Wikiposts

Flu shots

Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flu shots

Have you had the flu shot yet?

For the last 2 years we seem to have be living in a sort of twilight zone...we are visitors to Canada. We are here on the Super Visa whilst our PR is being processed...which means no ITN/TIN number or whatever it's called...we pay Canadian taxes but don't seem to have any status. I'm not whining about that...but something so basic as getting the flu shot has me tearing my hair out.

We normally jump the border and get the flu shot in the US...but for various reasons I tried to get the shot in Toronto. Called several doctor's/pharmacies and was refused. The public health dept said there was no reason to be refused...in other words I hit a brick wall.

Then this afternoon my 17 month old granddaughter started coughing, wheezing, with hives around her month. My daughter whisked her downstairs to the doctor's office located in the next building. The doctor confirmed it was a nut allergy and wrote several scripts. On the upside...if there is an upside...I asked the nurse if I could get a flu shot as I don't have a healthcare card. $80 later we left...my granddaughter happy as usual and me with a band aid/plaster on my arm.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 21st 2015 at 6:37 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu shots

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

For the last 2 years we seem to have be living in a sort of twilight zone...we are temporary residents to Canada. We are here on the Super Visa whilst our PR is being processed...which means no ITN/TIN number or whatever it's called...we pay Canadian taxes but don't seem to have any status. I'm not whining about that...but something so basic as getting the flu shot has me tearing my hair out.

We normally jump the border and get the flu shot in the US...but for various reasons I tried to get the shot in Toronto. Called several doctor's/pharmacies and was refused. The public health dept said there was no reason to be refused...in other words I hit a brick wall.

Then this afternoon my 17 month old granddaughter started coughing, wheezing, with hives around her month. My daughter whisked her downstairs to the doctor's office located in the next building. The doctor confirmed it was a nut allergy and wrote several scripts. On the upside...if there is an upside...I asked the nurse if I could get a flu shot as I don't have a healthcare card. $80 later we left...my granddaughter happy as usual and me with a band aid/plaster on my arm.
I think there's another thread about this somewhere as well..

Sorry to hear about your grand daughter! How frightening that must have been for all of you. Hope she is ok now.

With regards to the flu-shot - Shoppers Drug Mart or one of the other pharmacy chains do flu-shots, as do some of the hospitals and clinics (the Ontario.ca link tells you where).

Flu Clinics Finder
Rexall.ca | Flu Shot
North York General Hospital - Get your free flu shot at General Site Pharmacy
Where and how can Ontarians access publicly funded influenza vaccine?

The influenza vaccine is available at no cost to the public through their primary care provider, public health unit clinics, pharmacies, and in various other settings such as long-term care homes, workplaces, hospitals and community health centres. During the influenza season, Ontarians can visit flu and use the Flu Vaccine Locator Tool to find an influenza immunization clinic nearby.

People may be required to provide proof that they live, work or attend school in Ontario to receive the vaccine. Many different identification (ID) documents are accepted to prove eligibility. If the influenza vaccine is being administered at a doctor’s office or pharmacy, a valid Ontario Health Card must be provided.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-flu-shot

As you have applied for PR you should be able to obtain OHIP. OHIP Eligibility - Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) - Publications - Public Information - MOHLTC - there is a way around not getting 'official' notification that you are eligible for PR, which you can find on the link in this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad.../#post11786350

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 21st 2015 at 6:31 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Odd you would be refused outright, here it's only covered if you meet certain criteria, otherwise you pay, but no doctor needed, just waltz into a pharmacy and hand over some $$ and walk about with the shot, if your covered and they have the gov't supplied stuff, no charge..

Not sure if it's the norm in BC or just at our clinic but the clinic doesn't do flu shots, too overwhelmed as they are so they don't want space used for people wanting a flu shot, but with the pharmacies able to give the shot, easier and quicker then seeing a doctor anyhow....

We got ours a week or 2 ago now, hurt more this year, maybe the pharmacist this year wasn't as skilled at giving shots...lol
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:33 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

For the last 2 years we seem to have be living in a sort of twilight zone...we are temporary residents to Canada. We are here on the Super Visa whilst our PR is being processed...which means no ITN/TIN number or whatever it's called...we pay Canadian taxes but don't seem to have any status. I'm not whining about that...but something so basic as getting the flu shot has me tearing my hair out.

I'm glad that she is ok- tbh and I know I shouldn't say it but I'm not sure how useful it is to the healthy population. I was interested to hear at a recent conference that Ontario hasuniversal flu shots to the population - I did not know this ( those with a healthcare cards that is !)it would InBC they target the population to chronic diseases, institutions listed, very young, health care workers, carers and anyone else could get them but they would need to pay. 80 bucks seems excessive- was that for a consult and then flu shot or just the flu shot??
There is another thread on flu shots but giving them all day tends to dull my mind Nd I try to forget them at the weekend!

