Fitbit

Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:49 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fitbit

Anyone use one of these personal fitness data tracking devices ? Any good?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:02 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitbit

I have a couple of fit techy friends in the UK and they use them, references pop up to them on Facebook occasionally in competition I with other friends. They seem good actually. Now the kids are in school, might be something to think about.

Those friends also have the pedometer things too, and make sure they do their 10,000 steps a day etc, fast a couple of days a week- proper Horizon converts....and to be fair to them they are very fit and very healthy!
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:06 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I've used pedometers in the past and like tracking stuff. It seems very good from what I have read on their website. Just wondering if it will end up in a drawer in a month or two.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:23 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I've used pedometers in the past and like tracking stuff. It seems very good from what I have read on their website. Just wondering if it will end up in a drawer in a month or two.
Mmmm well that would be me too. Still I aspire one day to be one of those fit healthy running people who look the part too!
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get this at all. Why not simply train until you have achieved what you set out to achieve during the training session. If you intend to run a mile, run a mile. Time it if time is important to you. Does it really matter what the data says?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:33 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I don't get this at all. Why not simply train until you have achieved what you set out to achieve during the training session. If you intend to run a mile, run a mile. Time it if time is important to you. Does it really matter what the data says?
Data can be motivating. Those who "simply train" are generally motivated enough to not need technological assistance. For us lesser beings, gizmos and data help.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Data can be motivating. Those who "simply train" are generally motivated enough to not need technological assistance. For us lesser beings, gizmos and data help.
Fair enough

I just rely upon genetics
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:59 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of the guys at work have them and there are the obvious competitions to see how has the most steps. While I don't have a fitbit I do occasionally fire up the Pedometer app on my iPhone to see how utterly lazy I've been. The chaps at work say that I'm obviously going for the prize of least number of steps in a week

If you're thinking of such a device, may I suggest waiting until after 9th September. Why? Apple has officially announced their usual event, in which the new iPhones will appear, but there is apparently more being announced, likely one of the new product lines, and rumours are it's a wearable device, which would fit in with their new Health Kit stuff in iOS 8, and thus it could be comparable to, or better than FitBit and other similar devices.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:09 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by sharkus
A couple of the guys at work have them and there are the obvious competitions to see how has the most steps. While I don't have a fitbit I do occasionally fire up the Pedometer app on my iPhone to see how utterly lazy I've been. The chaps at work say that I'm obviously going for the prize of least number of steps in a week

If you're thinking of such a device, may I suggest waiting until after 9th September. Why? Apple has officially announced their usual event, in which the new iPhones will appear, but there is apparently more being announced, likely one of the new product lines, and rumours are it's a wearable device, which would fit in with their new Health Kit stuff in iOS 8, and thus it could be comparable to, or better than FitBit and other similar devices.

I've used pedometers several times in the past and do quite enjoy knowing the step count. Not so keen on the app pedometers as often need to use the phone. But good point on the Apple launch, they have been talking about health apps, and it will be interesting to see what they introduce. Glad to hear guys are using Fitbit as I was thinking it might be more of a girly thing.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:24 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using it on my iPhone 5S, which has the M7 chip which deals with motion and such things. I don't have to use my phone for it to work, just have to have the phone on me and it seems to pick things up. As I use my iPhone as an iPod too, I tend to have it around if I'm walking, but I can see how not everyone has a phone on them all the time, but might have a wristband.

It will be interesting, I'm curious as it might give insight into what a good friend of mine has been doing for the past couple of months.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:29 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Fitbug several years ago and signed up to their website so I could log the data however I kept getting supposedly motivational texts from them (like suggesting I needed to walk a mile at 11 o'clock at night!!) so changed my phone details and threw it in the drawer. It also went though batteries at a rate which suggested they had shares in Duracell.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Fit's not in my vocab
Old Aug 29th 2014, 8:51 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I have an UP band, chosen as it's the only one that is compatible with my i
Pad2. I like it, I like the sleep thing on it, the alarm, and nap function. It is irritating that it isn't waterproof for swimming and doesn't count steps if you are pushing something, or for cycling I out it in my sock so it registers.
I've heard that the new Fitband is better, it would have been my first choice.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Tracking how your training is improving performance is something that makes doing said training a bit more interesting.

Still, walking isn't really exercise unless you are morbidly obese or otherwise totally unfit. It's better than nothing, but not as good as something that requires a bit of effort.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 11:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone use one of these personal fitness data tracking devices ? Any good?
Daughter bought me one Christmas before last. I bought hubby a wristband FitBit last September...can't remember the name. We find it does give you an incentive to keep to or exceed your daily goal of X number of steps per day. It also syncs to all our Apple devices.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Tracking how your training is improving performance is something that makes doing said training a bit more interesting.

Still, walking isn't really exercise unless you are morbidly obese or otherwise totally unfit. It's better than nothing, but not as good as something that requires a bit of effort.
Walking is one of the best forms of exercise...less impact on joints too.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 29th 2014 at 11:53 am. Reason: To add another quote/post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.