British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   A Get Well Soon Siouxie thread! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/get-well-soon-siouxie-thread-911198/)

Jimbo2012 Apr 15th 2018 12:15 am

Re: A Get Well Soon Siouxie thread!

Very best wishes for a speedy recovery, Siouxie x

spouse of scouse Apr 15th 2018 12:31 am

Bloody hell Siouxie, you don't do things by half :ohmy: How amazing and wonderful that you escaped severe disability with the extent of that damage. I love your go get 'em attitude and determination to live a healthy life. Giving up the ciggies especially is a very hard thing to do. Well done you!

You're dealing with a lot, changing your diet, giving up smoking, the present worry about your health and the what must be terrifying emotional after effects of such a severe stroke. While you are and will continue to be the amazingly strong and positive person you've always been, please be very gentle with yourself as well. You're in my thoughts xx

ScotinCanada Apr 21st 2018 4:59 pm

Just saw this and so sorry to hear what’s happened to you Siouxie. Sounds like you’re a fighter though! I hope your recovery continues well. Wishing you all the best x

Siouxie Apr 21st 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks so much everyone :)

I'm still fighting my corner, taking the meds, keeping to the strict diet (high protein, low carbs - only brown or wild rice, wholegrain bread, in very limited quantities, low calorie, no fat (a tiny amount of extra virgin olive oil is allowed, and no sodium). It's not too bad but I do miss chocolate, cream, cheese, potatos, pasta.. eating lots of salads and vegetables (and protein at every meal, required) - but I can live with it!. One side effect of the diet (which are very very small portions, 3 times a day) is that I have lost 6lb in the last week!

Other than that, nothing much has changed. I'm still at high risk or another stroke or a heart attack and still have blocked arteries and blood clots floating around.. so it's a waiting game, to a degree.. wait and see if the soft plaque stabilises; wait and see if they will risk surgery on my clavicle arteries or caratoids - at present, there's a 35% risk of heart attack, stroke or brain bleed during surgery - and a 4% risk of mortality during - and for up to 7 months after.. so they don't want to go ahead if it can be avoided. I've more tests and more appointments to attend with vascular surgeons, neurology docs and the like.. but I'm playing the long game!

Feeling good in myself, albeit with the odd day of being down in the dumps or stressed, but when I think where I could have been, I'm totally blessed.

Onwards and upwards!!

:)

magnumpi Apr 22nd 2018 12:58 am

I felt the same when my angina symptoms were worsening day by day. I found it hard to walk anywhere without chest pains, at the same time a friend at our office won the lottery and got 5 million as part of a share. All I could think was I give all that money back just to feel ok again !!!

I did eventually pull thru as you know and realise now how much we all take good health for granted.

Keep with the diet, I know how you feel as I have been eating like that for almost 2 years and will stick to it, we know what will happen if side tracked

Stay Stong Siouxie

spouse of scouse Apr 22nd 2018 10:57 am

Thanks for the update Siouxie! Sounds like you're not out of the woods yet, but the clearing's up ahead. Gawd, that was a shocking metaphor, I've never been good with metaphors :lol:

You're very wise to recognise and accept the down days for exactly what they, I'd be very surprised if you didn't get the occasional one of them after your experiences and I'm so happy to hear that the good days outweigh the bad.

Keeping on keeping on mate! :starsmile:

Shirtback Apr 22nd 2018 4:36 pm

I missed this entirely (took a break from following BE & most internet stuff).

My thoughts are with you, Siouxie.

ann m Apr 22nd 2018 6:11 pm

I missed this entirely too.:huh:

So sorry to hear about your 'adventures' and I hope things continue to improve. My very best wishes you Siouxsie.

Princesstigger Apr 23rd 2018 12:52 am

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Siouxie Apr 23rd 2018 3:55 pm

Thank you for the good wishes and kind, caring thoughts! I really do appreciate each and every one of them. It's wonderful to know that so many virtual friends and aquaintances have me in their thoughts..

:wub:

It's not really a case of recovering or 'getting better' - I was fortunate enough not to suffer any disability and am sound of mind and body .. so it's a case of waiting to see if I stroke out again or have a heart attack.. or if the soft plaque invading my body stabilises enough to reduce the risks of that happening... and if the blockages and clots stabilise or reduce - and whether I will need surgery down the line or if medication can do enough to preclude that, as it's incredibly risky.

Hate waiting games, lol.

But hey! Today the sun is shining, the sky is blue and I found a crocus in flower in the garden! .. my blood pressure was low this morning, so I got to have a cup of (decaf) weak coffee! Woooohoo!!!

:thumbsup:

Siouxie Apr 25th 2018 7:31 pm

One of the strange side effects of the brain damage I sufferred appears to be that I am easily agitated and can get stroppy or overly defensive at times - something I have never suffered from before. Apparently, this is not unusual. Eeeek!

It got weird!

:p

caretaker Apr 25th 2018 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12489139)
One of the strange side effects of the brain damage I sufferred appears to be that I am easily agitated and can get stroppy or overly defensive at times - something I have never suffered from before. Apparently, this is not unusual. Eeeek!
It got weird!

It's normal. After my dad had his first stroke I visited and was warned not to set him off by saying Swiner instead of Shriner... :lol: He and mum were discussing the garden and he said they got 80 lbs of tomatoes, and she said it was 75 lbs. He snapped "You going to make a liar out of me over 5 lbs of tomatoes?"

bats Apr 26th 2018 12:10 am

It got weird!

You wanna make a thing about that? ;):wub::wub:

BEVS Apr 26th 2018 12:36 am

It got weird!

Not unusual. After my RTA decades ago, which gave a severe crunch to the head, I had the same for quite a while. Poor ole brain firing off all sorts of alert messages without my permission.

Hope you got to drink another decaf coffee.

Paul_Shepherd Apr 26th 2018 2:50 pm

It got weird!

Well....when you have such a dark cloud hanging over you and playing a waiting game, its hardly any wonder.... I am sure you don't stay like it for long...its just not in your nature. Im sure those nearest and dearest to you understand, and for the ones that don't well...I am sure they will get over it! Keep on doing what your doing, its all you can do at this moment in time...