Gender equality

Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gender equality

Originally Posted by morpeth
Why shouldn't a private club choose whom it wishes to be a member ?
to the tune of this thread 'gender equality'

The real reasons gentlemen don't want women to join their men-only clubs - Telegraph

if you are strictly on about 'private clubs' that require members to sponsor or propose new members, that someone must be of a certain fraternity (masons, Alpha Delta Phi, Alpha Sigma Phi ), by ethnic origin, education, his 'Lordship or Ladyship clubs', the fact that a Gentlemens club is no more than a 'strip club' or that 'men only clubs' are just what the title says 'men only', same goes for the 'women only clubs'.... thus, the endless discussion on gender nutrality

The Ladies' Golf Club of Toronto has a timeless, Augusta-like feel, but with a looser vibe and roles reversed | GOLF.com

http://www.movefitnessclub.com/

Why shouldn't blokes be allowed men-only clubs? | Express Comment | Comment | Express.co.uk

Its archaic, sexist & outdated IMO

No different to why females do not play on mens professional sports teams & vice versa, or that men & women dont participate against each other in any 'sport', MMA, Boxing... the list goes on

Restricting anything to 'male only' or 'female only' to serve each its 'own' purpose continue to be allowed?

Last edited by not2old; Jan 31st 2017 at 7:49 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:29 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
If that means i judge them on the way they behave in certain environments/scenarios then yes i do. Is that a bad thing? just the way i was brought up. I suppose my parents were pretty strict, and i certainly don't resent them for that.

Inicidentally its not just women, if a guy behaved like that in that setting id think the same. There is a time and a place for everything. Dont get me wrong, Ive certainly had my moments!! but there are limits in how a person behaves in certain environments/scenarios.
I guess we all judge but should we? Shouldn't we be more accepting of others ways? I have a very posh friend who thinks it's very middle class to worry about what people think and to judge people on that. But then he is judging them for being middle class...

Btw, why did you go to a refined place with the loud sweary drunk? I don't think I've been in anywhere like that in Peterborough. Not that I get out much.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
no I'm not
Calling you a troublemaker was just joking, n2o! You should have known that. "Troublemaker" is actually a compliment, in my world.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:36 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Calling you a troublemaker was just joking, n2o! You should have known that. "Troublemaker" is actually a compliment, in my world.
'whoosh', it went right over my head
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

to the tune of this thread 'gender equality'

The real reasons gentlemen don't want women to join their men-only clubs - Telegraph

if you are strictly on about 'private clubs' that require members to sponsor or propose new members, that someone must be of a certain fraternity (masons, Alpha Delta Phi, Alpha Sigma Phi ), by ethnic origin, education, his 'Lordship or Ladyship clubs', the fact that a Gentlemens club is no more than a 'strip club' or that 'men only clubs' are just what the title says 'men only', same goes for the 'women only clubs'.... thus, the endless discussion on gender nutrality

The Ladies' Golf Club of Toronto has a timeless, Augusta-like feel, but with a looser vibe and roles reversed | GOLF.com

MOVE fitness club | Exclusively for Women

Why shouldn't blokes be allowed men-only clubs? | Express Comment | Comment | Express.co.uk

Its archaic, sexist & outdated IMO

No different to why females do not play on mens professional sports teams & vice versa, or that men & women dont participate against each other in any 'sport', MMA, Boxing... the list goes on

Restricting anything to 'male only' or 'female only' to serve each its 'own' purpose continue to be allowed?

Maybe it's because those golf clubs are more about networking and business deals than playing golf?
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:13 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Me also as long as I don't have to pay for the drinks & that I will only accept a drink bought for me by a woman

Hey anyone see that news piece (made the Toronto TV news last night) something about the Boy scouts having to open the door to allow girls to join?

Cant you see it, 'gender neutral boy & girl scout clubs'... why not ?

I've always wondered why there has been a discrimination in 'private members clubs' some that are 'gender biased', such as a'gentlemens' or 'women only' clubs... why is that, can it or will it ever change?
I know there are several other replies to this, but I think it's worth rehearsing the same old, tired, arguments about Scouts once more.

