Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Go for it Harry marry Meghan.

Go for it Harry marry Meghan.

Old Nov 28th 2017, 9:41 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go for it Harry marry Meghan.

Originally Posted by Oink
I think the British people would be for more willing to splash the cash on a house for them if it was somewhere like Pitcairn Island or the Tibetan plateau so we never have to see or hear about them ever again.
Or if it was like one of these reality programmes where we got to vote them out. As it is, it's like the cast of the first series of "I'm A Celebrity..." is still in every series since, ans everyone has to bow or curtsey to them.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Oh - remember that they will also be given a substantial multi-bedroom central London "apartment" on top of their main country residence.

Most of us realise that Downton Abbey is just a TV programme. But for some it is still a way of life, and WE pay for it!!!!
That makes it sound that UK taxpayers 100% fund the monarchy getting nothing back which is not the case.

BTW the Civil List was abolished several years ago & was replaced by the Sovereign Grant.
The Monarchy receives monies in exchange for Crown Estate revenue. The exchequer receives more into the country's coffers for the nation than it pays out to the Monarchy. Please feel free to check the financial figures.

This wedding will not be a state occasion , unlike that demanded by Thatcher for her poxy funeral. The Royal Family will pay for this wedding. Who pays for the security remains unclear at this time. It may well be a 'grant' to help costs.

Whichever and however, you will all be able to see exactly how it panned out when the financial reports are published.

From what is read Prince Harry will be paying for his own home. He had an inheritance from his mother and funds from the Duchy I believe.

So. It is not that the GB public 100% fund the monarchy at all. Unlike that of the muppets in Parliament.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Well whether your a royalist, a monarchist or republican. The monarch is here to stay for the foreeable future, and to be fair they are changing with times to stay relevant.

Prince Harry fought on the front line in Afghanistan at his request, and works tirelessly and passionately for charity causes, and probably will even more so now once married to Meghan Markle. Im not sure what else he could do to appease the republicans, he is a great ambassador for the UK.

As we know the monarch and the royal family brings more capital into the UK than it costs the tax payer, which is no where as near as much as people imagine way less than a pound per person I believe. So I just don't understand why people get all bent out of shape about it costing so much money....what would the UK replace it with...some corrupt politician who would cost just as much? It serves no purpose to change it.

Its a free world everyone has there opinion, but I think there are bigger things in the UK that really are a huge waste if tax payers money. I don't see whats wrong with live and let live, and let a great historic tradition continue into the future. Just my opinion.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well whether your a royalist, a monarchist or republican. The monarch is here to stay for the foreeable future, and to be fair they are changing with times to stay relevant.

Prince Harry fought on the front line in Afghanistan at his request, and works tirelessly and passionately for charity causes, and probably will even more so now once married to Meghan Markle. Im not sure what else he could do to appease the republicans, he is a great ambassador for the UK.

As we know the monarch and the royal family brings more capital into the UK than it costs the tax payer, which is no where as near as much as people imagine way less than a pound per person I believe. So I just don't understand why people get all bent out of shape about it costing so much money....what would the UK replace it with...some corrupt politician who would cost just as much? It serves no purpose to change it.

Its a free world everyone has there opinion, but I think there are bigger things in the UK that really are a huge waste if tax payers money. I don't see whats wrong with live and let live, and let a great historic tradition continue into the future. Just my opinion.
And how is that?

Is the cost more to do with the damage of the symbolism, that by an accident of birth some human beings are more important and better than others?

Last edited by Oink; Nov 28th 2017 at 10:19 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

And how is that?

Is the cost more to do with the damage of the symbolism, that by an accident of birth some human beings are more important and better than others?
I think I don't understand this post of your Oink.

People were moaning about costs in GBP terms to the UK taxpayer. However figures show this to be an erroneous concern.

I don't equate Royalty or the Wealthy as being more important or better than me. They do their thing. I do mine.

Are you talking a class system?

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 28th 2017 at 10:32 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I think I don't understand this post of your Oink.

People were moaning about costs in GBP terms to the UK taxpayer. However figures show this to be an erroneous concern.

I don't equate Royalty or the Wealthy as being more important or better than me. They do their thing. I do mine.

Are you talking a class system?
It's not an erroneous concern. It's a facile argument to suggest that without a monarchy there'll a dramatic reduction in the market of tea towels and snow globes. Who cares? Even one penny of public money spent on the monarchy is an affront to human dignity.

If Harry had anything about him, he'd renounce his titles, apologize for participating in such a disgusting pantomime, give all his money to the state and go and get a job.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's not an erroneous concern. It's a facile argument to suggest that without a monarchy there'll a dramatic reduction in the market of tea towels and snow globes. Who cares? Even one penny of public money spent on the monarchy is an affront to human dignity.

If Harry had anything about him, he'd renounce his titles, apologize for participating in such a disgusting pantomime, give all his money to the state and go and get a job.
So...that's a 'no' to the monarchy then?
Old Nov 28th 2017, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
So...that's a 'no' to the monarchy then?
I'm on the fence a bit but probably leaning that way.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 11:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What about gongs, do they have to be given back?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 12:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Were they not already there I would not invent the monarchy. However, they are there and we can be sure that, were they abolished tomorrow, it would not generate 350 billion quid a week for the NHS. It would make bugger all financial difference to the man* in the street. If people enjoy watching the wedding then good luck to them, I'm certainly interested to see what half-ginger half-American children look like.

* man, in this context, is written to be inclusive of all gender assignments and re-assignments, perceived or surgical.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 12:10 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

And how is that?

I guess so.

I was born in the UK and not in Australia so that makes me better. It's not my fault.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 12:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

'Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

I like Harry, he's a cheeky chappy....... and does a hell of a lot of awareness raising for many issues.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:05 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed seeing them on the news. I liked how they looked at each other, how she held onto him. It's good to see some outright happiness and love.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie
'Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

I like Harry, he's a cheeky chappy....... and does a hell of a lot of awareness raising for many issues.
You mean he grandstands using his unearned privilege to bolster his status.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You mean he grandstands using his unearned privilege to bolster his status.
Not his status but that of the charities and organisations he supports. Perhaps you have him confused with Kanye West.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.