Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Gang Shootings Toronto Rant

Gang Shootings Toronto Rant

Old Jul 3rd 2018, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gang Shootings Toronto Rant

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think Jerseygirl's point was that the other kind is far less common in Canada - Montreal Poly aside...but that was 1982, which was rather point was it not?
Exactly.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 6:55 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Aren’t most of the shootings around TO gang related? Not 5 year old Jimmy accidentally shooting is 2 year old sister with his father’s gun...or 50+ shot while watching a band play....or 12 kids shot at school.
actually, two kids shot in a playground, none of the children were gang members

Point being, innocent members of the public are being cauhjt up in the crossfire
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi

actually, two kids shot in a playground, none of the children were gang members

Point being, innocent members of the public are being cauhjt up in the crossfire
I did write ‘most’.

Yes I get the point...still nothing like the US...which were dbd’s comments I replied to.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I did write ‘most’.

Yes I get the point...still nothing like the US...which were dbd’s comments I replied to.
True...but I think gang related shootings are regarded differently to the examples I gave. Think of it as vermin control.

IMO any gun related death is one death too many,
Aren’t most of the shootings around TO gang related? Not 5 year old Jimmy accidentally shooting is 2 year old sister with his father’s gun...or 50+ shot while watching a band play....or 12 kids shot at school.
The problem is the locations of the shootings are happening in high density places with plenty of innocent bystanders who could be hit in the exchange of bullets.

Gang on gang was fine when they kept it in their own back yard.

It's in ours now.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
it's just that it's irked me since Michael Moore waddled on to the scene that Canadians seek to create a perception that, somehow, guns are safer once you ship them up here.
Pistols are quite strictly controlled here (though there was the recent case of someone buying about a dozen of them and loaning them to his criminal mates and the police not thinking that just maybe they should check the guy out a bit more), and they're the guns that criminals most want. And all legal gun owners require a background check that would disqualify gang members.

The Parkland shooter, for example, couldn't legally have got a gun in Canada, because he was a known loon who would also have had a hard time finding two references to vouch for him on his application.

But that doesn't stop the Liberals wasting time imposing more silly rules on law-abiding gun owners when they could be spending the time doing something about gangs instead. Hence the mess we're seeing today.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 11:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by MarkG
Pistols are quite strictly controlled here (though there was the recent case of someone buying about a dozen of them and loaning them to his criminal mates and the police not thinking that just maybe they should check the guy out a bit more), and they're the guns that criminals most want. And all legal gun owners require a background check that would disqualify gang members.

The Parkland shooter, for example, couldn't legally have got a gun in Canada, because he was a known loon who would also have had a hard time finding two references to vouch for him on his application.

But that doesn't stop the Liberals wasting time imposing more silly rules on law-abiding gun owners when they could be spending the time doing something about gangs instead. Hence the mess we're seeing today.
I read yesterday that most of the illegal guns in Canada are from the US. US border control are not concerned with people taking guns out of the US.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I read yesterday that most of the illegal guns in Canada are from the US. US border control are not concerned with people taking guns out of the US.
Yes. It's hard to stop criminals getting guns when there's a vast land border with a country that's awash with them.

Not to mention a huge smuggling infrastructure bringing drugs and other illegal items into the country. Adding a few guns to the cargo isn't really hard for them to do.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 1:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG

I have some guns. I used to have a handgun that I purchased at a drive thru gun store in the US and brought back to Canada. In order to buy it I had to pass my, Canadian, gun license through the drive in window, it was returned to me with the weapon even though it doesn't cover the gun being purchased. I never used that gun and it's not legal to have so I eventually binned it. The other guns are legal for me to hold and, indeed, legal for me to leave in the back seat of a convertible or in the bed of a pick up truck. I don't think one can say that anyone has wasted time imposing silly rules on law-abiding gun owners in Canada. My experience is that, if you want a gun, you can have a gun.

Thus, I reject the idea that the effort expended could been used to do something about gangs. I do wonder though what these misguided Liberals should have done; perhaps stamp out immigrants?
Old Jul 5th 2018, 1:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is a surprise to anyone and I don't think it's avoidable; guns are legal in the US and so available in Canada. Similarly, when marijuana is legal in Canada Americans will start trying it.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 3:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is a surprise to anyone and I don't think it's avoidable; guns are legal in the US and so available in Canada. Similarly, when marijuana is legal in Canada Americans will start trying it.
American's don't need it to be legal in Canada to start trying it, they can simply go to one of the 9 states that have legalized pot for recreational use, or one of the 3 Native American reservations.'

Its legal for medicinal use in 31 states.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 11:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
American's don't need it to be legal in Canada to start trying it, they can simply go to one of the 9 states that have legalized pot for recreational use, or one of the 3 Native American reservations.'

Its legal for medicinal use in 31 states.
OK, another example, certain generic drugs are not available for sale in the US so as to protect the patent of the branded equivalent. The generic versions are legal for sale in Canada, due to the long border and heavy traffic across it, nothing can be done to effectively prevent the availability of those drugs in the US. If something is widely available on one side of the border it will be widely available on the other. Marlboro is another example, never legally sold in Canada (due to a trademark issue) but widely available in the US, I smoked them for twenty years in Canada, buying them at corner stores as easily as a bag of weed.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 12:10 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, another example, certain generic drugs are not available for sale in the US so as to protect the patent of the branded equivalent. The generic versions are legal for sale in Canada, due to the long border and heavy traffic across it, nothing can be done to effectively prevent the availability of those drugs in the US. If something is widely available on one side of the border it will be widely available on the other. Marlboro is another example, never legally sold in Canada (due to a trademark issue) but widely available in the US, I smoked them for twenty years in Canada, buying them at corner stores as easily as a bag of weed.
Were you buying US Marlboro or the Canadian spoiler version? Buying dodgy smokes is getting iffy, apparently. One can, allegedly, buy a carton for $20 on certain reservations but you're stuffed if you get caught off-reservation. Anyone you see using a cigarette case is naughty.

Returning to topic, Ottawa is also getting tasty. Mostly gang related but people are getting caught up in the crossfire.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 12:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Were you buying US Marlboro or the Canadian spoiler version? Buying dodgy smokes is getting iffy, apparently. One can, allegedly, buy a carton for $20 on certain reservations but you're stuffed if you get caught off-reservation. Anyone you see using a cigarette case is naughty.

Returning to topic, Ottawa is also getting tasty. Mostly gang related but people are getting caught up in the crossfire.
I get the impression that everyone buys their smokes on a reserve. The ones sold in clear plastic bags aren't approved by Health Canada but the brand name ones such as Sago are. There now a roaring trade at "herbal dispensaries " Alderville First Nation has several of these.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 12:41 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

I get the impression that everyone buys their smokes on a reserve. The ones sold in clear plastic bags aren't approved by Health Canada but the brand name ones such as Sago are. There now a roaring trade at "herbal dispensaries " Alderville First Nation has several of these.
Health Canada approves cigarettes? I somehow doubt that.

We do not buy from the reserves. We go to Costco. Law-abiding citizens and all that.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Health Canada approves cigarettes? I somehow doubt that.

We do not buy from the reserves. We go to Costco. Law-abiding citizens and all that.
I'm not a smoker but I gather cigarettes at the Kirkland Boutique is the cheapest way to go. Do you need to be a re-seller for those? It seems very few people buy cigarettes at the location near my house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.