Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Gas Burning Appliances/Carbon Monoxide

Gas Burning Appliances/Carbon Monoxide

Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gas Burning Appliances/Carbon Monoxide

I've had a quick look for any codes/guidance/best practice on safety inspections for gas burning appliances in residential homes but nothing definitive turned up.

I heard on the radio last night someone from the fire service saying homeowners should have a safety inspection once a year and have carbon monoxide alarms on each level. Fair enough in my opinion but is there any code/guide that states the requirement for an annual inspection?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gas Burning Appliances/Carbon Monoxide

Originally Posted by jimf
I've had a quick look for any codes/guidance/best practice on safety inspections for gas burning appliances in residential homes but nothing definitive turned up.

I heard on the radio last night someone from the fire service saying homeowners should have a safety inspection once a year and have carbon monoxide alarms on each level. Fair enough in my opinion but is there any code/guide that states the requirement for an annual inspection?
Short answer...no.

I've never heard of any legal requirement in Calgary or Alberta for that matter, to have any gas fired household appliance inspected at any time other than when installed perhaps.

Something that is a law that a lot of people are unaware of is that it is illegal to put an after market insulating blanket on a gas fired hot water heater.

See attached: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...RTk-oA&cad=rja

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 30th 2010 at 5:40 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Short answer...no.

I've never heard of any legal requirement in Calgary or Alberta for that matter, to have any gas fired household appliance inspected at any time other than when installed perhaps.

Something that is a law that a lot of people are unaware of is that it is illegal to put an after market insulating blanket on a gas fired hot water heater.

See attached: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...RTk-oA&cad=rja
Is it common to get furnaces inspected in your experience? I've not really looked closely at the setup we have but there seems to be a flue to discharge combustion gases from the water heater and furnace and I'm guessing that the air for combustion is drawn from the room although I suppose there might be a intake I'll have to look more closely. The standard arrangement in the UK with balanced flues seems much safer and a few years ago they made it a legal requirement for rented properties to have an annual safety inspection.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Is it common to get furnaces inspected in your experience?
Yes. I have the furnace inspected/serviced every other year and the fireplaces in the intervening year.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it common to get furnaces inspected in your experience? I've not really looked closely at the setup we have but there seems to be a flue to discharge combustion gases from the water heater and furnace and I'm guessing that the air for combustion is drawn from the room although I suppose there might be a intake I'll have to look more closely. The standard arrangement in the UK with balanced flues seems much safer and a few years ago they made it a legal requirement for rented properties to have an annual safety inspection.
We had a new furnace installed three years ago and just this last Saturday had it inspected, by the company that installed it. Their recommendation is to have it inspected every two years.

In a newer home with a mid efficiency furnace you should have a large pipe (about 6" diameter) running from outside and coming down from the ceiling close to the furnace that has what appears to be a bucket on the end of it. That is your combustion air for the furnace. There could also be be another pipe attached to the cold air return which is a fresh air intake to the system but not combustion air.

On the newer high efficiency furnaces the exhaust and combustion air are run through white plastic pipe that likely run side by side from inside the furnace to the outside of the home. At least that's how they are run on our new furnace.

Atco Gas used to come and do free inspections of gas appliances, I don't know if they still do that sort of thing.

Edit: Apparently Atco still does the free inspections. http://www.atcogas.com/Safety/home_s...ual_Checks.asp

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 30th 2010 at 6:12 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

[/url]

Why heat the water if it's already hot?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

We had a new furnace installed three years ago and just this last Saturday had it inspected, by the company that installed it. Their recommendation is to have it inspected every two years.

In a newer home with a mid efficiency furnace you should have a large pipe (about 6" diameter) running from outside and coming down from the ceiling close to the furnace that has what appears to be a bucket on the end of it. That is your combustion air for the furnace. There could also be be another pipe attached to the cold air return which is a fresh air intake to the system but not combustion air.

On the newer high efficiency furnaces the exhaust and combustion air are run through white plastic pipe that likely run side by side from inside the furnace to the outside of the home. At least that's how they are run on our new furnace.

Atco Gas used to come and do free inspections of gas appliances, I don't know if they still do that sort of thing.

Edit: Apparently Atco still does the free inspections. http://www.atcogas.com/Safety/home_s...ual_Checks.asp
Thanks that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

laa1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gas appliances should be inspected every year. Most importantly buy a carbon monoxide detector. You have a smoke alarm so why not a co detector? Seeing as CO is odourless and deadly..

Lee
Gas safe reg 514281
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

In Ontario:

If the appliance is naturally vented - which is what yours sounds like - it would need to be inspected annually. The reason is that naturally vented gas appliances have a draft hood and the appliance has to be checked to see that it not spilling products of combustion ie carbon monoxide into the room.

The heat exchanger of the furnace has to be checked too to make sure that it isn't cracked. Also check gas valve etc while you are at it.

Dictated but not signed by Flederman the gasman -certified

He also says that this has regulations are Canada wide and a minimum standard for compliance with add ons etc in each province.

Last edited by fledermaus; Nov 30th 2010 at 9:11 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

DO NOT take chances with gas fired appliances..

3% of CO in your room........unconscious in 3 breaths....dead in 4 minutes.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fledermaus
In Ontario:

If the appliance is naturally vented - which is what yours sounds like - it would need to be inspected annually. The reason is that naturally vented gas appliances have a draft hood and the appliance has to be checked to see that it not spilling products of combustion ie carbon monoxide into the room.

The heat exchanger of the furnace has to be checked too to make sure that it isn't cracked. Also check gas valve etc while you are at it.

Dictated but not signed by Flederman the gasman -certified

He also says that this has regulations are Canada wide and a minimum standard for compliance with add ons etc in each province.

We term these as "open flued" in the UK, even more reason to install a CO alarm..Has nothing to stop products coming into the home in event of a failure.

Lee
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by powerwrap
DO NOT take chances with gas fired appliances..

3% of CO in your room........unconscious in 3 breaths....dead in 4 minutes.
Enough said, Say no more

Lee
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by laa1973
We term these as "open flued" in the UK, even more reason to install a CO alarm..Has nothing to stop products coming into the home in event of a failure.

Lee
I'm sure you do, but Flederman was responding to a question about Canadian regs and not CORGI stuff.

We have a CO alarm in the spare bedroom which has the vent nearest the furnace.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is a pipe approx 6" dia to the furnace which is insulated and feels fairly cold to the touch to it must be the air intake. It terminates in a small bucket/can shape at the side of the furnace. There is a vent from the furnace and one from the water heater which combine and it looks like it then runs up vertically through the roof pressumably. The furnace is about a year old - the person who installed it said it was a mid efficiency furnace. It looks like the gas heater uses air in the room for combustion as I can't see an intake pipe to it.

Anyway I'll see if we can get Atco to take a look.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

There is a pipe approx 6" dia to the furnace which is insulated and feels fairly cold to the touch to it must be the air intake. It terminates in a small bucket/can shape at the side of the furnace. There is a vent from the furnace and one from the water heater which combine and it looks like it then runs up vertically through the roof pressumably. The furnace is about a year old - the person who installed it said it was a mid efficiency furnace. It looks like the gas heater uses air in the room for combustion as I can't see an intake pipe to it.

Anyway I'll see if we can get Atco to take a look.
Can you take a picture??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.