Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Given the choice, What extraordinary way would you die?

Given the choice, What extraordinary way would you die?

Old May 24th 2009, 7:13 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Given the choice, What extraordinary way would you die?

Talking to a friend, who is looking after his elderly parents,

He said "that life is a good play with a very poor 3rd act! Getting old is miserable, undignified and generally grim!"

My reply was "I thinks Clarkson's got the right idea, go out in some spectacular and/or weird way, that gives your relatives a great conversation point".

so for me.......

SKI JUMPING EXTREME http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p1QrlRqqHg
Old May 24th 2009, 8:16 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Given the choice, What extraordinary way would you die?

mmm I don't know if I would want to die in an extrordinary way - that sounds too painful.

I'll slip away after a few bevvies having some horizontal action i think
Old May 24th 2009, 10:55 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

die making love to a beautiful woman would be OK.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be extraordinary to die painlessly, without a long illness, or sudden trauma. To die at peace with one's family and friends, no words left unsaid, no half arsed arguments left hanging in the air. No one would argue over the funeral arrangements, everyone would have a good time at the funeral tea and think lovely thoughts of me. Noone would be left behind riddled with guilt and anguish. MOH, if he lived after me would be comforted by the memories and supported by friends.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:40 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It would be extraordinary to die painlessly, without a long illness, or sudden trauma. To die at peace with one's family and friends, no words left unsaid, no half arsed arguments left hanging in the air. No one would argue over the funeral arrangements, everyone would have a good time at the funeral tea and think lovely thoughts of me. Noone would be left behind riddled with guilt and anguish. MOH, if he lived after me would be comforted by the memories and supported by friends.
Nice one! I'd go for that way. I'd like to be having a cuddle with my hubby when I go - that would mean he hasn't left me(died 1st) alone in my old age.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:55 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

My father's mum did it right.

She was in her mid-80's and had in the past had a small stroke that mainly affected her word-finding, but from which she totally recovered. After that my parents brought her to our home town where she bought a little house and within a short time was totally engaged in a new social circle ... so much so that we had to make an appointment if we wanted to see her!

One morning, some few years after moving into that new home which she took such pride in, we had a call from her neighbour to say he'd looked out of his window and spotted her lying on the lawn.

She had just mown the lawn and finished clipping the edges when she dropped dead from what turned out to have been a massive stroke. There was an inquest as it was a sudden death of course, and the coroner said that there had been no sign of movement after she'd fallen, and death would have been pretty much instant. She lived life right to that last moment and died doing something she loved.

Cheers Granny!
Old May 25th 2009, 1:58 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

My gran recently passed away and also did it right. She has been in a home for the past 7 years with vascular dementia and was highly thought of by all the carers as she was such a lady with a kind word or funny story for everybody whenever she could. She would only have a day in her bed if she was feeling ill after the age of 95, and up until the two weeks before she died, the longest she ever had in her bed was a couple of days.

She had porridge every morning, and a whisky and warm milk every night before bed along with numerous cups of tea and bits of cake through the day along with her main meals. In her 7 years in a home she was visited virtually every day by family. She celebrated her 100th birthday back in December, with her children, grand children and great grandchildren by her side along with all the in laws.

She passed away two weeks ago tomorrow, and the cause of death on her certificate? Old age. We should all be that lucky.
Old May 25th 2009, 2:35 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Talking to a friend, who is looking after his elderly parents,

He said "that life is a good play with a very poor 3rd act! Getting old is miserable, undignified and generally grim!"

My reply was "I thinks Clarkson's got the right idea, go out in some spectacular and/or weird way, that gives your relatives a great conversation point".

so for me.......

SKI JUMPING EXTREME http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p1QrlRqqHg
Nice.

A total burnup on re-entry would be pretty decent. No need for a box.
Old May 25th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone remember the Monty Python film where the subject is chased over a cliff by a group of topless female cyclists???

Now that would be good, except for the going over the cliff part. Instead, I think a heart attack brought on by extreme exercise with said female cyclists might not be the worst way to go!
Old May 25th 2009, 3:47 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

I have had a most vivid and colourful recurring dream, over the past ten years, where I fall into a terrible industrial machine (pistons, cogs and gyrating fly-wheels, etc). I think the machine kills me. My ex-Zinka claimed it is my death wish and death fantasy. I think it was influenced by Charlie Chaplin's film, Modern Times. Given the choice - I could imagine this dream-death meeting my fearful expectations of being "extraordinary."
Old May 25th 2009, 5:21 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine
I have had a most vivid and colourful recurring dream, over the past ten years, where I fall into a terrible industrial machine (pistons, cogs and gyrating fly-wheels, etc). I think the machine kills me. My ex-Zinka claimed it is my death wish and death fantasy. I think it was influenced by Charlie Chaplin's film, Modern Times. Given the choice - I could imagine this dream-death meeting my fearful expectations of being "extraordinary."

I would say that there is a good possibility of this!
Old May 25th 2009, 2:04 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

climbing out of the seat of my paraglider at cloudbase

one last freefall .................................
Old May 25th 2009, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

die laughing I say
Old May 25th 2009, 2:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I have to say that this strikes a chord with me too. My F-i-L recently dropped dead of a heart attack on his lunchtime run. We are told he died quickly and without much pain and he was with a good friend at the time so didn't die alone. However the shock factor to those that are left behind is immense and complicated by some family issues that never got fully resolved. So a quick and painless death yes, but also one where those that are left behind have time to come to closure and prepare for the inevitable.
Old May 25th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a choice between Logan's Run which I see there's a new one coming out.

Or Solyent Green

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.