Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Food for thought for some older members on here

Food for thought for some older members on here

Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:49 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food for thought for some older members on here

Originally Posted by R I C H
Don't do it for me, do it for your own enrichment
Fair enough then
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
wtf is that?
I believe it's meant to be condescending. Which reminds me. ...

Last week I was down by one of the prisons here and saw a midget inmate climbing down over the wall. I looked at him and he just sneered back at me. Well, I thought that's a little condescending!
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow
When i first joined this site got some great info from some great people, however things seem to have gone downhill.

recently if i have disagreed with any of the older members of this site, it seems to turn into some sort of pissing match to prove newer members are wrong.

My experience of this:

Tried to highlight an issue with an ETA - just to help anyone else out if they end up in the same situation, have had to state multiple times that we were not in the wrong, as suggested by older members

Suggested that its not quite as easy to lease a car these days, snide comments follow that this wasn't other peoples experience. Fair enough, but if your experience was 5yrs ago maybe things have changed since then......maybe sometimes newer members who have just experienced these things might know better,

And lastly....and maybe the most important one.... god forbid saying you enjoy vancouver. FFS expect a repeat of "you don't know what your talking about", "vancouver is awful" "that will soon wear off".

So as such I'm not positing any new threads on here and just wanted to thank those of you who helped me when i started out, however this site has got very bitter and quite frankly i feel sorry for people who's dream it is to move to vancouver and come on here, its one thing to give a balanced opinion and another to just shoot people down

Thanks guys,
Good luck to all of you making the move
I thought you were a Canadian living in Gasgow?

Anyway, I'd suggest looking at living in Canada from a case study analysis. Its mainly a qualitative experience that given enough evidence you can produce generalities but its never a totality and uniformity of experience. Granted on here we tend to use totalizing language but that’s to be expected. Using an example of a fishing trip. If you don’t catch anything in the first couple of hours its complete shit, then you land three in a row and its brilliant and then the last few hours its boring but lovely scenery. Humans are imperfective when describing experience away from formal academic constrains.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

lmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Allow me to present a vintage Vancouver mocking thread, just to show there's nothing new on the theme:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...nt-get-759654/
Boy d! Classic.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I thought you were a Canadian living in Gasgow?

Anyway, I'd suggest looking at living in Canada from a case study analysis. Its mainly a qualitative experience that given enough evidence you can produce generalities but its never a totality and uniformity of experience. Granted on here we tend to use totalizing language but that’s to be expected. Using an example of a fishing trip. If you don’t catch anything in the first couple of hours its complete shit, then you land three in a row and its brilliant and then the last few hours its boring but lovely scenery. Humans are imperfective when describing experience away from formal academic constrains.
Fair point, eloquently put.

I was when i signed up here, i moved to vancouver.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin1000
Boy d! Classic.

Brilliant stuff. He's sorely missed.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

When i first joined this site got some great info from some great people, however things seem to have gone downhill.

recently if i have disagreed with any of the older members of this site, it seems to turn into some sort of pissing match to prove newer members are wrong.

My experience of this:

Tried to highlight an issue with an ETA - just to help anyone else out if they end up in the same situation, have had to state multiple times that we were not in the wrong, as suggested by older members

Suggested that its not quite as easy to lease a car these days, snide comments follow that this wasn't other peoples experience. Fair enough, but if your experience was 5yrs ago maybe things have changed since then......maybe sometimes newer members who have just experienced these things might know better,

And lastly....and maybe the most important one.... god forbid saying you enjoy vancouver. FFS expect a repeat of "you don't know what your talking about", "vancouver is awful" "that will soon wear off".

So as such I'm not positing any new threads on here and just wanted to thank those of you who helped me when i started out, however this site has got very bitter and quite frankly i feel sorry for people who's dream it is to move to vancouver and come on here, its one thing to give a balanced opinion and another to just shoot people down

Thanks guys,
Good luck to all of you making the move
I'm sorry that you are feeling that way but I feel that you are being somewhat dismissive of the many people who have experience and who have offered excellent help and advice on many of the questions you have asked.

What you should remember, is that many times people are given incorrect information and in order to assist with the correct info, full details are required. In regards to the question of ETA you mentioned several times "visa" when in fact you were talking about a work permit. Advice given can only be based on the information provided!

Regarding the leasing of a vehicle, many of the banks will give car loans to temporary workers. It also helps if you bring proof of your financial stability - a report from Equifax, letters of good standing from previous banks/mortgage holders/landlords etc., all of which help to show that you are fiscally responsible. These are also useful if you plan on obtaining a mortgage at any time.

You should also bear in mind that things are not the same for all people! Some find it easy to get a car loan or whatever, perhaps because they have a good customer service manager at the bank, whilst other struggle.

The same goes for life experiences in any place in Canada. Ask someone about "Hamilton" and you will get a mixed bag of responses, with some saying it's a filthy hole and others (like me) saying it's great! To each their own...

We don't all have to agree..

Giving your opinion or your experiences as an example is always good, but other people who have had a different experience are also free to post theirs - it's called a balanced view.

Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:05 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
You are the one that keeps going on about it, not me. I couldn't care less if you had me on ignore.

I've taken the ignore off for you for now but if you want I'm happy to put it back on again.
Never have bothered to put anyone on ignore. Once it gets to that stage, it is far too amusing to miss anything. Those are the most entertaining posters, when folks get their panties in a knot over nothing. Some just set themselves up!

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 10th 2017 at 12:10 am.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

never had that attitude, just gave my experience on situations.... just to be jumped on and told I'm wrong.

Sorry but i wouldn't treat people like that.

