Germanwings Flight

Old Apr 2nd 2015, 4:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Germanwings Flight

The latest

Germanwings co-pilot 'researched suicide methods in days before crash'

Old Apr 3rd 2015, 12:37 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Initial info from second flight recorder indicates he also increase speed of the aircraft.

This will sound nasty, but why couldn't he have just sat at home and slit his wrists, or taken a bottle of pills, or some other method to kill himself, rather than murdering the others on the plane? That's the bit I don't understand, but then perhaps the point, I'm not depressed so cannot fathom what someone in that state of mind would consider a possibly sensible, or only course of action.

The other upsetting fact is this will possibly push others who are depressed into not revealing this or seeking help, for fear of being prejudiced against (or even more than they likely possibly are anyway).
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 2:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus View Post
This will sound nasty, but why couldn't he have just sat at home and slit his wrists, or taken a bottle of pills, or some other method...
It's weird...the idea of researching suicide methods (as reported)...I don't recall crashing a commercial airliner featuring in the usual lists.

Plus researching about the cockpit doors? I mean, wouldn't he already have known all there was to know about that?

It's more puzzling with each bit of information.

I'm waiting for the conspiracy theorists to pop up...government black ops agency needs to 'eliminate' someone on the plane and so as not to arouse suspicion, and to divert blame, makes co-pilot the scapegoat after accessing his computer records to fake search subjects etc.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 2:58 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

The cockpit door thing, perhaps he knew that if locked then after X minutes it would revert to unlocked, but he could not remember what the X was, 5, 10, 15 minutes? It's not something you would just off hand ask the person you are flying with; "Yeah, so if I lock that door, then when does it auto-unlock?" that would likely raise suspicion.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 3:06 pm
Oscar nominated

The cockpit door thing, perhaps he knew that if locked then after X minutes it would revert to unlocked, but he could not remember what the X was, 5, 10, 15 minutes? It's not something you would just off hand ask the person you are flying with; "Yeah, so if I lock that door, then when does it auto-unlock?" that would likely raise suspicion.
True enough...but surely he'd have a manual for something like that.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 5:32 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Initial info from second flight recorder indicates he also increase speed of the aircraft.

This will sound nasty, but why couldn't he have just sat at home and slit his wrists, or taken a bottle of pills, or some other method to kill himself, rather than murdering the others on the plane? That's the bit I don't understand, but then perhaps the point, I'm not depressed so cannot fathom what someone in that state of mind would consider a possibly sensible, or only course of action.

The other upsetting fact is this will possibly push others who are depressed into not revealing this or seeking help, for fear of being prejudiced against (or even more than they likely possibly are anyway).
I don't think you can pin his actions on depression. He would have other psychological issues (mixing with his depression) which drive him to wreak mass death. I don't think it will influence other depressives in their choice of seeking help or not.

However, the psychological "cause" does intrigue me. In cases like Columbine or Islamists, there is a perceived enemy. What is troubling is this apparent notion of making victims of innocents for some kind of depraved noteriety.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 1:18 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
I don't think you can pin his actions on depression. He would have other psychological issues (mixing with his depression) which drive him to wreak mass death. I don't think it will influence other depressives in their choice of seeking help or not.

However, the psychological "cause" does intrigue me. In cases like Columbine or Islamists, there is a perceived enemy. What is troubling is this apparent notion of making victims of innocents for some kind of depraved noteriety.
You're right...there is a sociopathic element to it... I feel like suicide/depression you would want to hide away quietly and die and not become infamous for manslaughter/murder?
Old Apr 4th 2015, 7:20 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

He had researched it so would have known.

Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz searched online for suicide and cockpit doors - Telegraph

Old Apr 4th 2015, 8:52 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The surprising thing is that his breathing is said to have remained normal throughout the 8 minute descent.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 4:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

All the CDSS and CDLS operation are in the aircraft systems manual. The lock time delay is selectable from 5 - 20 mins and has to be reset once it auto unlocks. This is readily available to all flight crew. What would be perhaps of more interest is how to disable the CDLS and the CDLS backup system, it is electrically operated, disabling the locking system would prevent the auto unlock.

There is the cockpit door video surveillance with 3 cameras, the pilots can see who is asking to come in or loitering from all angles!

I don't see any pilot forgetting how to operate this, or having to look it up on the internet. If they cannot operate the CDSS, they should not be operating an aircraft. There is more to it than the media is reporting or being told.
Old May 6th 2015, 1:04 pm
Oscar nominated

Co-pilot practised descent move on previous flight

Five times.

The Germanwings co-pilot suspected of deliberately crashing a jet in the Alps in March practised entering the fatal descent settings on the outbound flight and ignored repeated attempts to contact him from both ground and air, investigators said on Wednesday.
I wonder how that was explained.
Old May 6th 2015, 1:30 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Co-pilot practised descent move on previous flight

Five times.

I wonder how that was explained.
German professionalism to the last.
Old May 6th 2015, 1:41 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Practise makes perfection