Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

are flights to vancouver generally expensive

are flights to vancouver generally expensive

Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future
Default are flights to vancouver generally expensive

does anyone know which airline is cheapest to fly to vancouver from london, uk?are flights to vancouver just expensive compared to elsewhere in canada. I think zoom is the cheapest I've seen so far for a family of two adults and two children
Old Jul 28th 2008, 10:04 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are flights to vancouver generally expensive

It is relative, Vancouver is the furthest point from the UK you can fly direct. Toronto is only half the distance, Calgary & Vancouver are often similar fares.

The charters are the cheapest, however this is often reflected in their fleet and service.

We use BA, never has a problem.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:36 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
It is relative, Vancouver is the furthest point from the UK you can fly direct.
In Canada maybe, but there are further places that you can fly direct, like Tokyo and Los Angeles.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:24 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
In Canada maybe, but there are further places that you can fly direct, like Tokyo and Los Angeles.
What has this got to do with it. It's possible to fly direct to Australia, but then that is irrelevant to the question. The question the OP asked had nothing to do with going to Japan or California, they asked about fares within Canada, particularly Vancouver which is the furthest you can fly from London direct to any point in Canada.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future

BA seems so expensive, but when you think about the amount of luggage you can take (2 x23kg, I think) compared to zoom=max 20kg, max 2 pieces, it might be worth it.
Its back to the drawing board for me, plus I have to find nice hotels in Vancouver for the first two weeks
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sioux
does anyone know which airline is cheapest to fly to vancouver from london, uk?are flights to vancouver just expensive compared to elsewhere in canada. I think zoom is the cheapest I've seen so far for a family of two adults and two children
I find Air Transat is cheaper than Zoom every time i have looked. We also came by AIr Canada once as it was a deal over the internet and worked out cheaper than Zoom at the time. Would never recommend Air Canada though Air Transat beat them hands down
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jempee
I find Air Transat is cheaper than Zoom every time i have looked. We also came by AIr Canada once as it was a deal over the internet and worked out cheaper than Zoom at the time. Would never recommend Air Canada though Air Transat beat them hands down
Never flown with Zoom, but if AT beat them hands down, hate to think what Zoom are like! If you are looking for hotels, do it in plenty of time, if its tourist season rooms may not be so easy to find. There are also motels with kitchenettes and suite hotels that have more space for a family.
Try trip advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...ia-Hotels.html

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Jul 29th 2008 at 3:23 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sioux
BA seems so expensive, but when you think about the amount of luggage you can take (2 x23kg, I think) compared to zoom=max 20kg, max 2 pieces, it might be worth it.
Its back to the drawing board for me, plus I have to find nice hotels in Vancouver for the first two weeks
So to get a direct comparison if you want to bring excess baggage, add the cost of the extra bags with Zoom to the fare and compare that to BA.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:56 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

So to get a direct comparison if you want to bring excess baggage, add the cost of the extra bags with Zoom to the fare and compare that to BA.
Don't forget that Zoom do a "premium economy" rate which gives you a larger baggage allowance (and more leg room). Well worth it if you're moving over.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

mayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud of

Hi if you are flying before the end of October BA are still allowing 32kg x2. After that i think they are doing excess baggage form 23kg up to 32kg for flat rate £25. per bag.
Please check their baggage information for full details.
HTH

Last edited by mayersanna; Jul 29th 2008 at 4:04 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:05 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

I always use Zoom - never had a problem. They're running a promo at the moment - use code Children2008 and your kids will fly free....
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_999
I always use Zoom - never had a problem. They're running a promo at the moment - use code Children2008 and your kids will fly free....
KIDS FLY FREE!!
That's just what I need as I have two kids and that would halve the cost of everything. Does anybody have any promo codes for hotels??
I am a cheapskate
I have never flown zoom, but the upgrade to premium economy is so much more..although yo get unlimited drinks. That comes anyway with BA and other big airlines.
Going to look up ...was it trans at??
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Never flown with Zoom, but if AT beat them hands down, hate to think what Zoom are like! If you are looking for hotels, do it in plenty of time, if its tourist season rooms may not be so easy to find. There are also motels with kitchenettes and suite hotels that have more space for a family.
Try trip advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...ia-Hotels.html
thanks for that link. Its exactly the sort of thing I am looking for- kitchenette etc
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:39 am
Just Joined

HLKG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bazzz
Don't forget that Zoom do a "premium economy" rate which gives you a larger baggage allowance (and more leg room). Well worth it if you're moving over.
That's what I'm doing in September - the prices for one way flights were very expensive with BA/Air Canada, even taking into account the baggage allowance, so I'm going premium (but with Canadian Affair). Thought I'd allow myself a bit of "luxury" to celebrate becoming a PR.

For return flights I agree with the other posters - Zoom/Canadian Affair have always been the cheapest.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

wow
just got off the AIR TRANSAT website and tickest are half of what BA etc are charging. Only thing is the 20kg baggage allowance