Bloody hell- in the time it took me to write this post, it was in the meantime answered by Siouxie and JS- clearly I can't type fast enough in my iPad - apologies for repetition but I'm lay and can't be bothered to revise it!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Nov 21st 2015 at 6:36 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I tried Shoppers along with several other pharmacies and doctor's offices. Without a OHIP card they refused...the public health dept said it was down to the individual pharmacy/surgery.

We were amongst the first dozen or so who applied for PR when the new sponsorship opened Jan 1st 2014. Hopefully we will hear something in 2016. Normally we aren't too fussed about healthcare as our US insurance covers us for emergency treatment whilst we are visiting Canada.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I'm glad that she is ok- tbh and I know I shouldn't say it but I'm not sure how useful it is to the healthy population. I was interested to hear at a recent conference that Ontario hasuniversal flu shots to the population - I did not know this ( those with a healthcare cards that is !)it would InBC they target the population to chronic diseases, institutions listed, very young, health care workers, carers and anyone else could get them but they would need to pay. 80 bucks seems excessive- was that for a consult and then flu shot or just the flu shot??
There is another thread on flu shots but giving them all day tends to dull my mind Nd I try to forget them at the weekend!

Bloody hell- in the time it took me to write this post, it was in the meantime answered by Siouxie and JS- clearly I can't type fast enough in my iPad - apologies for repetition but I'm lay and can't be bothered to revise it!
I didn't see a doctor...$80 was for the nurse sticking me with the needle.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We type fast...lol...

I've only gotten in twice in my life, maybe 3 times, ever since I have known my wife who is a bit of a worrier about health stuff, and H1N1 or whatever it was called a few years back freaked her out...

I can't honestly say if I ever actually had the flu virus though, I don't recall ever being sick with the symptoms the chart at the doctors office describes, it's a do you have the flu or a cold list... Certainly had colds though.

I suppose unless you were tested while sick, no real to know for sure.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:46 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see a doctor...$80 was for the nurse sticking me with the needle.
Holy crap!

We get them in 10ml vials which is 20 x 0.5ml doses= $1600!!

Dealers should forget Crack and crystal-meth and start dealing in flu shots!
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We type fast...lol...

I've only gotten in twice in my life, maybe 3 times, ever since I have known my wife who is a bit of a worrier about health stuff, and H1N1 or whatever it was called a few years back freaked her out...

I can't honestly say if I ever actually had the flu virus though, I don't recall ever being sick with the symptoms the chart at the doctors office describes, it's a do you have the flu or a cold list... Certainly had colds though.

I suppose unless you were tested while sick, no real to know for sure.
I've had the flu twice - once many years ago in the UK and once 13 years ago in Canada, it wasn't fun but luckily I was not too badly affected and within about a week I was on the mend though it took several weeks to recover completely.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 21st 2015 at 6:49 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:49 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I've had the flu twice - once many years ago in the UK and once 13 years ago in Canada, it wasn't fun but luckily I was not too badly affected and within about a week I was on the mend though it took several weeks to recover completely.

http://www.doctorsexpressdanbury.com...e-cold-flu.jpg
There should be a third column-- Man-flu. Way way worse than anything else anyone has experienced- especially women !!
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

After having flu approx 10 years ago...I can honestly say I've only had it once. We were on the last leg of our journey after dropping our daughter off at uni in Toronto. One hour away from home I started to go downhill...fast . By the time we reached home I could barely get out of the car. I staggered to the sofa and there I stayed...wrapped up in a duvet. Within 12 hours hubby followed...it was the first time in over 40 years he had taken time off work due to sickness.

After approx one week hubby went back to work...but in truth it took about a month for us both to fully recover.

IMO flu vs a cold is like migraine vs a headache...one you are completely knocked off your feet and cannot function vs feeling crap but able to carry on.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 21st 2015 at 6:57 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:55 pm
Banned

There should be a third column-- Man-flu. Way way worse than anything else anyone has experienced- especially women !!
(sorry, I took out the original image because it was so big)

There's a website dedicated to all you poor man-flu sufferers!

Man Flu Home

Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Holy crap!

We get them in 10ml vials which is 20 x 0.5ml doses= $1600!!

Dealers should forget Crack and crystal-meth and start dealing in flu shots!
Send me your email addy...maybe you could have given me a cyber shot.

It would have cost more than $80 in petrol to jump the border...
Old Nov 21st 2015, 7:06 pm
I need a walk

I could get a very long needle next time!!! Unless there was a threat of a possible impending pandemic, I wouldn't waste your money unless you had a significant medical problem
Old Nov 21st 2015, 7:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I could get a very long needle next time!!! Unless there was a threat of a possible impending pandemic, I wouldn't waste your money unless you had a significant medical problem
It puts hubby's mind at rest...plus we like to jump on cruise ships to the sun during the winter months. Best to be safe than sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.