glad to be here...

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: glad to be here...

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm still in the UK and don't see the anarchy, racial tension, violence, and general lack of morals non UK residents complain of. And i live in that there London.

I personally think it's there own way of convincing themselves they made the correct decision by moving to another country to rid themselves of there inner demons.
Im glad to be in Canada, but not for any of those reasons. I think you have to be here for what Canada offers, rather than what is absent here.

I still think the UK can still be an OK place to live, I just happen to think Canada is better for me and my family, otherwise why would I stay here? Family and friends in the UK seem to get on OK, the main difference seems to be they get more snow, and they pay more for their houses.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:39 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheepnis
read a pretty downbeat article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...rt-of-comments

british asian describes the racial and physical abuse he suffered on a London bus in full view of other passengers.

bad in itself, but the comments are very interesting veering from the defensive "put up or shut up" kind to similarly grim anecdotes on the tube, and occasionally sympathy.

reading them made me think how pleasant commuting on Translink is in comparison, not to mention just how morally lost the UK has become.

worth a read if you're toying with the idea of heading back to blighty
http://www.straight.com/article-2453...-vancouver-bus

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting...iver_assa.html

http://www.theprovince.com/TransLink...808/story.html

http://www.straight.com/article-2465...ers-union-says

Translink sounds very dangerous to me. I'll stick with the Jubilee line for a while followed by the luxury of my car with doors locked and baseball bat at the ready
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Is the author lying?

Does that fact that someone doesn't experience incidents like this mean that they don't happen?

If they do happen are they acceptable?

If not, why isn't there a poster saying they are not acceptable?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Is the author lying?

Does that fact that someone doesn't experience incidents like this mean that they don't happen?

If they do happen are they acceptable?

If not, why isn't there a poster saying they are not acceptable?
They're not acceptable
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

el_richo,

thanks for those links, very informative. but i don't feel that those contradict my opinion, more the opposite.

contrast that to the article and its responses to any of those stories you posted and the difference is that there is more passivity in dealing with (and the reporting of) those kind of problems over there compared to here in Van.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:09 pm
Beep

el_richo,

thanks for those links, very informative. but i don't feel that those contradict my opinion, more the opposite.

contrast that to the article and its responses to any of those stories you posted and the difference is that there is more passivity in dealing with (and the reporting of) those kind of problems over there compared to here in Van.
They aren't there to contradict. Mainly to point out that incidences of violence, racism, vandalism, etc etc occur EVERYWHERE and perception is the key.

I personally feel much safer on the London Underground than on the Vancouver Skytrain, for example. Even so, i wouldn't opine Vancouver is becoming morally lost due to unpleasant and dangerous isolated incidents cos that would be silly.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

i am surprised you'd feel safer on the tube and would be interested to know why.

there are no silent alarms within easy reach and a comparative absence of staff on tube platforms. sure there are about 4 cameras on each one in every tube station and the and a couple of little panic stations at either end, but its an excuse for more surveillance rather than a genuine protection and is no substitute for people on the ground. a day doesnt go by without seeing some skytrain staff at train level.

and when do londoners thank their bus driver as we often do here?

drivers on my then local bus route back in london had these

happy commuting
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:12 pm
Beep

i am surprised you'd feel safer on the tube and would be interested to know why.
Because i do. That's my perception. I've never had, nor witnessed, any issues on London transport either and no doubt i'm not dissimilar to millions of regular users of it.

and when do londoners thank their bus driver as we often do here?
They don't. After travelling on a few buses around Vancouver i have to say i also didn't notice people thanking the driver either (although i did cos i'm easily pleased).

When have London bus users witnessed a beheading?

There's no point in arguing about this. Perceptions differ greatly BUT isolated incidents do not mean a country is falling foul of morality nor degenerating into a melting pot of violence and racism, as you imply.

Last edited by el_richo; Feb 23rd 2010 at 6:17 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:22 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The UK's an absolute disgrace, devoid of any moral fiber and ethically bankrupt. It’s a rude, angry place where the people are only interested in celebrity culture and getting pissed every night, fighting, beating up immigrants and old people. Crime is rampant, the education system is a joke, the trains are always late, the food is terrible and there are too many people. The cops are getting out of control, the media is awash with lies, homelessness is everywhere, there's nothing in the UK that's even worth saving, its all so sad, because once were a proud nation, a nation with an empire, where people knew what law and order was, respected their betters and did an honest days work for an honest pound. We were a nation of Shakespeare, Elgar and Wordsworth, now all we have is bloody Damien bloody Hirst sticking plastic fannies in pots of glue. Give me ****ing break, not on my watch buddy.
I'm detecting a certain trend in your posts recently
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:26 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

i am surprised you'd feel safer on the tube and would be interested to know why
I've never witnessed any trouble what so ever on the tube. Quick, fast and easy to use. I will vouch for it as being one of the safest and most efficient ways to travel in the world.

I was on the TTC last Saturday and there were Gothics on there drinking metholated spirits....much more intimidating than anything I'd ever seen on on the Tube. And let's not mention having to wait an average of 6 minutes every time I need to get somewhere..........

I want someone to explain to me why because you move countries you have to be seen to bash your old country at every opportunity ?

There seems to be little evidence that Canada is any less racist than the UK- so if that's a reason to immigrate then it's a very poor one.

In the article the man was to scared to speak up for himself so surely he can understand why other people may have ben scared.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 23rd 2010 at 6:51 pm. Reason: spelling and ammendment
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on the tube. I've been on the subway in Toronto. Also on the subway in NYC and in St. Louis and Las Vegas and Koala Lumpa and the L in Chicago and the metro in Paris and in Montreal and the BART and the trams in New Orleans and some transity things in Seattle and Calgary and Adelaide and, I suppose, more trains and buses and trams in other places I don't immediately recall.

In some of these systems I felt robbed after paying the fare. Otherwise not. hth.