Gender equality

Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gender equality

I was in the Boys Brigade for a short time.

Looking it up now, it all seems a bit Hitler Youth.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Middle child was in BB before we came here. He enjoyed it, and they had good leaders. Switched to Scouts in Canada, which was also good, but no drills. He is still a MedVent, which is very well run by the York region paramedics.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Both daughters did Brownies, first one loved it, second one hated it. Time came for first one to go to Guides, did one session and said never again. Got her into Scouts and she had a ball. Second one doesn't do organised anything if she can help it. Guides is no where near as fun as Scouts, can't imagine why a boy would want to join them.
I blame the Scouts for interfering with my daughter's ideas of their station in life. One sailed all over the world, met a chap in the Detroit bus station, moved to Alaska with him, stayed up there a couple of years then missed getting educated so went to law school. The other one that was in the Scouts emigrated from Toronto to London then spent a year working in Africa, one in Iraq and is now back in Africa again, she learned Italian along the way as that's the language of her employer. But for all that gender equaled nonsense of camping in February and building bridges from poles and ropes they'd be quietly married in Oakville by now, free of all that gung ho spirit and they'd know what an iron is. Being in them gender neutered Scouts, it's a wonder they didn't end up as lesbyterians.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:50 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I was in the Girls Brigade. I didn't mind the churchy bit as there were no dead men on crosses and the priests didn't wear dresses. The activity bit after church was fun, plenty of painting and craft work. Oh and I learned of the evils of alcohol.

I tried the Brownies just going once and hating it. I hid behind an upright piano while they danced round a toadstool singing silly songs. Really cringe making, stuff. My brother and his friends had much more fun in the Cubs.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the brownies, I cut a cake with Lady Baden Powell (wish I still had the press cutting).

My son was in Woodcraft Folk, equality ruled.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I know there are several other replies to this, but I think it's worth rehearsing the same old, tired, arguments about Scouts once more.

There are significant differences between the Scouts organization in the USA and Scouts organizations practically everywhere else in the world. Some of these differences, no doubt, are due to the Boy Scouts of America having been colonised by the religious right-wing several years ago. Far from the inclusiveness and welcoming mantra that pervades Scouting in the rest of the world, the US organization has been very slow to include girls, LGBT youth, and now transgender youth. They still don't admit girls, but have been forced by a court ruling to change their policy so as to allow transgender boys to become members. And it was a very grudging decision a couple of years ago (which actually led to a breakaway of a more intolerant group of Southern Baptists) to allow gay youth to join.

Boy Scouts of America, in contrast to the Scouts organizations in most other countries including Canada, the UK and Australia, is exclusively open to boys in the youth programmes (although women may become adult volunteers). It is also not open to "agnostic or atheist" members, again unlike the organization elsewhere in the world, where the references to "God" in the Law and Promise have been much more liberally interpreted for the last 20 years or so.

I am a volunteer with Scouts Canada, and my children have been or are youth members of the organization. If I lived in the USA, I do not think I would be so keen to be associated with a movement that promulgated such out-of-date and, frankly, bigoted world-views amongst its youth membership.
Every one entitled to their own opinion which organization they wish to join, but courts interfering with a private organization membership policies is not right.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Every one entitled to their own opinion which organization they wish to join, but courts interfering with a private organization membership policies is not right.
I don't think private organizations should be allowed to have membership policies at odds with the law as it would apply to, for example, a pub. It is, for example, ridiculous to exclude women from games, such as golf and darts, that are not played using the penis.

I understand the desire to have women only swimming pools in order to accommodate superstitions about men and suggest that some arrangement of scheduled single-sex use would serve as well as a total gender based ban.

I can't see any case for allowing race based club membership restrictions though I personally would not rush to join, for example, the Ukrainian Club.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:49 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Look at what you've written, carefully. "Every one entitled to their own opinion which organization they wish to join," you say. Exactly, I reply. How dare the Boy Scouts of America overrule that individual's opinion if they decide they want to join the organization? What kind of message is that sending to children? Not all of your friends are created equal... some are better than others and only the best sort can come and join us here?

I'm glad you agree with me on that - even if, as I suspect, you didn't mean to.

As for the courts' right to interfere in restrictive membership policies: that is exactly what the courts are there for; that is precisely their role if a club has membership restrictions that contravene laws.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:50 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

i got asked to leave the girl guides
Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

An eye opening thread
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
An eye opening thread
Yes it is and I can't see why for the life of me men are posting on here. Its a trap and you won't win no matter what you post
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes it is and I can't see why for the life of me men are posting on here. Its a trap and you won't win no matter what you post
Some are more open minded than others, however the words horse dead and flogging spring to mind! lol
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:25 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

So did I.

Or was it leave alone? Can't remember. I'd have to check the court order.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

after my first visit when I laughed at them they suggested I didn't go again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.