Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Four months of not winter - 2020

The Four months of not winter - 2020

Old Oct 12th 2020, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Four months of not winter - 2020

Originally Posted by MillieF
Then take that responsibility very seriously please Every year my office seems to endure a week in spring when we are absolutely glacial, and a week in fall when they make us endure Turkish bath like temperatures...Or vice versa, we never know what to expect...a gentle transition into the horrible next season would be appreciated
The breakroom we had at the airport in Vancouver was like that, September 1st for whatever reason the a/c would be shut off, and even though it's still like 20+ degrees most days in Vancouver in September apparently we didn't need a/c on anymore, then in March when still chilly they would blast the a/c lol

I lived in an old apartment once that had one of those old heating systems that heated the units with a boiler and I think hot water through pipes, not really sure how it worked, but we didn't have control over the temp, and I spent most of the winter with windows open because it would get like 28 degrees inside with them shut which is way way too hot for me to be comfortable...

So glad newer buildings (pretty much anything built after 1990) have each unit self contained heat wise, sure it costs the tenant a bit more in electricity, but so much nicer having control over the temp of where you live.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 12th 2020 at 5:43 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 3:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked the Kootenay Pass cam..

Old Oct 13th 2020, 4:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
OMG

I better get my winter tires on pretty damn quick.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Those who are willing to traverse the mountain passes in snow are braver than I.

Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

Always amazed how fast summer to fall change is temp wise, in a period of a week went from nice, to its a bit chilly now in the morning, waking up to 19-20C so soon the heat will need to come on.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

Subject to change as Environment Canada often does, but they forecast a possibility for snow Thursday night into Friday in Kelowna.

Lows of -2 to - 3 Thursday and Friday night, clearing Sat with lows of -9.

Fri to Sun daytime high hovering around 0 to 1

Old Oct 21st 2020, 6:14 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Always amazed how fast summer to fall change is temp wise, in a period of a week went from nice, to its a bit chilly now in the morning, waking up to 19-20C so soon the heat will need to come on.
Two things you don't need living in the BC interior
1. Umbrella
2. Spring or fall jacket
Old Oct 21st 2020, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

I might actually get to wear my winter jackets again! They are nearly brand new looks wise, got them in 2012 in Ontario where it was cold and I was spending part of the winter, but then came back to coastal BC and never wore them again as it was never cold enough.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 2:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Snowing quite hard here. 5-10cm expected by the end of the day.

Thank God I'm WFH, I haven't put my snow tires on yet.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

21c today - blue sky and sunshine .. Mother nature having one last hurrah for the year, I suspect!!
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
Snowing quite hard here. 5-10cm expected by the end of the day.

Thank God I'm WFH, I haven't put my snow tires on yet.
Same here. Minus the work from home, just the snow part.

Old Oct 23rd 2020, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Also have to use the heat in the new place, doesn't stay warm like the Vancouver place did. Maybe wood frame construction isn't as insulating as a concrete building?

Although we do have more exposed walls to the outdoors in the new place, which probably makes a difference. I do wish though apartments had forced air heating instead of baseboard, although the living room has the mini split which is nice but not sure if its any cheaper to run since its electric, but who knows.

I think I may also need to get a battery back up for my PC, the power seems less reliable here, keeps having little split second surges or power cuts, just enough to cause the PC to go off then come back on. Lights don't go off, but fan, PC are mainly the ones affected. Can't be good for them.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 23rd 2020 at 7:58 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 10:40 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Dear God I wished I hadn’t looked at this thread...between Jsmth and Danny I’m feeling rather Thank heavens for Siouxie when you need her ...you are our sunshine!
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

Maybe it's time to bring back a winter thread...Bristol where are you.......
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 11:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Maybe it's time to bring back a winter thread...Bristol where are you.......
Only a week and a half of October left, and most of us have been pretty lucky so far. Winter (November, December, January, February, March) is right around the corner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.