Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Four months of not winter - 2020

The Four months of not winter - 2020

Old Dec 22nd 2020, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Four months of not winter - 2020

Originally Posted by caretaker
Because they don't have the stuff to plow and remove a lot of snow, it takes every city worker they can round up in Vancouver on a weekend just to keep the drains clear. I came in on the bus once, and all the way from Chilliwack there were cars in the ditch. I gave up counting them by Abbotsford and started just counting those with all 4 wheels in the air, and there were dozens.

That stretch of highway 1 between Chilliwack and Abbotsford is nasty in the winter. I was working in Abby one winter and living in Chilliwack and they shut the highway down from Abby to Chilliwack, so I couldn't even get home.

Although Highway 1 is under provincial jurisdiction and they of course contract out to whatever company has that part of the highway, some of the companies do a better job than others, but yes the city's do a very bad job, lack the equipment to do it properly, and funding, and some smaller city's wont plow on Sunday or holidays, looking at your Chilliwack.

It's always a cluster anytime is snows in the Lower Mainland.
Old Dec 24th 2020, 9:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 25th 2020, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

High of -3 expected today, its currently -3 so maybe we have reached the high temp for the day. Cloudy with snow expected overnight.

The weekend cold but no real snow in the forecast after tonight.

Old Dec 29th 2020, 1:58 am
Account Closed

Controlled avalanche, snow shed worked.

Old Dec 30th 2020, 12:19 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

We are nearly at the end of December and it’s been amazing! No snow, or not the usual 25 cms we’d be under by now! Last year (how sad does this sound) I asked for a new snowblower for this Christmas! I now have a super smart thing that ‘I’ should be able to handle...and I haven’t had the chance I don’t want the climate to change in any negative way, but I do hope I might get the chance to escape before it gets back to its normal frigid solidity!
Old Dec 30th 2020, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MillieF
We are nearly at the end of December and it’s been amazing! No snow, or not the usual 25 cms we’d be under by now! Last year (how sad does this sound) I asked for a new snowblower for this Christmas! I now have a super smart thing that ‘I’ should be able to handle...and I haven’t had the chance I don’t want the climate to change in any negative way, but I do hope I might get the chance to escape before it gets back to its normal frigid solidity!
La Nina is creating above average temps for your part of the world, but creating below normal temps out west, we are getting snow for the next 2 or 3 days apparently, but I don't have to clear it, some company comes at 5am and clears the drive and sidewalks.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 1:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
We are nearly at the end of December and it’s been amazing! No snow, or not the usual 25 cms we’d be under by now!
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
La Nina is creating above average temps for your part of the world
More to it than that it seems.
Big variations in the numbers of green christmases over the last 30 years compared to the 30 before that.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...kely-1.5856955
I think 2014-15 was the last dramatic winter here and I really can't remember the last time the ridge across the end of the drive had boulders of mostly ice that I couldn't shift.
We've had one or two officially 'green' christmases when there was a actually a blanket of snow covering everything and most people would probably describe it as white.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 1:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Should the thread be renamed or have a new 'winter' thread? Personally, I quite like dbd's description of summer.

I made an executive decision - new winter thread

Last edited by BristolUK; Dec 30th 2020 at 1:28 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 3:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Should the thread be renamed or have a new 'winter' thread? Personally, I quite like dbd's description of summer.

I made an executive decision - new winter thread
Halfway through the winter.. hmm I suppose so.. although that will mean losing all the comments from this winter already posted... ah well..
We had a white Christmas.. and it was -12c at 5am Christmas Day
Old Dec 30th 2020, 3:36 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Halfway through the winter.. hmm I suppose so.. although that will mean losing all the comments from this winter already posted... ah well..
We had a white Christmas.. and it was -12c at 5am Christmas Day
How about renaming it The Late Winter Thread
Technically, we're only about 10 days in aren't we?
Old Dec 30th 2020, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How about renaming it The Late Winter Thread
Technically, we're only about 10 days in aren't we?
First day of winter was December 21 and runs until March 20.

Old Dec 30th 2020, 6:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

• Astronomical winter begins at the winter solstice and ends at the spring equinox. Astronomical seasons are based on the position of Earth in relation to the Sun.
  • Meteorological winter (in the Northern Hemisphere) starts on December 1 and ends on February 28 (or 29). Meteorological seasons are based on the annual temperature cycle and climatological patterns observed on Earth.
I was thinking more of 'literal winter' - i.e. Winter in Canada usually starting around the end of October..
Old Dec 30th 2020, 7:53 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I was thinking more of 'literal winter' - i.e. Winter in Canada usually starting around the end of October..
I tend to think of it as January in England (and then it's done) and from last week of November here.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 8:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

May, June, July, August, although in places you can still get a good blizzard in May or at the end of August. Those are my picks for the 4 months of not winter. Got caught in a hell of a blizzard in Golden in July once, and it was crazy.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
May, June, July, August, although in places you can still get a good blizzard in May or at the end of August. Those are my picks for the 4 months of not winter. Got caught in a hell of a blizzard in Golden in July once, and it was crazy.
So. California I'd almost break it down into summer, and rainy season, wouldn't call what they get a winter...its just wetter and slightly cooler than summer. ha ha

Although May into June isn't so great, May gray leads to June gloom and all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.