Gardening help!!!!!

Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gardening help!!!!!

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Mmmm problem with nd of season sales is that if you want them pretty immediately you're sol!!!!!

Another reason for making these is that until we know really whats going to happen in the garden, at the gates - it was a quick fix just to tart it up.

Will stop as far as putting those mdf cut outs of cowboys and cowgirls there though (mind you if you take away the silhouettes - the rest looks kind of cool...........................)
I quite like the cutouts!

Certainly much better than the ones you see around here. Golfer outlines pasted on walls seem to be popular.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
That's a bit of a personal question! It would like you to know its bottom is perfectly genuine, and about 4" off the surface of the deck.

That would probably have been the case if we hadn't needed to make steps, a handrail and a box/bench thing as well. By that point it made sense to build one big planter to follow the 45° angle on that side of the deck. And I already had more tools than I knew what to do with - I seem to have accumulated power saws in particular in the last couple of years. This project gave me excuses to use table saw, mitre saw, circular saw and jigsaw (and even, shock horror, a handsaw to repair a botch I made halfway through...).

SWMBO would probably also argue that a project that kept me out of her way and in a position to keep half an eye on the kids in the garden for three weekends was well worth any additional cost over buying the stuff ready-made, in any case
The planters must be bleedin' heavy. I made some for the front steps a couple of years back (now residing at my neighbour's cottage). Even empty, the weighed a ton. I put in false botoms about halfway down.

When it stops raining, I guess I'll have to take some pics of the mods to my deck.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:47 pm

Mmmm problem with nd of season sales is that if you want them pretty immediately you're sol!!!!!

Another reason for making these is that until we know really whats going to happen in the garden, at the gates - it was a quick fix just to tart it up.

Will stop as far as putting those
mdf cut outs
of cowboys and cowgirls there though (mind you if you take away the silhouettes - the rest looks kind of cool...........................)
mdf?

Er......<Oh never mind>
Old Jun 9th 2009, 3:00 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
mdf?

Er......<Oh never mind>

Sorry its an Alberta thing - most people put these silly cut outs either side of their gates, but when I was looking for a piccy to post I found that really nice one of those other gates - so went off on a tangent and put that there instead
Old Jun 9th 2009, 3:54 pm

Sorry its an Alberta thing - most people put these silly cut outs either side of their gates, but when I was looking for a piccy to post I found that really nice one of those other gates - so went off on a tangent and put that there instead
The cut outs don't concern me (actually they do, deeply). The choice material does concern me. You don't use mdf outside. It disintegrates when it gets wet.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

The cut outs don't concern me (actually they do, deeply). The choice material does concern me. You don't use mdf outside. It disintegrates when it gets wet.
Isn't it full of formaldehyde too??
Old Jun 9th 2009, 5:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

ok well maybe its not mdf maybe its ply whatever they are they are wooden if that helps
Old Jun 9th 2009, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Isn't it full of formaldehyde too??
Yes but it's only an issue when you're cutting/sanding it (ie making dust). You should wear a mask when doing that (I'm a fine one to talk).
Old Jun 9th 2009, 5:48 pm

ok well maybe its not mdf maybe its ply whatever they are they are wooden if that helps
Probably some sort of exterior-grade plywood. The stuff what houses get covered in.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Probably some sort of exterior-grade plywood. The stuff what houses get covered in.
I'd use mdo for that purpose.

But I'd also never do something like that.

If you know what I mean.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I'd use mdo for that purpose.

But I'd also never do something like that.

If you know what I mean.
Oh, I most certainly know what you mean.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
My tomato plant.
Just an update on my tomato plant. I now have over 20 tomatoes on it. Have eaten three which were quite delicious.
Attached Thumbnails Gardening help!!!!!-tomato1.jpg   Gardening help!!!!!-tomato3.jpg   Gardening help!!!!!-tomato4.jpg