There are significant differences between the Scouts organization in the USA and Scouts organizations practically everywhere else in the world. Some of these differences, no doubt, are due to the Boy Scouts of America having been colonised by the religious right-wing several years ago. Far from the inclusiveness and welcoming mantra that pervades Scouting in the rest of the world, the US organization has been very slow to include girls, LGBT youth, and now transgender youth. They still don't admit girls, but have been forced by a court ruling to change their policy so as to allow transgender boys to become members. And it was a very grudging decision a couple of years ago (which actually led to a breakaway of a more intolerant group of Southern Baptists) to allow gay youth to join.

Boy Scouts of America, in contrast to the Scouts organizations in most other countries including Canada, the UK and Australia, is exclusively open to boys in the youth programmes (although women may become adult volunteers). It is also not open to "agnostic or atheist" members, again unlike the organization elsewhere in the world, where the references to "God" in the Law and Promise have been much more liberally interpreted for the last 20 years or so.

I am a volunteer with Scouts Canada, and my children have been or are youth members of the organization. If I lived in the USA, I do not think I would be so keen to be associated with a movement that promulgated such out-of-date and, frankly, bigoted world-views amongst its youth membership.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jan 31st 2017 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If women want to be considered serious and deep thinkers like hipsters, they should grow beards.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Oakvillian @ post #141

On that with everything that is going on in the US, it makes you wonder whether US Presidents are groomed to make sure that there is no room at the top for a female?
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:27 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Oink
If women want to be considered serious and deep thinkers like hipsters, they should grow beards.
Do you care that your 'pork sausage' might have the odd hair in them?
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Being in my 50s I'm working on it. The boyfriend calls me Tom - as in Selleck now I've got the post menopausal 'tasch.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Being in my 50s I'm working on it. The boyfriend calls me Tom - as in Selleck now I've got the post menopausal 'tasch.
Plus, all the great explorers in history were men and they had beards. That's a pretty perfect correlation.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, all the great explorers in history were men and they had beards. That's a pretty perfect correlation.
Indeed
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:48 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Phwoar
Attached Thumbnails Gender equality-beardyweirdydorothy.jpg  
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I guess we all judge but should we? Shouldn't we be more accepting of others ways? I have a very posh friend who thinks it's very middle class to worry about what people think and to judge people on that. But then he is judging them for being middle class...

Btw, why did you go to a refined place with the loud sweary drunk? I don't think I've been in anywhere like that in Peterborough. Not that I get out much.

Ive never really thought whether i should or should not judge someones behaviour I just do, I suppose it comes down to basic manners, and respect for other people, you must agree that there have to be appropriate moral and behavioral codes in whatever environment or scenario we are in at that time? As i a child it was drummed into my sister and i in how we should behave in public, and i think they were right to do so.

As for the loud sweary drunk, these were two separate examples. One was just a pub...but when i arrived this girl was was already pretty hammered....i just though that was totally inapproriate behavior to meet someone on a first date! Even the bar tender (who I knew from being a local there) said to me ans i quote "run for the hills!"

The other date was someone who i was set up with, i met her very breifly and she seemed an intelligent nice girl, good job, well presented etc so i suggested we go to Elements its on George and King in Peterborough, id been there before and its a really nice restaurant. During dinner she was telling me a few stories and and every other word of f this f that, she didnt even try to hold it back, wasnt talking loudly but not exactly quietly, i had a few disapproving glances from an older couple and another middle aged couple, and understandably so. To be honest it was just plain embarassing, and not an enjoyable night at all.

So in summary, i dont see a problem in judging a person on their behavior, male or female, and certain behaviour as is just not acceptable.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Hmm...I really dont understand why the scouts became open to both genders anyway? why? isnt that what why the Girl Guides was introduced? I must be missing something.
Both daughters did Brownies, first one loved it, second one hated it. Time came for first one to go to Guides, did one session and said never again. Got her into Scouts and she had a ball. Second one doesn't do organised anything if she can help it. Guides is no where near as fun as Scouts, can't imagine why a boy would want to join them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.