Gender equality

Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gender equality

Originally Posted by Souvy
(Zoe said she was asked to leave the Girl Guides.)
So did I.
Or was it leave alone? Can't remember. I'd have to check the court order.
Souvy. This is the sort of comment that keeps me glued to this thread! Thanks for the chuckle.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
...the words horse dead and flogging spring to mind! lol
Male or female horse?
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Male or female horse?
Nice try Bristol!! im not walking into that minefield!!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think private organizations should be allowed to have membership policies at odds with the law as it would apply to, for example, a pub. It is, for example, ridiculous to exclude women from games, such as golf and darts, that are not played using the penis.

I understand the desire to have women only swimming pools in order to accommodate superstitions about men and suggest that some arrangement of scheduled single-sex use would serve as well as a total gender based ban.

I can't see any case for allowing race based club membership restrictions though I personally would not rush to join, for example, the Ukrainian Club.
I guess it is out of fashion to believe in freedom of private organizations to set their own membership policies, and that less government better than more government. Yes I think there are too many laws, and the tendency of those to the left, and to the right to impose their views on others I think very disturbing.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:20 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I guess it is out of fashion to believe in freedom of private organizations to set their own membership policies, and that less government better than more government. Yes I think there are too many laws, and the tendency of those to the left, and to the right to impose their views on others I think very disturbing.
Thanks for imposing your isolationist view. Not disturbed at all by all it.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Look at what you've written, carefully. "Every one entitled to their own opinion which organization they wish to join," you say. Exactly, I reply. How dare the Boy Scouts of America overrule that individual's opinion if they decide they want to join the organization? What kind of message is that sending to children? Not all of your friends are created equal... some are better than others and only the best sort can come and join us here?

I'm glad you agree with me on that - even if, as I suspect, you didn't mean to.

As for the courts' right to interfere in restrictive membership policies: that is exactly what the courts are there for; that is precisely their role if a club has membership restrictions that contravene laws.
Yes let's look at the words carefully. I wrote simply that every is entitled to their own opinion whether they wish to joining an organization. Your comment about the Boy Scouts "overuling" someone's opinion about whether they want to join the organization doesn't make any sense whatsoever, with all due respect. By that logic every organization would need to change their rules of membership according to whatever a particular person thinks. That is so absurd I am sure that isn't what you meant.

If a parent doesn't like the Boy Scouts, then just don't join and stop wasting society's time and money on such things trying to force the views of one group on another- I would much rather see time and resources devoted to more serious matters.

Just anecdotal observation locally- yes the local Boy Scout's troop run by people generally of faith, meet in a church, say the pledge of allegiance, and haven't yet had to address all these membership issues. A general observation is that the boys attending , compared to those who don't and whose families have less traditional values, have less problems with drugs and behavior and certainly treat girls better.

As far as the courts yes they are their to interpet the law ( not make social policy), so maybe the law is wrong.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
Thanks for imposing your isolationist view. Not disturbed at all by all it.
Quite the opposite to "imposing". I am not saying that not admitting girls to Boy Scouts is necessarily a good or bad thing ( though my experience with Boy Scouts generally has been favorable), but they should right to determine their own policies in my opinion. If someone doesn't like it, form their own group.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:43 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Quite the opposite to "imposing". I am not saying that not admitting girls to Boy Scouts is necessarily a good or bad thing ( though my experience with Boy Scouts generally has been favorable), but they should right to determine their own policies in my opinion. If someone doesn't like it, form their own group.
Yes, agree clubs have a right to determine their own policies. But I don't have a problem with government, actually, I rather like it. Common good and all that.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 11:03 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... If someone doesn't like it, form their own group.
So there's one organisation that allows girls and boys; another that insists on a minimum age of 11; another 12, another 13 etc

Maybe another that doesn't allow black kids; another that doesn't allow Jews; another blue eyed blonds only; One for left handed kids another for those who swing both ways; A non-smokers group while another is free to smoke and a third for passive smokers; One organisation for 'bright kids' and another for the rest; one group wants the kids of lone parents only while another insists on two parents and throws the kid out if their parents separate and heaven help kids born out of wedlock; another group for kids born the right side of the tracks and another for the kids of blue collar parents.

They want to make their own rules and discriminate according to how they see fit, that sort of thing?
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So there's one organisation that allows girls and boys; another that insists on a minimum age of 11; another 12, another 13 etc

Maybe another that doesn't allow black kids; another that doesn't allow Jews; another blue eyed blonds only; One for left handed kids another for those who swing both ways; A non-smokers group while another is free to smoke and a third for passive smokers; One organisation for 'bright kids' and another for the rest; one group wants the kids of lone parents only while another insists on two parents and throws the kid out if their parents separate and heaven help kids born out of wedlock; another group for kids born the right side of the tracks and another for the kids of blue collar parents.

They want to make their own rules and discriminate according to how they see fit, that sort of thing?
If an African-American youth group set up specifically to help young African men, why shouldn't they be allowed to have policies that exclude girls or non African Americans ? If an organization set up specifically to improve math skills in young women and provide encouragement and scholarships, it should be force to admit boys ? If the Daughters of the American revolution have policies about who can be a member, and someone objects that descendants of those of the War of 1812 should be members, should they be ?

The idea that people shouldn't be allowed in a private organization to set their own rules of membership is one that indicates a totalitarian mindset that simply in my opinion shouldn't be encouraged. Sure some organizations we may not like their rules, but isn't that part of believing in a free society ?
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 11:45 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
OH HELL YES!!
Careful. She may have one of these.

Home-brew your coffee and your booze: Keurig at work on single-serve alcohol machine - Business - CBC News
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 11:52 am
Oscar nominated

The idea that people shouldn't be allowed in a private organization to set their own rules of membership is one that indicates a totalitarian mindset...
It's already been said that the rules still have to conform to laws.

Really, what is the point in having a freedom to exclude whoever the hell you like and have a thousand groups all excluding some sort of characteristic about someone else but each of them only has 6 members? They'd never get a clubhouse built.

Is a practicing paedophiles only group okay?
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's already been said that the rules still have to conform to laws.

Really, what is the point in having a freedom to exclude whoever the hell you like and have a thousand groups all excluding some sort of characteristic about someone else but each of them only has 6 members? They'd never get a clubhouse built.

if the law says the boy scouts cant be exclusively boys then the law is wrong. It is absolutely amazing to me how many people feel so comfortable handling over so much control to the government.

Just out of curiosity, which is the law that states a private charitable organization cannot set rules on who or who isn't a member ? Christian Universities require affirmations of faith. If I recall for sports facilities in colleges they can be gender specific but need to be "equal" but isnt that just to get federal funds ? Many patriotic groups such as DAR and Society of Holland Dames have specific rules for admission. So maybe I have missed something, but what is the law that dictates private membership rules ? Or is it IF they wish to be considered a charity for tax purposes that the wonderful federal government in its infinite wisdom decides who does what ?

Last edited by morpeth; Feb 2nd 2017 at 12:02 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:07 pm
Oscar nominated

if the law says the boy scouts cant be exclusively boys then the law is wrong..
I'll ask again.

You're saying they should be free to molest and have sex with 3 year olds if that's what the members want.

See, if you don't allow them to have that rule then you must have a totalitarian mindset.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I want one. I have room on my desk for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.