Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The flight from hell: any advice?

Wikiposts

The flight from hell: any advice?

Old Jun 8th 2016, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The flight from hell: any advice?

Waiting for flight at Halifax ... got diazepam...

Will report back tomorrow

S
Old Jun 8th 2016, 9:38 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use the double v cocktail. Valium and vodka.
I'd really recommend getting some kind of professional help though. It can do wonders but it is a long term project.

It may be hard to believe but I used to be terrified of flying . I've had 5 hour long panic attacks. But it can be overcome

Thinking of you

Z
Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! got from Halifax to Montreal and am now just waiting to board the flight to Vancouver! Back later or tomorrow! 😃

S
Old Jun 8th 2016, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

hope the flight from Montreal went well
Old Jun 8th 2016, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just got back. Flight was okay but bumpy for the last 90mins due to strong winds.

Thanks for everyone's support on this thread.

S
Old Jun 8th 2016, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

My serious suggestion regarding fear of flying is to do a few flying lessons, at least up to your first solo landing - usually 10-15 hours (means you don't have to go all the way through to taking the test and getting a private pilot licence).

I qualified as a private pilot, mainly to overcome my fear of heights! I am still scared of heights, but heights in aircraft don't bother me and certainly not now scared of flying. Not now that I know what is going on, how well trained airline pilots are on airlines like Air Canada (and yes, the hated BA!), how well maintained their aircraft are etc.

I would not say the same about many other countries / areas airlines, I am sure you can figure out the airlines I mean. Most European and North American airlines will be pretty good in this respect.

As regards the non-flying customer care and dealing with passengers when things go wrong side - very different story!
Old Jun 9th 2016, 12:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I would not say the same about many other countries / areas airlines, I am sure you can figure out the airlines I mean. Most European and North American airlines will be pretty good in this respect.
I have a client that manufactures pieces of aeroplanes. They have charts on the walls of their factories and offices tracking how many crashes there are, how many mechanical failures, how their pieces perform relative to the competition, how many failures were maintenance related and so on.

Last time I looked, and the many times before that, internal flights in poor countries were bad for your health (when I've been on such flights the missing seats were a clue that all was not well) but, after that, the least well maintained planes belonged to the US airlines. Aircraft used by third world airlines for international flights tend to be maintained by contracted companies (often subsidiaries of European airlines) in Europe and are not a matter of concern.