British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Friends that become family (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/friends-become-family-636363/)

lisadd Oct 18th 2009 8:01 pm

Friends that become family

Well the hardest thing is saying goodbye to family in the UK, its hard and no one likes the goodbyes, but i must have to say, the friends you start making here are great and they became your family here! if there expats they can understand your feelings and surport you through all the good and bad times!

Just thought i would share my experince with you. - my kids now call my friends little boys their cousins!

They still love and talk to all the family in the UK but its nice to have the love here too!

Thanks

Lisa dd

snoopster Oct 18th 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Friends that become family

know what you mean hon, I thought I'd never make the kinds of friends again that I had to leave behind in the UK, but I reckon I'm well on the way to having friends that are just as wonderful over here.

Getting There Oct 18th 2009 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by lisadd (Post 8026300)
Well the hardest thing is saying goodbye to family in the UK, its hard and no one likes the goodbyes, but i must have to say, the friends you start making here are great and they became your family here! if there expats they can understand your feelings and surport you through all the good and bad times!

Just thought i would share my experince with you. - my kids now call my friends little boys their cousins!

They still love and talk to all the family in the UK but its nice to have the love here too!

Thanks

Lisa dd

Well said Lisa.

Eamonn & Janet.

Cookie Oct 18th 2009 11:12 pm

We have friends that have become family to us - the Dignans (met through BE). Mr D stayed with us on his reccie, then moved here 2 months later. We have been friends for almost 2 years. :wub:

We also have quite a few Canadian friends in common, and others too who are just simply the best and we love them. Sure makes this little old town feel like home :thumbsup:

lisadd Oct 19th 2009 12:11 am

hi

Its lovely to find such nice friends and with so much in common, i can say this from the heart it makes the move alot easier to have people to talk too and the odd hug as we all need one of those !!!

Lisa dd :)

Cassie 10000 Oct 19th 2009 4:13 pm

We have been in Edmonton now for nearly eleven months.

We have made some really great friends, I would do anything for them and hopefully the other way round :D I met all of them from BE meetups so yes they are English. (better add Welsh in there)

We are even starting to make some good Canadian friends, which has come a little later on, but better late than never. Eh. ;)

It has been hard work at the beginning and sometimes very lonely, but don't loose faith, it does come eventually. :thumbsup:

thedignans Oct 19th 2009 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 8026574)
We have friends that have become family to us - the Dignans (met through BE). Mr D stayed with us on his reccie, then moved here 2 months later. We have been friends for almost 2 years. :wub:

We also have quite a few Canadian friends in common, and others too who are just simply the best and we love them. Sure makes this little old town feel like home :thumbsup:

We love you all too Joyce,
You, Wullie and the boys have helped us settle in and it is great to know that even if my biological family are miles away I have a brand new one just up the road.

We have made the most amazing friends here, much more than I ever had at the latter end in the UK. So we have been blessed and I really do believe that the friends we have made have enriched our lives ten fold.

Julie

lisadd Oct 19th 2009 4:32 pm

Yes i know what you mean about giving it time! its not that i am loney it just like to have good friends around me and leaving everyone back in the UK was hard.

Thank goodness we have made some new ones now and we all enjoying our time together, even when the kids are fighting :rofl:

I hope your loving your new life here in Alberta and looking forward to all those cold days ahead!

Take care

Lisa

Cassie 10000 Oct 19th 2009 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by lisadd (Post 8028220)
Yes i know what you mean about giving it time! its not that i am loney it just like to have good friends around me and leaving everyone back in the UK was hard.

Thank goodness we have made some new ones now and we all enjoying our time together, even when the kids are fighting :rofl:

I hope your loving your new life here in Alberta and looking forward to all those cold days ahead!

Take care

Lisa

I wasn't saying you in particular were lonely, it was just a general comment for everyone to read :)

It's quite hard emigrating, you really are starting again from scratch.

I'm ready for the winter by the way, bring it on the sooner the better then we can hit the slopes. :thumbsup:

lisadd Oct 19th 2009 4:41 pm

hey i know it wasnt aimed at me! its just the way i had written it!! :)

Enjoy the snow, take care

Lisa

pthom Oct 19th 2009 6:35 pm

Our friends are now our family too. I find they're usually more than willing to help when you need it and vice versa. Both ex-pats and Canadians. Our girls have grown up with our friends kids and they're all brothers and sisters now!

I wonder if it's because we all have to work harder at finding friends when we emigrate?

lisadd Oct 19th 2009 6:41 pm

thats really lovely, i am hoping ours think that way about our friends kids!

:D

Cookie Oct 19th 2009 8:07 pm

Good friends are family you choose for yourself :wub:

lisadd Oct 19th 2009 8:12 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Alan2005 Oct 19th 2009 9:49 pm

Is reckon that this may be the schmaltziest thread ever posted. Well done!