Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Gay Pride flag to be flown over CFB Edmonton today

Gay Pride flag to be flown over CFB Edmonton today

Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gay Pride flag to be flown over CFB Edmonton today

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It took me long enough to work out how to get it up there, let alone take it down again.

I could adopt his signature instead, if that would make you feel better.
Profile > edit avatar.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:20 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
As far as I know, the military has never discriminated against left-handed or brown-haired people.Whereas it most certainly has against gay people. So by flying the flag they are presumably declaring that those days are officially over.
I'm not sure there is much discrimination in HQ positions but there certainly is in combat units. We knew of a gay bloke who requested a posting to the Van Doos. My missus said he must be insane.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:49 am
Just Joined

Bill Gibbons will become famous soon enoughBill Gibbons will become famous soon enough
Default Gay Pride flag to be flown over CFB Edmonton today

Originally Posted by Shard
Do you actually believe that? Are you sure you're not repressing some homosexual urges yourself, Billy. It's quite typical amongst the men that are angry about gays. Watch the film "American Beauty" and you may be able to relate to the ex-military man in it. If you're not too busy, that is.
Sorry couldn't resist and answer. Angry about gays? No, just upset that homosexual activism has now infiltrated the military, but that's the wimpification of Canada these days, anyway.

Repressing homosexual urges? Ah, I get it. I am concerned about homosexual activism being pushed into every facet of society - so I surely must be queer, right? I studied for four years to get my degree in criminology, so that must surely mean I'm a closet criminal, right? And I was engaged in anti-terrorism duties of six years in the UK, which makes me a closet terrorist, of course! Let's not mention my ownership of a security & private investigation agency, which means there is a petty criminal just screaming to get out!

So spare me the pop psychology, please.

You must be English.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Bill Gibbons will become famous soon enoughBill Gibbons will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Bye!
Hope the door hits you hard in the butt on the way out
You first.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:59 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill Gibbons
...Let's not mention my ownership of a security & private investigation agency, which means there is a petty criminal just screaming to get out!..

Sounds to me like he's learned his lesson, so it's probably fine to let him out now.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 4:06 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill Gibbons
And I was engaged in anti-terrorism duties of six years in the UK, which makes me a closet terrorist, of course! Let's not mention my ownership of a security & private investigation agency
OK, so you are very tough etc. Good for you.

Gay people until very very recently were massively discriminated against in a whole load of different ways in western countries that are too numerous for me to mention. In large parts of the world, its still OK to kill gay people or imprison them for being who they are. Or they deny gay people even exist.

In our schools, gay kids still get bullied horrifically and have high rates of suicide and they don't understand why people can't accept them for who they are.

Cliches and stereotypes about being gay are still very prolific, as you and some others have demonstrated on this thread with the whole mincing, wimpification and other comments.

Newsflash to you - there are lots of different types of gay people just the same as there are lots of different types of straight people. Its not a lifestyle, people don't 'choose' to be gay any more than you 'choose' to be straight (if indeed you are, I don't like to assume).

So if CFB Edmonton is flying a flag for one day of the year to demonstrate, thank god, that military high command recognizes the mistakes of the past and that its now open for gay people as much as anyone else, what the hell is the problem?

Why on earth do you care?

What do you find so incredibly threatening about this?

I honestly can't understand why anyone would feel the way you do about this issue, although I'm trying, really I am.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

As the original 'day' of flag raising has long passed and due to the thread seeming to be degenerating into a mud slinging arena, I see no reason to keep it open any longer - it serves no purpose.

On that note, thread closed.