British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Food likes and dislikes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/food-likes-dislikes-424693/)

Mountain Girl Feb 7th 2007 2:55 am

Food likes and dislikes

ok so I am really bored, nothing on the tele......... not in the mood for reading a book and cant go and exercise cause of my knee.

so what food do you really like or hate......

Here's mine =

Hate
1.Dates. those horrible nasty little things that come out at Christmas and look like dog ticks. They should never have been invented.

2. Fish with its head still on. I don't like it when its looking at me, even if its dead. (Closet Veggie)

3. Carpaccio. Yuuuukkkkkkkk cant stand anything that's too rare. My OH love's it the rarer the better. Last weekend he had lamb that was so rare it looked like it was going to leap off the plate.

4. Bacon. All the veins yuuuuukkkk.

Love
1.Creme Brule. mmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

2. Garlic and lots of it.

3. Spicy food. The spicier the better.

4. Dolcelatte.

actually I like a lot of foods so the list could be a lot longer. ;)

kate white Feb 7th 2007 8:58 am

Re: Food likes and dislikes

:thumbup: love my morning breakfast
saucage -bacon-eggs-potato scones and mushrooms

home made soup made with ham ribbs

a curry or chinese

pig out on grilled pork ribbs around 9pm (some nights)

dislikes

small prawns YUK

black pudding

haggis

sprouts

I will try most things being the pig I am:D

Butch Cassidy Feb 7th 2007 9:19 am

Ok First five that come to mind in each Category.

Perogies, Haggis, Black Pudding, Steak and Kidney Pudding (NOT PIE), Blue Steak.

Dislikes
Red Meat that is no longer Red, Sprouts, Cauliflower, Brocolli, Tuna

kate white Feb 7th 2007 9:30 am

:confused: whats perogies!my aunt wants to make them for me and swears by them.but hubby said they were horrid,but does not know what they are made of:blink:

Butch Cassidy Feb 7th 2007 9:44 am

Originally Posted by kate white (Post 4373717)
:confused: whats perogies!my aunt wants to make them for me and swears by them.but hubby said they were horrid,but does not know what they are made of:blink:

I assume Hubby has eaten them?
Simplest way to describe would be pastry parcels filled with potato and some other item (usually although I recently heard of blueberry ones???) then boiled or fried. Savoury ones are often served with sour cream and bacon bits.

kate white Feb 7th 2007 10:11 am

:) would have to try them,dont sound that good.yeah James went over to toronto 2 years ago to help out my cousin with some work and my aunt made them for him,he said he would never eat them again and that I was to eat most,cos cant make her feel we dont like her food(just like a man)ha-ha:

Arris Feb 7th 2007 12:28 pm

Ok, here we go - found this a hard one as like most food......... & dislike very little :o

Roast Beef (especially with all the trimings) + red wine
A good curry of course + a crisp cold Stella or Tiger Beer!!!
Salmon - cooked anyway
Home made bugers on the BBQ in the summer + large amounts of chilled booze
I also love runny boiled eggs with soldiers

Dislikes
Oysters - IMO seem snotty & tasteless to me
Tongue
Tripe
Artichokes

Mountain Girl Feb 7th 2007 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Arris (Post 4374145)
Dislikes
Tongue
Tripe

Have to agree with those two they are up there with chickens feet, couldnt bring my self to chew on a chickens toe.....:eek:

dbd33 Feb 7th 2007 2:49 pm

Once I get started with food I have trouble stopping...

Like:

pulled pork
naan bread
beef wellington
barbecued corn
Callier chocolate
cheese
wine
beer
most anything that's still bleeding a bit
curries, lately fish curry
tandoori anything
Mulligatawny soup
fish and chips
lamb marinated in yoghurt and barbecued
gefilter fish
Buffalo wings
fresh eggs
raw milk
stuffed hearts
Sausages in buns from vendors on street corners
Idli
cheese grits
oily fishes on the barbecue; tuna, shark, etc.
mussels

Dislike:

broccoli soup
processed cheese
bubble tea
Coke
2% milk
plain grits
sushi
jellied eels

welshchem Feb 7th 2007 3:09 pm

As an addition to the food likes and dislikes thread, how about noting where you get the things you like?

The Grande cheese shop has great jars or mushrooms preserved in flavoured oil that taste great with pasta.

The one thing I'm really missing from home is the great british banger, the italian and german style sausages aren't really the same. Anyone know of a good butcher in the GTA? Preferably somewhere in Richmond Hill for hangover fry up emergencies.

dbd33 Feb 7th 2007 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by welshchem (Post 4374590)
As an addition to the food likes and dislikes thread, how about noting where you get the things you like?

The Grande cheese shop has great jars or mushrooms preserved in flavoured oil that taste great with pasta.

The one thing I'm really missing from home is the great british banger, the italian and german style sausages aren't really the same. Anyone know of a good butcher in the GTA? Preferably somewhere in Richmond Hill for hangover fry up emergencies.

We get most of our raw food, including sausages, at the St. Lawrence Market, except for cow parts which come from here: http://www.pvrbeef.ca/

We get the Indian food in Little India either from restaurants or from the BJ Supermarket.

Steve_P Feb 7th 2007 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 4373753)
I assume Hubby has eaten them?
Simplest way to describe would be pastry parcels filled with potato and some other item (usually although I recently heard of blueberry ones???) then boiled or fried. Savoury ones are often served with sour cream and bacon bits.

Sort of like eating a handful of wet flour with sour cream to add some flavour.:p

grumpy Feb 7th 2007 3:32 pm

Haven't we done this before......it's getting like Big Brother on this site. The few times I do visit the same old people are here, discussing the same old same old........
yawnyawnyawn :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: ...think I'll go watch my paint dry........

Linda P Feb 7th 2007 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 4374657)
Haven't we done this before......it's getting like Big Brother on this site. The few times I do visit the same old people are here, discussing the same old same old........
yawnyawnyawn :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: ...think I'll go watch my paint dry........

I guess you picked the right name for yourself :thumbup:

Butch Cassidy Feb 7th 2007 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 4374657)
think I'll go watch my paint dry........

What colour is it??? ;)