Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Food we're going to miss

Food we're going to miss

Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food we're going to miss

Originally Posted by Edo
For tea, you can find PG Tips at Sobey's. For a price. But unfortunately there is no Sobey's in Vancouver. However, Save On Foods has recently enhanced their British offerings in a special isle marked as Tesco (guess the king of creative accounting will be supplying all the good stuff to British Columbians through Save On). I hope its not too long until they start shelving some PG Tips in there.

You're behind the times ............ Sobeys bought Safeway a couple of years ago, and we are now being forced to buy what Sobeys thinks we should not our accustomed Safeway.

As far as the OP is concerned ...................

I'm not sure what you're worrying about!

Yes, most supermarkets sell American style bacon .................. so buy from a butcher!

I know of the following ..........

Jackson Meats on 4th Avenue sells better bacon, also sell haggis, black pudding, lovely sausages, etc

Or there is a fantastic butcher on Granville Island, where you can buy all kinds of bacon, European-style as well as British

Windsor Meats, Mackenzie Street

Remember that the water can affect the taste of tea ......... I've seen complaints on this site that such-and-such a tea doesn't taste like home! You may find better teas than PG
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

A good cup of tea (Amazon to the rescue?)
Unsweetened bread (buy a breadmaker?)
Brown sauce
Baked beans
I can take or leave marmite
I'm taking my coffee bean to cup machine (and a step down power thingumy)
European style chocolate?
European style bacon
A good whisky (but checking out the whisky thread)
I know from previous visits that beer isn't going to be an issue.

I've lived in Vancouver for almost 50 years, and know most places around, but one thing I have never done is miss British food, except for good bacon ....... and I've given you some hints in my post above.

Just what is "brown sauce"? Does it differ from HP or Lea & Perrins??

One reference tells me that it is similar to Steak Sauce in the US

Baked beans ....... Heinz readily available

European-style chocolate .............. artisan chocolatiers abound in Vancouver. I'm sure you'll find a locally made alternative

Good whisky ........... depends on what you call a good whisky. My OH seems to find some excellent whiskies at the local liquor store. Try the Specialty Liquor Store on Cambie Street ..... you'll pay, but what the heck!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NealAndMel
Hello folks !
First post, treat me gentle.

We've got our one way flight booked to Vancouver in May armed with PR and looking forward to fun and frolics in our new life. Have lived our whole life in London (we're fast approaching 50) so looking forward to having a go at it in a new and different city (and weekend skiing Whoop Whoop )

Very interested in peoples personal experience of those foods from home that they miss? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere but I can't find it with the search.

We mainly cook fresh from scratch, so broadly the same meat,fish and veg (better steak & fish?) and am sure we can buy the necessary curry spices. Looking forward to trying the different veg varieties that will be around.

Expecting to miss:
A good cup of tea (Amazon to the rescue?)
Unsweetened bread (buy a breadmaker?)
Brown sauce
Baked beans
I can take or leave marmite
I'm taking my coffee bean to cup machine (and a step down power thingumy)
European style chocolate?
European style bacon
A good whisky (but checking out the whisky thread)
I know from previous visits that beer isn't going to be an issue.

What else in your collective wealth of experience?

Most of what you have stated above is available in your local British shop...or as you say Amazon, so you shouldn't miss out too much. Even some stores like Walmart have a British selection and sell chocolate, tea and biscuits and cakes etc.

Bacon is an issue....I do miss British bacon.

Whisky not an issue...the liquor store stock a good selection of Scotches... I quite like some of the Canadian rye whiskys (usually with mixer) ...waaay better than the majority of American bourbon. urgh!

Beer....ahh sigh.... personally I do miss the UK for that, I was always a big real ale/cask ale fan in the UK, not really much of that here...however it is starting to get more popular, Canadian's beer tastes have changed since I have lived here..coming up to 9 years, so I think cask ale will become more popular.

But as some have said in other posts, what you miss from the UK you can make up for with what you never had as much access to in the UK....or simply never tried...namely restaurants offering cuisine from differing nationalities.

Also....beef its a lot cheaper too, so I enjoy a nice steak a lot more regular than I did in the UK.

I also miss British Chinese and British Indian food...but this depends where you live, some places are better than others for this.

I think whatever you lose/miss from the UK, you gain in another way in Canada.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Feb 6th 2018 at 8:42 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:58 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
You're behind the times ............ Sobeys bought Safeway a couple of years ago, and we are now being forced to buy what Sobeys thinks we should not our accustomed Safeway.
I am not jealous that of all the places you have to do your grocery from Safeway.

