Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

French vs Anglo Health Care

French vs Anglo Health Care

Old Apr 29th 2022, 7:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default French vs Anglo Health Care

This is probably of minor (or no) interest to anybody and might just be a New Brunswick thing but possibly Quebec too, but does anyone have an experience of French Hospitals (in Canada) that might contrast with their experience of English Hospitals (in Canada)?

Not in the actual healthcare levels but in operational or efficiency-wise matters.

I had some (family) experience in Quebec of blood tests and once registered they called people from the waiting area to the phlebotomy room in groups of half a dozen, not calling the next group until the first group had all been done.

In New Brunswick, once registered, they also called people in batches but they were lined up at the door with the first person in line replacing the one just done. The line-up was maintained so there was always someone ready for an available phlebotomist. This was in the 'English' hospital near where I live.

A while back I went to the 'French' hospital in Moncton (we have two separate health authorities, one English the other French, although both bilingual) and encountered a very bureaucratic registration system that involved a central registration point as well as checking in at the individual clinics. I went for several weeks, registering twice each time, for treatment to a small ulcer on my toe.

During this treatment I also had blood tests and they used the system that I experienced in Quebec. Phlebotomists finishing with their patient and then nothing to do until the next batch.

It just seems inefficient.

I've lived here now for 17 years and at various times the French hospital has been closed to visitors for various outbreaks but more often particular wards. Or certain procedures have been postponed while operating theatres were cleaned. Pre-pandemic closures of this type never happened (or if it did it never reached the media) at the English hospital.

It just got me wondering, do they do things differently and less well in the French system? Maybe the French authority isn't as well funded as the English one. Perhaps the building is older and requires more in keeping up to standards.

And a new situation in the news today. A mother took her child to the French hospital after an accident. Broken or fractured wrist.
They waited 18 hours and hadn't been seen by anyone after Triage. Apparently told the delay was because they didn't have a room free.

(When my MIL broke her ankle, she was very quickly seen (at the English hospital) without going to a room and sent straight to x-ray and surgery very soon after.)

Someone there checked their app and discovered shorter wait times at the English hospital. So mum told the staff she was going there and they apparently said "good luck with that, their wait times are over 20 hours" and they suggested she go to another hospital out of town. Two hours drive away. She had no transport so went the short distance - possibly by taxi or the bus that links - to the English hospital where x-ray and cast was all done within 2 hours.

If the account is true, it's almost as if there's something very wrong there and the staff discouraged her from going where it was better.

The newspaper tried to get official information but lips are sealed.

Both hospitals have suffered recent offload problems from ambulances but it's been the French one with the really long delays.

The differences between the two are staggering and it's hard to avoid concluding something is very wrong somewhere.

Old Apr 29th 2022, 11:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French vs Anglo Health Care

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This is probably of minor (or no) interest to anybody and might just be a New Brunswick thing but possibly Quebec too, but does anyone have an experience of French Hospitals (in Canada) that might contrast with their experience of English Hospitals (in Canada)?

Not in the actual healthcare levels but in operational or efficiency-wise matters.

I had some (family) experience in Quebec of blood tests and once registered they called people from the waiting area to the phlebotomy room in groups of half a dozen, not calling the next group until the first group had all been done.

In New Brunswick, once registered, they also called people in batches but they were lined up at the door with the first person in line replacing the one just done. The line-up was maintained so there was always someone ready for an available phlebotomist. This was in the 'English' hospital near where I live.

A while back I went to the 'French' hospital in Moncton (we have two separate health authorities, one English the other French, although both bilingual) and encountered a very bureaucratic registration system that involved a central registration point as well as checking in at the individual clinics. I went for several weeks, registering twice each time, for treatment to a small ulcer on my toe.

During this treatment I also had blood tests and they used the system that I experienced in Quebec. Phlebotomists finishing with their patient and then nothing to do until the next batch.
How do you know they had nothing to do? This might be the time they do the paperwork, or head off to collect blood from an inpatient

It just seems inefficient.

I've lived here now for 17 years and at various times the French hospital has been closed to visitors for various outbreaks but more often particular wards. Or certain procedures have been postponed while operating theatres were cleaned. Pre-pandemic closures of this type never happened (or if it did it never reached the media) at the English hospital.

It would have but maybe not so frequently . Deep cleaning has to happen after cases with certain infectious/contagious conditions. sometimes the room has to be left to self dry, Sometimes it's a for a few hours depending on the bug. I'm thinking here of MRSA and C Difficile. IN radiology we would try and book such patients at the end of the day but sometimes you weren't given the information until the patient was in the room.

