Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Flying with children, advise please

Flying with children, advise please

Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:50 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying with children, advise please

I will be collecting my grandchildren from the UK this summer keeping them for the holidays, then taking them back. This year I get them all to my self, Mum's are staying at home. The children will be 7,8, and 10 when they make the trip. I have looked at the seat formation on the flights and they are 3-3-3 for the most part but at the rear of the aircraft there are rows of 2's. I wondered if it is OK for the youngest to sit with me and the older 2 to sit together in the seat in front. I just didnt know if this seating arrangement would be acceptable to the airline, or if it would be seen as a safety issue, I did call the airline and some very young guy said "Oh yeah it will be fine" but some how he just didnt fill me with confidence. I have emailed them, thought it would be good to get a response in writing, but so far no reply.

Has anyone else flown solo with 3 children and split them self's up this way?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying with children, advise please

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique View Post
I will be collecting my grandchildren from the UK this summer keeping them for the holidays, then taking them back. This year I get them all to my self, Mum's are staying at home. The children will be 7,8, and 10 when they make the trip. I have looked at the seat formation on the flights and they are 3-3-3 for the most part but at the rear of the aircraft there are rows of 2's. I wondered if it is OK for the youngest to sit with me and the older 2 to sit together in the seat in front. I just didnt know if this seating arrangement would be acceptable to the airline, or if it would be seen as a safety issue, I did call the airline and some very young guy said "Oh yeah it will be fine" but some how he just didnt fill me with confidence. I have emailed them, thought it would be good to get a response in writing, but so far no reply.

How exciting!

If you can get a flight that uses the A330-300 they have 4 seats in the middle in economy.

As to flying in a 2-2 configuration, make sure you book the seats in advance so as to ensure you get them. My son used to fly at 6 on his own (with a flight mum in charge of up to 10 kids age 6-15) and it isn't a problem at all.

Air Transat have unaccompanied minors (VIP service) and children from 12 can fly alone so they won't object to accompanied ones.

They have a family service too for help with travelling with children: http://www.airtransat.ca/en-CA/Trave...Family-program

You should register them with Air Transat Kids Club! http://www.airtransat.com/en/kids_club/about.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 24th 2014 at 8:07 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
How exciting!

If you can get a flight that uses the A330-300 they have 4 seats in the middle in economy.

As to flying in a 2-2 configuration, make sure you book the seats in advance so as to ensure you get them. My son used to fly at 6 on his own (with a flight mum in charge of up to 10 kids age 6-15) and it isn't a problem at all.

Thanks Siouxie, they dont seem to offering the A330-300 on the flights I was looking at, although they often change the planes from the one you think you have booked. I would definately pre book seats to be certain of getting what I want.

It is very exciting, no mum's to tell us what we can or cannot do
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the best idea would be to put the three kids in one row, and position yourself in another row....
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:20 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m View Post
Surely the best idea would be to put the three kids in one row, and position yourself in another row....
Upgrade yourself!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I seriously know one couple who regularly travel on a different flight to their kids. They book the kids as unaccompanied minors ( think they might have to pay for the service), say the kids get treated like royalty with their own special person to look after them.

Meanwhile Mom and Dad travel in comfort on their own!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell View Post
I seriously know one couple who regularly travel on a different flight to their kids. They book the kids as unaccompanied minors ( think they might have to pay for the service), say the kids get treated like royalty with their own special person to look after them.

Meanwhile Mom and Dad travel in comfort on their own!
Thats given me something to think about, I could book the kids into the back of the plane to wreak havoc while I sip on G&T up front.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I will be collecting my grandchildren from the UK this summer keeping them for the holidays, then taking them back. This year I get them all to my self, Mum's are staying at home. The children will be 7,8, and 10 when they make the trip. (...)
Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
How exciting!
It is very exciting, no mum's to tell us what we can or cannot do
I feel quite faint at the very thought of such a trip !! Hats' off & Kudos to you for even thinking about it, let alone doing it !!

Seriously, The 2-2 seat configuration is a great idea; allows for various permutations of participants as & when they annoy/get bored of each other The airline, believe me, will do its utmost to accommodate you & your grand kids.

(If I ever had to fly with under 10s again, I'd be seriously tempted by the UM option, with me in Z class, or on another flight... !)

S
Old Apr 26th 2014, 1:38 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback View Post
I feel quite faint at the very thought of such a trip !! Hats' off & Kudos to you for even thinking about it, let alone doing it !!

Seriously, The 2-2 seat configuration is a great idea; allows for various permutations of participants as & when they annoy/get bored of each other The airline, believe me, will do its utmost to accommodate you & your grand kids.

(If I ever had to fly with under 10s again, I'd be seriously tempted by the UM option, with me in Z class, or on another flight... !)

S
Wish my Mum would take the kids for 3 weeks; in fact any time would be great!
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:09 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

My parents used to take my kids to their place on Spain for the whole of the Uk Summer Hols. I'd fly out for the last week and bring them home !