However, I don't mind their beautiful soft moist muffins. And I will go there to get my PG Tips if Sobey's do decide to roll out their fine line of British food similar to what they sell in eastern Canada.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

I forgot cheeses ................

blue cheeses available in many stores

Try Whole Foods on 4th Avenue for more specialty ones ...... they're pricey though.

There are also specialty cheese stores around, eg Benton Brothers on 41 st Avenue (but very pricey!), Whole Foods again ........ and there is always Granville Island Market.

In fact .......... it sounds as though you should make a regular visit to Granville Island

BTW ......... you can also buy things such as Branston Pickle, Heinz Salad Dressing, Roses Lime Juice, Robertsons Jams and Marmalades and such things from the local supermarket (Safeway in my case)

Last edited by scilly; Feb 6th 2018 at 9:04 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Edo
I am not jealous that of all the places you have to do your grocery from Safeway.

However, I don't mind their beautiful soft moist muffins. And I will go there to get my PG Tips if Sobey's do decide to roll out their fine line of British food similar to what they sell in eastern Canada.

I must have been out of the UK for too long.

I've never even noticed their "fine line" on my very regular visits to NS and Sobeys!

I've always thought of them as el cheapo store, not worth going in ........... and what they're making us buy here is not changing my attitude to them!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Save On does a Tescos range, at least in North Van.

In North Vancouver there are also a couple of British shops.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the food you'll miss, it's the people to eat it with.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Might as well add in Canadian foods you might actually love

Nanaimo Bars, Poutine, Timbits, Tortierre, Beaver Tails, Bannock, Moose, Caribou, Pickrel etc etc

Now depending where you might have travelled to or ethnic foods you may have tried have you ever tried Perogies, Cabbage Rolls, Kielbasa. You will find in most major cities Ethnic grocery stores that sell food from all over the world so I wouldn't get hung up on what you will miss but looking forward to trying new things.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Might as well add in Canadian foods you might actually love

Nanaimo Bars, Poutine, Timbits, Tortierre, Beaver Tails, Bannock, Moose, Caribou, Pickrel etc etc

Now depending where you might have travelled to or ethnic foods you may have tried have you ever tried Perogies, Cabbage Rolls, Kielbasa. You will find in most major cities Ethnic grocery stores that sell food from all over the world so I wouldn't get hung up on what you will miss but looking forward to trying new things.
I could live for the rest of my life and never have poutine again and I'd be fine with that. Now don't let me go the rest of my days without shawarma which is a big thing here in Ottawa.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I could live for the rest of my life and never have poutine again and I'd be fine with that. Now don't let me go the rest of my days without shawarma which is a big thing here in Ottawa.
I can just imagine the average Brit from the UK having just arrived and asked do they fancy some Poutine?
What is it they say?
Its french fries but you know them better as chips
OK that sounds good so far
Then you pour gravy over the fries
Im still ok with that
Then you add cheese curds
WTF
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I can just imagine the average Brit from the UK having just arrived and asked do they fancy some Poutine?
What is it they say?
Im still ok with that
WTF
Yeah, the squeaky cheap cheese is the killer for me..plus I"m not a big fan of gravy on fries.....

Basically an inebriated state of mind makes it seem more reasonable.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What is it they say?
Im still ok with that
WTF
Poutine available in the UK these days. Well, London.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

I did a thorough explore of supermarkets in Vancouver at Christmas in anticipation of my move. I've lived in the UK for a spell and go there regularly on business (staying with friends and living a more "normal" rather than business traveller life when I'm there) so have some understanding of the OP's concerns.

On the supermarket front, between IGA, Whole Foods and Save-On, and then on the specialty front at Granville Island, I could find basically everything we have back in Australia (including the English recipe Heinz baked beans, which is what I eat in Australia). One thing I think I noticed that had improved from previous visits to Vancouver was that unsweetened bread that tasted just like home or in the UK was readily available (particularly at Whole Foods). We also really liked the "Squirrely bread" which was a kind of granary loaf and which didn't taste too sweet to us.

One thing my (Canadian) husband was not happy about was the peanut butter. He reckons it is now different to what he had growing up in Canada. The "natural" varieties had varying weird consistencies and tastes, and the Skippy variety tasted way too sweet. I can see that we will be asking visitors to bring jars of Australian Kraft peanut butter as their gift to their hosts...

I've read a lot about cheese in Canada on BE. Again, between the supermarkets and Granville Island, I was able to reproduce most cheese tastes with which I'm familiar. This is in contrast to the place south of the 49th parallel, where I had a very unsatisfactory cheese experience trying to make cauliflower cheese for some friends last November (I got there in the end, but the cheese situation there is horrifying).
Old Feb 6th 2018, 11:29 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

As I said don’t forget about Cost-co. I find Granville Island expensive for everything except the tea (Granville Island Tea Company) - big fan of them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.