Foibles or OCD???

Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:38 am
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of
Default Foibles or OCD???

It has just struck me whilst conducting ablutions this morning....that many people have different routines and oddities that they always do.

Mine is I never leave the tap running when I brush my teeth, just turn on and off as required.

So, are tidy cupboards where the Salt and Pepper have a cross on the spot where they belong a foible or is it OCD....what is strange about a routine like that. Is it in fact strange or just good practice?

Does anyone else have little things they do? Does anyone do things to annoy other people who have little routines which if not followed would upset them for the day?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foibles or OCD???

Turning off the tap saves wasting water and also saves money when your water is metered as it is here ... that's being environmentally conscious and sensible.

Marking the salt and pepper pots spaces in the cupboard with an X? Well that's plain weird. Definitely OCD!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harrypottermouse
tidy cupboards where the Salt and Pepper have a cross on the spot where they belong
You would need therapy...or valium...or both if you had to live with my kitchen cupboards
Old Jun 26th 2008, 7:04 am
Account Closed

saskia65 has a spectacular aura aboutsaskia65 has a spectacular aura aboutsaskia65 has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone do things to annoy other people who have little routines which if not followed would upset them for the day?
I post on BE.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sas x
Old Jun 26th 2008, 7:04 am
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
You would need therapy...or valium...or both if you had to live with my kitchen cupboards
So is that X marks the spot or Chaos United...
Old Jun 26th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

So is that X marks the spot or Chaos United...
You wouldn't be able to see an X in my cupboards. Too much chaos
Old Jun 26th 2008, 7:14 am
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
You wouldn't be able to see an X in my cupboards. Too much chaos
Me too - thrive on it - makes life interesting
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:44 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

So, are tidy cupboards where the Salt and Pepper have a cross on the spot where they belong a foible or is it OCD....what is strange about a routine like that. Is it in fact strange or just good practice?
I think you cross into scary OCD territory when you worry if their not on the Xs when you're out of the house.

Personally, my filing/organising system only goes as far as remembering where I last left something.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

It has just struck me whilst conducting ablutions this morning....that many people have different routines and oddities that they always do.

Mine is I never leave the tap running when I brush my teeth, just turn on and off as required.

Does anyone else have little things they do? Does anyone do things to annoy other people who have little routines which if not followed would upset them for the day?
Hmmmmm I hate to admit it, but I think I might cross a little into OCD territory. I have to check locks, 2 or three times. My husband thinks I am obsessed with making sure the house/car is locked.

It is getting better with age, but generally I am a little strange.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:23 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Originally Posted by smelly
Hmmmmm I hate to admit it, but I think I might cross a little into OCD territory. I have to check locks, 2 or three times. My husband thinks I am obsessed with making sure the house/car is locked.

I think this is why it came to me this morning, I figured that I couldn't be alone in the world thinking that a lot of people would do something which seems perfectly normal to them, but in another's eyes would be like chopping off your hand with a tooth pick or something equally as weird.

But the other thing I genuinely don't understand is when does something become an obsession, or a compulsion or both?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is why it came to me this morning, I figured that I couldn't be alone in the world thinking that a lot of people would do something which seems perfectly normal to them, but in another's eyes would be like chopping off your hand with a tooth pick or something equally as weird.

But the other thing I genuinely don't understand is when does something become an obsession, or a compulsion or both?
I think it can be something to do with stress or anxiety, stemming from life events. Some one can attempt to ignore or surpress these thoughts by an action or impulse.

When I used to live in London, I was stressed with general stuff going on and I used to obsess about it more.

But since coming to Canada . I am RELAXED !
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:50 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

I think it can be something to do with stress or anxiety, stemming from life events. Some one can attempt to ignore or surpress these thoughts by an action or impulse.

When I used to live in London, I was stressed with general stuff going on and I used to obsess about it more.

But since coming to Canada . I am RELAXED !
Thanks for that insight Smelly - I think it is a very underestimated condition when sufferers are in the thick of it.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:01 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I do that too.

I cannot function without having a handkerchief in my pocket, even when I'm wearing swimming trunks.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:11 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I do that too.

I cannot function without having a handkerchief in my pocket, even when I'm wearing swimming trunks.
Souv c'mon at least bolster your ego with a pair of socks - a hankie is just not cutting the mustard

My particular foible is that after washing up I cannot bear to see soap suds in the sink - it has to be clean! (yet can have a pile of washing in the bathroom for weeks - go figure)
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Souv c'mon at least bolster your ego with a pair of socks - a hankie is just not cutting the mustard

My particular foible is that after washing up I cannot bear to see soap suds in the sink - it has to be clean! (yet can have a pile of washing in the bathroom for weeks - go figure)
That brings me to another one. Loading the dishwasher properly. I will unload it and re-load it, if Souvette hasn't done it according to my rules.

Patting the last bag of groceries put into the trunk. I have no idea why I do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.