But go ahead and tell me I'm wrong again.......thats not just ironic its hilarious
I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I'm sorry that you are feeling that way but I feel that you are being somewhat dismissive of the many people who have experience and who have offered excellent help and advice on many of the questions you have asked.

What you should remember, is that many times people are given incorrect information and in order to assist with the correct info, full details are required. In regards to the question of ETA you mentioned several times "visa" when in fact you were talking about a work permit. Advice given can only be based on the information provided!

Regarding the leasing of a vehicle, many of the banks will give car loans to temporary workers. It also helps if you bring proof of your financial stability - a report from Equifax, letters of good standing from previous banks/mortgage holders/landlords etc., all of which help to show that you are fiscally responsible. These are also useful if you plan on obtaining a mortgage at any time.

You should also bear in mind that things are not the same for all people! Some find it easy to get a car loan or whatever, perhaps because they have a good customer service manager at the bank, whilst other struggle.

The same goes for life experiences in any place in Canada. Ask someone about "Hamilton" and you will get a mixed bag of responses, with some saying it's a filthy hole and others (like me) saying it's great! To each their own...

We don't all have to agree..

Giving your opinion or your experiences as an example is always good, but other people who have had a different experience are also free to post theirs - it's called a balanced view.

I agree with some of what you are saying, and your completely correct regrading the use of the word visa rather than permit. However, after that was cleared up still being told I'm wrong.... when this is not the case, and if we follow that advice we would be applying for a new eta every flight. Take on board what your saying regarding car finance, simply wasn't my experience and we followed all the advice on here regarding financing, i just felt it pertinent not to give the OP of that post false hope that they would walk into a car lot and simply get a lease at the drop of a hat. Wasn't saying anyone else was wrong, just 6 months ago that was not the case for us.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You both are just making my point for me. Been quite clear that i have no problem with disagreeing about points, just have no time for ganging up, snide comments, and generally shitty attitude of some long term members here .... when i simply give my opinion
You have an issue with people giving you their opinion, disagreeing with you and making 'snide comment's, but then proceed to do exactly the same on a whole thread about other people's attitude. You may not see the irony in that, but I certainly do.

People will disagree with you, it's an open forum, and nothing that you've seen is anything new. BE is a community, think of it as a pub where you'll get the 'regulars', and the people that just pop in for an occasional pint, and where people disagree with each other and get along too. You've only got to look at the thread about Oakvillian's recent news to see the support that this forum gives to members (I've seen it time and time again over the years, but that's just a recent example), it's a shame that you're focusing on a few negative posts rather than seeing the bigger picture.

As Siouxie has said, the thread about the ETA wasn't anything personal and I've no idea why you've taken it like that, people were simply correcting your 'visa' terminology, and I'd point out that you also hadn't mentioned when your OP got his IEC to start with, so we had no idea it was a recently issued one and therefore would have had the ETA with it. You can't blame them for trying to clarify.

It's great that you like Vancouver, so do I FWIW, and lots of others do too. There are plenty of posts with positive praise for the city, but you seem to be ignoring those and focusing on those that are most negative. Look at the whole picture, and all the posts, not just a few who are from people that don't like living there. Again, think of the pub - not everybody will be happy with where they're living, and they're perfectly entitled to express that opinion.

This thread serves no purpose other than to let you have a rant at longer term members (most of whom have given endless help and support to people over the years, including newbies), so I'm tempted to close it but will leave it for a while - if it goes downhill then a mod will close it though. For future reference, if you have an issue with a post that somebody has made, then use the report button, that's what it's there for rather than starting a thread about other people's posts.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 10th 2017 at 8:38 am.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit the OP has a point with the general 'culture' of the forum at times. People can reply with snide comments and smart arse remarks that are in most cases not required. As with most things on the internet I often think that people wouldn't present themselves in such a rude and hostile way if they were face to face so why do it on the internet. We're all just people and most don't know each other personally, so why make efforts to antagonise or stress a stranger out. A stranger who is often only here asking for help.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I must admit the OP has a point with the general 'culture' of the forum at times. People can reply with snide comments and smart arse remarks that are in most cases not required. As with most things on the internet I often think that people wouldn't present themselves in such a rude and hostile way if they were face to face so why do it on the internet. We're all just people and most don't know each other personally, so why make efforts to antagonise or stress a stranger out. A stranger who is often only here asking for help.
I think it generally depends on the attitude of the person posting, we reap what we sow. I don't think the OP has been subject to any rudeness or snarkiness personally, although I've not delved back through all of the posting history. But I have seen people be sarcastic and smart arse with newbies, rarely though and usually in response to a 'toys out of pram' moment or rudeness to those that have tried to help them.

As you know, if somebody is unwelcoming to a newbie for no reason, we will generally have a word or delete it, comments like those won't be tolerated and we do want the forum to be welcoming. But similarly, newbies are often urged to actually read the sticky threads on forum 'netiquette' first if they're about to rub people up the wrong way and need to realise that if they're snappy or rude, that's generally what they'll get back in response.

Believe it or not, it's got a huge amount better in the past few years. There used to be a lot of members that were really rude to newbies and had a 'clique' going, they were tough to deal with. Thankfully though, they've drifted away (or been banned) and it's a much nicer place to be these days.

It's still like being Kofi Annan sometimes though.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 10th 2017 at 12:25 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Never have bothered to put anyone on ignore. Once it gets to that stage, it is far too amusing to miss anything. Those are the most entertaining posters, when folks get their panties in a knot over nothing. Some just set themselves up!
I completely agree with this. It's easy enough to simply not read posts from members that you don't get along with.

On this thread, I think the OP is making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting given the number of messages in my inbox from newer members feeling that exact same way as myself.
But then again im entitled to my opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.