It just got me wondering, do they do things differently and less well in the French system? Maybe the French authority isn't as well funded as the English one. Perhaps the building is older and requires more in keeping up to standards.

And a new situation in the news today. A mother took her child to the French hospital after an accident. Broken or fractured wrist. Same thing, a fracture is a break. There are many types of fracture but they are all broken bones.

They waited 18 hours and hadn't been seen by anyone after Triage. Apparently told the delay was because they didn't have a room free.

(When my MIL broke her ankle, she was very quickly seen (at the English hospital) without going to a room and sent straight to x-ray and surgery very soon after.)

Maybe the triage system is different? though you would expect a child to be seen sooner you never know whats going on behind the doors. One complex case can tie up staff for hours.
Re the ankle xray, x rays of ankles on adults can often be ordered by the triage nurse if certain diagnostic criteria are present and a standing order protocol has been written up. You can't do this for children. Once the xray showed the fracture they can makes some calls and hand over to orthopaedics.

Someone there checked their app and discovered shorter wait times at the English hospital. So mum told the staff she was going there and they apparently said "good luck with that, their wait times are over 20 hours" and they suggested she go to another hospital out of town. Two hours drive away. She had no transport so went the short distance - possibly by taxi or the bus that links - to the English hospital where x-ray and cast was all done within 2 hours.

If the account is true, it's almost as if there's something very wrong there and the staff discouraged her from going where it was better. i doubt there was any malice or evil plan afoot.

The newspaper tried to get official information but lips are sealed. Of course. Patient confidentiality.

Both hospitals have suffered recent offload problems from ambulances but it's been the French one with the really long delays.

The differences between the two are staggering and it's hard to avoid concluding something is very wrong somewhere.
Definitely,
Old Apr 30th 2022, 12:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Definitely,
The phlebotomists were observed with nothing to do until the next batch. Literally social chitchat. You can't mistake that when you're in the same room and you hear them.

Regarding the cleaning - I should have used the stronger word that was used in the media reports but I can't remember it. It suggested that something had gone wrong and needed righting. Whatever it was, it wouldn't make sense to announce closures/delayed ops in one hospital and not the other if they were happening in both.

I don't expect any comment from the hospital confidentiality wise. But when there's a story like this the spokesperson says something general. "particularly busy"...."we had a major incident to deal with"....stuff like that. They've done all that with the ambulance offloads for example. It really was noticeable the way they kept shtum this time.

Not even a "we would never say that"

Thanks for the answers though, I was hoping you'd respond with your inside information.
Old Apr 30th 2022, 10:12 am
Oscar nominated

When I wrote the OP it was from memory. I re-read the report.
Same thing, a fracture is a break. There are many types of fracture but they are all broken bones.

Maybe the triage system is different? though you would expect a child to be seen sooner you never know whats going on behind the doors. One complex case can tie up staff for hours.
After the 18 hours at the first hospital, within 2 hours at the second one
pain meds, pillows, x-rays and a cast. The doctor informed mum that she had broken a bone in her wrist...when asked about the triage process (by the newspaper) for this kind of injury the spokesperson said "basically, worst comes first"
Quite the difference in time and their spokesperson actually spoke to the situation without breaking any confidentiality rules.

Old Apr 30th 2022, 8:27 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

When I wrote the OP it was from memory. I re-read the report.

After the 18 hours at the first hospital, within 2 hours at the second one
Quite the difference in time and their spokesperson actually spoke to the situation without breaking any confidentiality rules.
Well yes, triage does prioritise in order of need, Im sure that you've seen something like this before.
  • Level 1 – Immediate: life threatening.
  • Level 2 – Emergency: could become life threatening.
  • Level 3 – Urgent: not life threatening.
  • Level 4 – Semi-urgent: not life threatening.
  • Level 5 – Non-urgent: needs treatment when time permits.
So if you are in level 4 you may think you are getting closer to the top, but if Levels 1-3 keep coming in you'll just have to wait. There should be a procedure that's invoked when wait times are at a certain level, or rooms are full. This could mean calling in more staff, diverting ambulances elsewhere, closing ED. But if there's no staff to call in, or nor alternative hospitals then you just keep on going. You can't move patients out of ED if there aren't any free beds on the floors.

Old Apr 30th 2022, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

.So if you are in level 4 you may think you are getting closer to the top, but if Levels 1-3 keep coming in you'll just have to wait.
Yep. And of course a lot of people wait because they went for stuff that was more appropriate to a family doc that they don't have or a walk-in that they could go to but don't.

Old May 1st 2022, 6:11 pm
limey party pooper

Yep. And of course a lot of people wait because they went for stuff that was more appropriate to a family doc that they don't have or a walk-in that they could go to but don't.
Oh yes, it happens so often