Fort McMurray fires

Old May 5th 2016, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fort McMurray fires

OH's SIL went out of town heading North-ish (no choice), heading for the oil camps. We choose to assume she made it out, despite no news.
Old May 5th 2016, 9:52 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Touching.

Fort McMurray Wildfire: Syrian refugees in Calgary pitch in to help | Calgary Herald
Old May 5th 2016, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The animal side of things.

Fort McMurray Fire: Owners Forced To Leave Beloved Pets Behind
Old May 5th 2016, 11:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
What I couldn't understand is why the RCMP didn't reverse traffic on northbound Hwy 63. (a) you don't want people driving into a fire and (b) you don't want people sitting in a traffic jam during a fire.

I've been in a really bad disaster and that was SOP, reverse the traffic on the freeway so everyone can get out more quickly.

It looks absolutely appalling. It looks on TV exactly the same as the area around where I live, plus it's scorching here at the moment too. I can't help thinking all it would take is some dickhead neighbour to throw out a cigarette and poof, it would all go up in flame the same way.

Which has in fact happened a few blocks away in the past.

I think I'm going to go and look on realtor.ca for something made from brick...
A few months ago some nobjockey threw a cigarette butt out the window on the main (only).road out of where we live. Within minutes the median strip was a wall of flames about 3m high.
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am always amazed how fast pine trees go up in flames.

Those are some intense flames, really becomes total survival mode at that point, the alternative to risking those flames isn't a good one, but madness I would be scared to death.

I've been close to wildfires before, and on alert to leave, but never this close, I cannot imagine what its like for these folks.
Pine goes up quickly but you should see how eucalyptus burns! All that oil is like pouring fuel into the fire. There's also the flying embers that eucalyptus tree fires throw out.

Some friends of ours invited us to spend a few days with them over Christmas at the little cabin they had rented in the forest. While we were there I was thinking that if there was a fire we would be trapped. Less than 3 weeks later a fire started only a few hundred meters from the cabin that wiped out the town of Yarloop as well as the entire resort we were at. Two people died in that fire and hundreds of homes and businesses were lost.
Old May 5th 2016, 11:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
He has uploaded a few more videos here
It struck me how everyone was driving reasonably. Nobody speeding, not much weaving in and out...even letting vehicles join the procession.

Then I watched one of the others where cars were giving way to an oncoming fire-truck and other drivers decided to overtake those giving way and prevent the firetruck from proceeding.
Old May 5th 2016, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

eucalyptus is insane, we had a bunch behind the house I grew up in, in San Diego area and my great uncle used it to start his fireplace fires, insane how fast, hot and high the flame would be in the fireplace.

eucalyptus had been brought to the area as the folks of the time thought the wood would be useful as the trees grow so fast, of course its not very useful wood, and thus the trees became part of the landscape of the city, however they are a hazard in several ways in an urban setting.

Upside is the San Diego Zoo has lots of eucalyptus and provides it to other zoo's as well for Koalas.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A few months ago some nobjockey threw a cigarette butt out the window on the main (only).road out of where we live. Within minutes the median strip was a wall of flames about 3m high.

Pine goes up quickly but you should see how eucalyptus burns! All that oil is like pouring fuel into the fire. There's also the flying embers that eucalyptus tree fires throw out.

Some friends of ours invited us to spend a few days with them over Christmas at the little cabin they had rented in the forest. While we were there I was thinking that if there was a fire we would be trapped. Less than 3 weeks later a fire started only a few hundred meters from the cabin that wiped out the town of Yarloop as well as the entire resort we were at. Two people died in that fire and hundreds of homes and businesses were lost.
Old May 5th 2016, 11:35 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It struck me how everyone was driving reasonably. Nobody speeding, not much weaving in and out...even letting vehicles join the procession.

Then I watched one of the others where cars were giving way to an oncoming fire-truck and other drivers decided to overtake those giving way and prevent the firetruck from proceeding.
You can probably forgive people for driving etiquette faux pas. They might not have even noticed the fire engine until they'd pulled out.
Old May 6th 2016, 12:06 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As if on cue, I went out for a walk last evening and a couple of blocks down someone had managed to set their house on fire, I think it was a BBQ mishap. Calgary Fire Dept. put it out pretty quickly though.

It's so easy to have something catch fire when it's hot and dry. At the moment there's all the dead grass from winter still lying around.

It's too hot for this time of year, I mean 29 C on Tuesday was ridiculously hot and apparently it was 34 in Fort Mac.

Typically on Victoria Day I still have to wear a jacket outside.
Old May 6th 2016, 12:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As if on cue, I went out for a walk last evening and a couple of blocks down someone had managed to set their house on fire, I think it was a BBQ mishap. Calgary Fire Dept. put it out pretty quickly though.

It's so easy to have something catch fire when it's hot and dry. At the moment there's all the dead grass from winter still lying around.

It's too hot for this time of year, I mean 29 C on Tuesday was ridiculously hot and apparently it was 34 in Fort Mac.

Typically on Victoria Day I still have to wear a jacket outside.
Do you guys not have 'no fire/bbq' days/weeks/months? As soon as it is seen to be really dry and hot the state governments declare fire bans here (Aus). Still morons about the place obviously but hopefully less than would otherwise be.
Old May 6th 2016, 12:35 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

The fire truck appears to be parked, they're just going around it.

I like how the '91 Celica has been abandoned though.
Old May 6th 2016, 12:37 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Do you guys not have 'no fire/bbq' days/weeks/months? As soon as it is seen to be really dry and hot the state governments declare fire bans here (Aus). Still morons about the place obviously but hopefully less than would otherwise be.
Well, the Premier has been on TV warning about fire risks but there's no fire warning inside the city. Like I said, this is unprecedented. It was a record high the first three days of the week. Typical high this time of the year is around 17, it's not unusual to get snow.
Old May 6th 2016, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We do.
Old May 6th 2016, 1:00 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
These cats made it.
Old May 6th 2016, 1:13 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The fire truck appears to be parked, they're just going around it.
It's in a different video clip to the one embedded.

The truck waits and the guy filming it stops to let it move on. Then it moves forward only to stop because of the cars coming the other way. It's this one about 1.50 in.
Old May 6th 2016, 1:24 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Shirtback
We do.
In Alberta I do see fire risk signs up outside the city but I can't recall seeing an official one inside the city of Calgary. I remember seeing them when I lived in Ontario.

Sometimes the fire dept. comes on the news to warn people but that's about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.