British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Flights to/from Europe->Calgary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/flights-europe-calgary-935668/)

Gozit Nov 11th 2020 12:09 am

Flights to/from Europe->Calgary

So with Calgary being the almost quarantine free option, any known tricks for flights into Canada where you enter in Calgary? (ie not connecting via YYZ or YVR since that makes you ineligible to do the rapid test.)

The best I could find gets you via Houston (IAH) and Frankfurt, but on the way back wants to route via YYZ which defeats the purpose of flying from Calgary.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 11th 2020 12:50 am

Re: Flights to/from Europe->Calgary

Westjet has some non-stops both directions from London Gatwick, but its not daily so you have to search each day of the week to find the non-stops on their website.

I only checked Dec and January, so beyond those months it may vary.

You may also have to book legs separately. So say if you went YYZ to LGW and onto another destination on your return chances are you would need to book Origin to Gatwick on whatever airline, than Westjet to Calgary.

sharkus Nov 11th 2020 2:25 pm

You're also at the mercy of the airline deciding to cancel the flight due to it being under-booked. There is quite a lot of that going on right now.
Personally I'd not be flying anywhere right now unless it's for an absolutely critical reason.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 11th 2020 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 12934522)
You're also at the mercy of the airline deciding to cancel the flight due to it being under-booked. There is quite a lot of that going on right now.
Personally I'd not be flying anywhere right now unless it's for an absolutely critical reason.

I'll agree there. Airlines have since spring largely been doing a month by month schedule, a flight that exists today in January may not exist a month from now.

Gozit Nov 12th 2020 12:21 am

Yep, I am not looking seriously, more for curiosity sake but I am likely just going to wait for the rapid testing to come to YYZ. Doug Ford has indicated he is willing to work with the federal gov't on bringing it here so i'm sure it's just a matter of a few more months.

And even then I won't be going anywhere crazy or planning a huge trip that could get cancelled.

Revin Kevin Nov 15th 2020 1:39 pm

KLM have flights direct into Calgary via Amsterdam. As I've said before my advice is stick to KLM or Air Canada as they are the only ones who have kept flying all through. Other airlines seem to be in the habit of publishing time tables, taking your booking but then cancelling the flights.

Example of what's available;

Your trip to Calgary CHANGE OUTBOUND FLIGHT
  1. London (LHR)
  2. 1 x transfer
  3. Calgary (YYC)
Fri 20 Nov 202006:30 - 13:50 GBP 304.86
CHOOSE YOUR PACKAGE
RETURN FLIGHT
  1. ]Calgary (YYC)
    • 1 x transfer
      • London (LHR)
Fri 27 Nov 202015:40 - 10:25 GBP 304.85
CHOOSE YOUR PACKAGE
Total price for 1 passenger
GBP 609.71
View trip details, ticket conditions and price specification

sharkus Nov 15th 2020 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12934769)
Yep, I am not looking seriously, more for curiosity sake but I am likely just going to wait for the rapid testing to come to YYZ. Doug Ford has indicated he is willing to work with the federal gov't on bringing it here so i'm sure it's just a matter of a few more months.

And even then I won't be going anywhere crazy or planning a huge trip that could get cancelled.

I don't think it really matters what type of trip you'd take, they could all be subject to cancellation at the airline's whim. Then you get the joy of trying to get your flight refunded if you don't want to fly. I shall stop right there, as a rant will ensue.

Revin Kevin Nov 15th 2020 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 12936008)
I don't think it really matters what type of trip you'd take, they could all be subject to cancellation at the airline's whim. Then you get the joy of trying to get your flight refunded if you don't want to fly. I shall stop right there, as a rant will ensue.

Probably the best strategy is to leave booking your flight until the very last minute and if possible after you have had a negative covid test just to make sure you're not asymptomatic.

Gozit Nov 16th 2020 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12935994)
KLM have flights direct into Calgary via Amsterdam. As I've said before my advice is stick to KLM or Air Canada as they are the only ones who have kept flying all through. Other airlines seem to be in the habit of publishing time tables, taking your booking but then cancelling the flights.

Example of what's available;

Your trip to Calgary CHANGE OUTBOUND FLIGHT
  1. London (LHR)
  2. 1 x transfer
  3. Calgary (YYC)
Fri 20 Nov 202006:30 - 13:50 GBP 304.86
CHOOSE YOUR PACKAGE
RETURN FLIGHT
  1. ]Calgary (YYC)
    • 1 x transfer
      • London (LHR)
Fri 27 Nov 202015:40 - 10:25 GBP 304.85
CHOOSE YOUR PACKAGE
Total price for 1 passenger
GBP 609.71
View trip details, ticket conditions and price specification

Where is the 1x transfer? It can't be another Canadian airport.

Revin Kevin Nov 16th 2020 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12936178)
Where is the 1x transfer? It can't be another Canadian airport.

The transfer is in Amsterdam.