Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Getting Pulled Over By The Police

Getting Pulled Over By The Police

Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Pulled Over By The Police

Quick thinking but probably not a good idea.........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-ticket.html
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lwilli63
1. If he let us off with a "warning" which turns out to be a fine for $173. What is the alternative eg. being arrested?
2. I'm used to a "warning" being a bollocking from the police and nothing more. A warning over here appears to include a hefty fine
3. How efficient is the administrative side of the police force? Everything was done manually is the fine likely to be pursued? This is a bit of a rhetorical question as I suppose it depends on many things.
4. How long does one have to pay the fine?

Answers to 1 & 2 & 3 above would be greatly appreciated.
1. In Ontario the MINIMUM fine for incorrectly passing a stopped car with its lights on is $400, plus 3 demerit points. Do it again within 5 years and you can do 6 month inside for it! Plus a $4000 fine. $175 and no points is a let off.

2. He probably just did you speeding or something instead, what does the ticket actually say?

3. In ontario it can show up when you renew your license, depends on the jurusdiction. Apparantly there are billions (with a b) in outstanding fines that have never been paid, so it doesnt work all that well.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
1. In Ontario the MINIMUM fine for incorrectly passing a stopped car with its lights on is $400, plus 3 demerit points. Do it again within 5 years and you can do 6 month inside for it! Plus a $4000 fine. $175 and no points is a let off.

2. He probably just did you speeding or something instead, what does the ticket actually say?

3. In ontario it can show up when you renew your license, depends on the jurusdiction. Apparantly there are billions (with a b) in outstanding fines that have never been paid, so it doesnt work all that well.
Jesus, I've seen people get less than that for doing serious harm to people !!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Having myself been run over and left for dead on the highway I think the fines are justified, and remembering that most of the expats had to re do their driving test why did you not know this...
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Having myself been run over and left for dead on the highway I think the fines are justified, and remembering that most of the expats had to re do their driving test why did you not know this...
Its relatively new in Ontario. I happened to have my plate renewal form in front of me and it was in the insert...there is no mention of 70kmh, just "slow down".

It can be a confusing law anyway, if you have to cut up another driver to pull over its not actually any safer for anyone. Whose going to make that call?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Its relatively new. I happened to have my plate renewal form in front of me and it was in the insert...

It can be a confusing law anyway, if you have to cut up another driver to pull over its not actually any safer for anyone. Whose going to make that call?
Yeah, I get confused by that, police on the crest of a hill, solid line in the median, so hmm. I drive by slowly looking concerned. Seems to have worked so far
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

down in the US I think the fines are even steeper
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lwilli63
I have a few questions:

1. If he let us off with a "warning" which turns out to be a fine for $173. What is the alternative eg. being arrested?
2. I'm used to a "warning" being a bollocking from the police and nothing more. A warning over here appears to include a hefty fine
3. How efficient is the administrative side of the police force? Everything was done manually is the fine likely to be pursued? This is a bit of a rhetorical question as I suppose it depends on many things.
4. How long does one have to pay the fine?

Answers to 1 & 2 & 3 above would be greatly appreciated.
"A new regulation takes effect June 1 2009 to enhance the safety of emergency workers by requiring drivers to slow down and move over when passing parked emergency vehicles that have their lights flashing.

The new Motor Vehicle Act regulation applies to drivers passing police, fire, ambulance and towing vehicles, as well as vehicles used by commercial vehicle safety and enforcement personnel, passenger transportation inspectors, conservation officers, park rangers, and special provincial constables employed in the Ministry of Forests and Range.

Drivers must now slow to 70 km/h on highways where the speed limit is 80 km/h or higher, and to 40 km/h where the limit is below 80 km/h, when approaching a stopped emergency vehicle that has lights flashing. If there is another lane going in the same direction, drivers must also move into that lane if it is safe to do so.

The penalty for not slowing to the designated speed, not moving over, or both, is a fine and three penalty points on the driver’s licence. The fine, including a 15 per cent victim surcharge, is $148 if paid within 30 days or $173 thereafter. An existing penalty remains in place for failing to yield to a moving emergency vehicle.

Between 2001 and 2007, 21 emergency workers were injured or killed on B.C. roads – 12 of them at the roadside."

Looks like you were let off the points but not the fine.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 11:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks

Between 2001 and 2007, 21 emergency workers were injured or killed on B.C. roads – 12 of them at the roadside."[/I]

It's not like me to question authority, oh no! But of those 12 emergency workers killed or injured at the roadside in those six years in BC, I can't help wondering how many weren't paying attention to the traffic.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:00 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's not like me to question authority, oh no! But of those 12 emergency workers killed or injured at the roadside in those six years in BC, I can't help wondering how many weren't paying attention to the traffic.
Probably fairly hard to do when you're making sure you don't get a gun pulled in your face.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

fraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nicefraser46 is just really nice

Only time I have seen the cops 'in action' over here, they are hiding behind unmarked vehicles with speed guns, or writing tickets for motorists. One day those motorists may be sitting on a jury.......................do they have juries over here? Everyone seems so afraid of the old bill.........................................
Old Apr 29th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fraser46
Only time I have seen the cops 'in action' over here, they are hiding behind unmarked vehicles with speed guns, or writing tickets for motorists. One day those motorists may be sitting on a jury.......................do they have juries over here? Everyone seems so afraid of the old bill.........................................
The cops here do seem to be a law unto themselves at times
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:10 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

The cops here do seem to be a law unto themselves at times
ive nuttin gainst da rozzers, but when U see impropor behaviours like dis it make U really wonder bout da arms ov de law.....