British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Gifts from abroad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/gifts-abroad-736807/)

ireland2canada Oct 25th 2011 2:16 pm

Gifts from abroad

I need help with regards to gift ideas. I have a father whose birthday is in November, inconsiderately close to Xmas. I desperately need to think of something that can be bought online, avoiding the need to post it from Canada.

He has no hobbies or interests.

He has clothes.

Previously, the family clubbed together and got him a lap top. He now has all possible computer accessories.

Then we got him a camera. I have exhausted all camera accessory options.

He used to read, but now uses the internet for that.

Last year I got him a movie subscription thing. Now he downloads.

He has been bought a bottle of whiskey as a fall back gift idea, over and over again.

I bought him a crate of various craft beers once, but it's too soon to repeat that idea.

All ideas welcome. What do you all send to your family? Or, if you are a 60 something man, what would you like? (Leaving aside comedy answers like a speed boat or a hooker).

iaink Oct 25th 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Gifts from abroad

Ebook reader?

Tangram Oct 25th 2011 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9694560)
Ebook reader?

I was just about to say, get him some ebooks or ibooks ( whichever device he has ) and you can gift them straight to him.

Atlantic Xpat Oct 25th 2011 2:43 pm

I'm a 40something year old man and I wouldn't say no to a speedboat.....

I'd second suggestions for an ebook reader.

Failing that some kind of food/wine hamper?

JamesM Oct 25th 2011 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 9694557)
I need help with regards to gift ideas. I have a father whose birthday is in November, inconsiderately close to Xmas. I desperately need to think of something that can be bought online, avoiding the need to post it from Canada.

He has no hobbies or interests.

He has clothes.

Previously, the family clubbed together and got him a lap top. He now has all possible computer accessories.

Then we got him a camera. I have exhausted all camera accessory options.

He used to read, but now uses the internet for that.

Last year I got him a movie subscription thing. Now he downloads.

He has been bought a bottle of whiskey as a fall back gift idea, over and over again.

I bought him a crate of various craft beers once, but it's too soon to repeat that idea.

All ideas welcome. What do you all send to your family? Or, if you are a 60 something man, what would you like? (Leaving aside comedy answers like a speed boat or a hooker).

Booze remains the best gift as it always get's used.

I remember my father once buying me a massage seat for my car one year. The following year on the way to Christmas dinner I noticed it still unopened in the box in the back of my car 365 days later.

Booze!

Jerseygirl Oct 25th 2011 2:51 pm

I hate buying useless gifts just for the sake of giving a person something...so I usually send money. I find guys very hard to buy for...the older they are the worse it is IMO.

What about a M&S gift basket? Or something else from M&S online that he can exchange at the store.

Alan2005 Oct 25th 2011 3:30 pm

Socks.

I'm not joking - I love getting socks as presents.

Clematis Oct 25th 2011 3:36 pm

How about cinema or theatre tickets? Brewery tour?

Atlantic Xpat Oct 25th 2011 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9694764)
Socks.

I'm not joking - I love getting socks as presents.

No wonder you need a pet wolf to seem hard.

TheThornes Oct 25th 2011 3:52 pm

Does he have a garden he enjoys? You can get National Garden Centre Vouchers for him to choose something himself. Alternatively, even M&S will deliver ornate shrubs as gifts and planted patio planters etc. I'm sure other sites do similar things too.

Clematis Oct 25th 2011 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9694782)
No wonder you need a pet wolf to seem hard.

:rofl:

ireland2canada Oct 25th 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks to all. Keep the ideas coming unless, like me, you have realised this to be a thankless and almost impossible task.

The kindle thing is a great idea and may just do the trick.

I did chuckle at the thought of him gardening, and at the idea of him not being evicted early from the brewery tour. Socks may be safer.

feriam62 Oct 25th 2011 5:42 pm

What about a year's membership for say, the National Trust which can be used in all of the UK and Eire and overseas also as many countries have reciprocal agreements.

ireland2canada Oct 25th 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by feriam62 (Post 9695040)
What about a year's membership for say, the National Trust which can be used in all of the UK and Eire and overseas also as many countries have reciprocal agreements.

That's a nice idea and a great gift.

He won't go though, it'll be raining.

feriam62 Oct 25th 2011 6:16 pm

Pity you got him that computer..it is far too useful!!!!
One time when I was away from home on his birthday, instead of getting my impossibly hard to buy for husband a hamper from the usual suspects, I logged onto Tesco's site and got him all his favourite food delivered. This is better than a hamper as you can choose food that they really like - I got him steak, mushrooms, onions, his favourite bread, red wine, etc etc. He really liked that!!