British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Gaming consoles (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/gaming-consoles-740351/)

mandymoochops Nov 29th 2011 3:20 am

Gaming consoles

I know there are a million options on Google to search through, but seeing as I kinda know you guys I thought i'd ask you.

What is the best one to get if you were thinking of getting one, Xbox360, Wii, or theres another one that escapes my memory oh yeah the ps3.

What the heck is the best to get, can you use those little plastic bar things like on the Wii on the 360, ie is it interactive etc.

Toying with buying one for christmas for husb. I don't think he's the sort to do lots of online games against other spectacled wearing game folk but I think he'd probably like shooting games and golf and stuff.

So what do you get and why :confused: TIA

Former Lancastrian Nov 29th 2011 3:31 am

Re: Gaming consoles

My kids (young adults) might suggest the PS3 from Sony. When not used for gaming you can use it as a blu-ray player or for streaming Netflix.
Other than that Im of no further use as even I cant operate any of them on their level and I hate losing to them because of my inabilities to learn or not really giving a **** about getting one.

mandymoochops Nov 29th 2011 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 9759377)
My kids (young adults) might suggest the PS3 from Sony. When not used for gaming you can use it as a blu-ray player or for streaming Netflix.
Other than that Im of no further use as even I cant operate any of them on their level and I hate losing to them because of my inabilities to learn or not really giving a **** about getting one.

Absolutely where I am on the matter too ;)

Siouxie Nov 29th 2011 3:48 am

PS3 is the best one in my book.

The games on the Wii (IMO) tend to be very "cartoon" like and aimed more at children, apart from the fitness stuff.

The PS3 you can also get "move" camera, controller and games which are quite fun, the normal games like golf, football (FIFA), rugby, etc are excellent, you also have the option of going online as stated above and Blue Ray movies etc. Get him guitar hero if he likes music!

There are a lot of deals on PS3 consoles and PS3 games at the moment :D

:thumbsup:

Chookie Nov 29th 2011 3:52 am

We have a wii and a ps3.... the kids love both equally... for me,. I prefer the PS3 - better graphics, less cartoony, and I am addicted to Fallout New Vegas, and we only have that for ten PS3.

But I do use the fitness trainer thing on the Wii (also dubbed the "bitch queen from hell!"....

I would say which to choose depends on your target market - you and hubby, go for PS3 every time (don't have an xbox so can't comment). If kids are going to be playing and they are young enough to like cartoons go for the wii...

I am a gamer, but I am an old skool gamer that uses the PC...... Wow/Eq/EQ2/LOTRonline and lots of other pc games (heck I have been playing CIV, Xcom and baldurs gate lately!)

I have become addicted to some of the PS3 games - fallout new vegas is my current addiction...... so they are not all bad.

I guess you have to ask if you like shooot-em-ups and/or cartoony graphics (Wii is cartoony!) - if so a games machine is your thing... for me I like my PC's

mandymoochops Nov 29th 2011 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Chookie (Post 9759404)
We have a wii and a ps3.... the kids love both equally... for me,. I prefer the PS3 - better graphics, less cartoony, and I am addicted to Fallout New Vegas, and we only have that for ten PS3.

But I do use the fitness trainer thing on the Wii (also dubbed the "bitch queen from hell!"....

I would say which to choose depends on your target market - you and hubby, go for PS3 every time (don't have an xbox so can't comment). If kids are going to be playing and they are young enough to like cartoons go for the wii...

I am a gamer, but I am an old skool gamer that uses the PC...... Wow/Eq/EQ2/LOTRonline and lots of other pc games (heck I have been playing CIV, Xcom and baldurs gate lately!)

I have become addicted to some of the PS3 games - fallout new vegas is my current addiction...... so they are not all bad.

I guess you have to ask if you like shooot-em-ups and/or cartoony graphics (Wii is cartoony!) - if so a games machine is your thing... for me I like my PC's

Is that secret FBI code or something :confused:

Flossie and Jim Nov 29th 2011 4:02 am

My other half justified getting a PS3 because it has an in-built blu-ray player so it doubles up for watching DVDs (blu-rays, anyway).

If you do go for a PS3, I highly recommend Singstar - not for your hubby but for you and the girlies (or maybe your hubby is a closet karaoke fan - who knows) - its basically a karaoke game and you get a couple of microphones with it - there's lots of different volumes around e.g. mixes, Abba, Queen, Michael Jackson, etc. Its a good laugh after a few bevvies :rofl:

mandymoochops Nov 29th 2011 4:08 am

hmmm lots of votes for the ps3 so far and that was probably the last one I would have thought to get - see how helpful you are :thumbsup: thanks

Alan2005 Nov 29th 2011 5:10 am

I've got a PS3; I chose it because it's got a blu-ray player even though I don't think I've ever used it. I've also got a wii, but it's gathering dust on a shelf - so don't get one of them.

If it's just for gaming, you'll be ok with either an xbox 360 or a ps3 as 99% of games are available on both. If you want a blu-ray player, go with the PS3.

Alan2005 Nov 29th 2011 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Chookie (Post 9759404)

Being a gamer is my main indoor hobby, but I prefer consoles cos I can sit on the sofa.

Never really got into fallout 3 so didn't look at NV even though I heard good things about it. Skyrim is currently sucking away a fair bit of my free time right now and I can't play huge RPG's back to back so I'll probably never get NV unless nothing else comes out in six months.

scribe123 Nov 29th 2011 6:39 am

I wouldn't bother using google to make your decision.

You'll find site after site full of fanboys and fangirls throwing mud at the alternatives.

PS3 and XBox 360 are about the same. As a poster above said, go with a PS3 if you want blu-ray, BUT if it's anything like the Xbox which I have (it can play DVDs) it may not be good for watching films as it may be a very noisy player (Alan 2005 - can you comment?).

Wii is more of a family console, although with Microsoft Kinect for the 360, the XBox is trying to move into that domain. I played a dancing game as a group and it was quite fun (made an @rse of myself of course :) ).

nldfc Nov 29th 2011 11:52 am

My kids lost interest in the wii pretty quickly - I borrowed an x-box with kinnect for last weekend to try them out with and it was quite a hit and made the "Santa List"

Got a feeling that the kinnect might be short lived fun for them but I am looking forward to shooting all the aliens in the Halo series when they lose interest again :thumbup:

Dave n Ailsa Nov 29th 2011 12:20 pm

XBox 360 for me.

Had a few shots of the PS3 and hated the controller. Yes, it's that simple, lol.

The Xbox used to have much more titles than the PS3, but I think it's caught up now.

Not much in it, whatever's cheaper :thumbsup:

TheThornes Nov 29th 2011 12:20 pm

We've got a Wii and a PS3. Like another poster said, our kids too lost interest very quickly in the Wii and I can't remember the last time it was used but the PS3 is used daily by all of us; mostly for watching Netflix. Occasionally we watch DVDs on it (not often though as, firstly, most of our DVDs are UK ones so won't play on it anyway and, secondly, most of what we want to watch we can find on Netflix anyway). My husband and son do both use it for gaming too; mostly Star Wars and racing games.

Can't comment on the XBox.

Niobii Nov 29th 2011 12:38 pm

My OH has an xbox 360 and loves it. Loves it so much that I think I must be what they call a Call of Duty widow! ;) We already have a blue ray player etc so decided that the xbox was the one for us. A little tip though, if you think the constant noise of it (more from them shouting at it to be honest!) might irritate you eventually I'd get some headphones too! :D