I hope the makers don't fall into the temptation of keeping it going after it's run its course.
The criticism of Spacey's Underwood is that he is so much smarter than everyone else & that's not believable. i.e. his plots and machinations always succeed when they shouldn't. That changed in series 3 IMHO with the characters of the Russian President & Dunbar, the democratic challenger being particularly strong. It'll be interested to see where Season 4 goes - the first of which I watched before work this morning!

I recently rewatched the UK version & it still stands the test of time. Ian Richardson is absolutely glorious in a completely different way to the Kevin Spacey character. I enjoy both though.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 2:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
There's a new series starting next week, The Night Manager, it's from a John Le Carre book. Should be good.
Originally Posted by Oink
The Night Manager was pretty good, plus unlike a lot of those northern dramas you could understand what they were saying.
Another for The Night Manager. Just watched part one tonight and I'll likely go straight to parts 2 & 3 tomorrow.

Tell you what, if the rumours about Tom Hiddlestone are true he'll be every bit as good as Daniel Craig.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 10:39 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

I recently rewatched the UK version & it still stands the test of time. Ian Richardson is absolutely glorious in a completely different way to the Kevin Spacey character. I enjoy both though.
I completely agree with this AX. Ian Richardson was spellbindingly, dryly, evily wonderful. I really didn't think Kevin Spacey could pull it off, but he did in spades....I also liked the transision to the US as it explained more of their political system...about which I am permanently confused.

Last edited by MillieF; Mar 7th 2016 at 10:40 am. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 7th 2016, 1:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
....I also liked the transision to the US as it explained more of their political system...about which I am permanently confused.
I never even try to understand the US system.

Something that can put the likes of Reagan, Arnie, Palin and Trump into positions of power isn't really worth understanding is it.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 9:48 pm
Oscar nominated

Loving the locations in The Night Manager.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 2:30 am
Oscar nominated

Old Mar 12th 2016, 11:21 am
Oscar nominated

Line of Duty back for a third series soon.
'The easiest way to kill someone? Be a cop' – Line of Duty, the police show for our times | Television & radio | The Guardian
Very like Between The Lines from a good few years ago.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 2:00 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'm loving the recent episodes of The Walking Dead- nicely flipping from one character group to another... Who can resist a good storyline, pretty good script and a few slavering zombies...? Apart from Snoop that is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.