Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Fish and Chip Shop in Toronto

Fish and Chip Shop in Toronto

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice
Default Re: Fish and Chip Shop in Toronto

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
I don't know if they're still around but there was a little cubby hole place near U of T called Harbord Fish and Chips.
This chippy was once owned by a Brit, and apparently very good. Now owned by an Asian it's disgusting.1 month ago I returned 3 lots and got my $36 back.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markan
This chippy was once owned by a Brit, and apparently very good. Now owned by an Asian it's disgusting.1 month ago I returned 3 lots and got my $36 back.
Stands to reason, don't it? You don't get fish in Asia.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:08 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Stands to reason, don't it? You don't get fish in Asia.
Eh? Asia is probably the biggest market for seafood, including fish, in the world. Granted, Fish and Chip shops are in short supply in say Hong Kong, but wanting to clog your arteries with fried fish and chips is a Western thing....
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Eh? Asia is probably the biggest market for seafood, including fish, in the world. Granted, Fish and Chip shops are in short supply in say Hong Kong, but wanting to clog your arteries with fried fish and chips is a Western thing....
Oh dear. In truth I'm aware that:

- Asia's big, there are different flavours of Asians and they eat different things

- Asia has oceans and rivers. One ocean is helpfully named for the continent

- Wherever there's water local people eat the creatures from it

Furthermore,

- Most Fish and Chip shops in Toronto are run by Asians (American usage) though the Ohrid F&C shop, recently renamed to British Style F&C at Coxwell and Danforth is run by Asians (British usage) and Duckworth's seems to be operated by Newfies (or a reasonable facsimile thereof)

- The fabulous Nova Fish Bar was run by people, seemingly fresh from China, who spoke no English, only one woman could work the money.

I was taking a poke at the implication in the post above that the decline in quality of food somehow related to the ethnicity of the shop owner. I dunno if F&C shops in the UK were ever operated by British people, by the time I was a kid they'd mostly gone, replaced by kebab shops and curry houses.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:51 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh Irony. Forgive me, I was being all Canadian for a minute. <gives oneself a slap>
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:10 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markan
This is exactly the place that you need to avoid at all costs.

For places that are a bit further afield, the chippy on Lakeshore in Bronte is awesome, and the one in Oakville at Rebecca and Dorval is acceptable.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I was taking a poke at the implication in the post above that the decline in quality of food somehow related to the ethnicity of the shop owner. I dunno if F&C shops in the UK were ever operated by British people, by the time I was a kid they'd mostly gone, replaced by kebab shops and curry houses.
There is a British Chippy run by ex-pat Brits just down the road from me. The food they serve in there is nothing like the food one would be used to in England (even from a bad chippy in England) yet they advertise it as authentic fish and chips. The people that run it even advertise that they used to run a chippy in England
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Thank you. We'll have to go on a chip shop crawl.
The fish at Duckworths is good. I tried it on recommendation from DBD several times last year. They are still north american style chips which is the only downer........sadly I am yet to find the true British chip in this city but will be investigating Bill Bell's suggestion this weekend.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

My condolences to those who live in the centre of the Canadian universe and are unable to find decent fish and chips. Around here one can't move for them.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I'll admit it's 17 years since I lived in Toronto but apparently my old chippy Penrose Fish & Chips (W. side of Mount Pleasant Rd. just north of Davisville) is still alive and kicking. Not all the reviews sing their praises but I was never disappointed and considering they've been in business since 1950 they must be doing something right. I've seen line-ups out the door & half way down the block in one of the coldest dampest Januarys I ever spent there so that ought to tell you something. Must confess I'm a cod girl myself but their halibut was fine and if I ever go back to Toronto for a visit I'd go back.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

onepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really nice

The best fish and chip shop I have ever been to is in Pickering. Not too far from Toronto. The restaurant is called Kathryn's Bar & Grill, located at Rougemount Drive and Hwy 2, just off the 401 and West of Whites Road. You get large portions and the fish is fresh with a lovely crispy batter and real chips. Gosh I am starving now.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:10 am
Banned

Greetings00 is an unknown quantity at this point

It certainly has a hint of mustiness about it. Quigley's is a nice pub with music and nasty bouncers just west of there, that can be combined with a film and it's almost like you're in Highgate.

Ive never been in Quigleys, can you please give me the exact location for this pub? What kind of music does this pub plays with?Any way thanks for the information huh !!!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Greetings00
Ive never been in Quigleys, can you please give me the exact location for this pub? What kind of music does this pub plays with?Any way thanks for the information huh !!!
Three or four buildings west of the cinema, across one road, the junction with the old bank, now organic food shop, on the NE corner and the GOOF on the SE.

In the bar they have bar bands.
Old May 4th 2012, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

EssentialP is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm eagerly seeking some seaside soggy chips... Does anyone know of any fish and chip places in Toronto that do their chips like this? Most seem to do the chips a little too well done.
Old May 4th 2012, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by EssentialP
I'm eagerly seeking some seaside soggy chips... Does anyone know of any fish and chip places in Toronto that do their chips like this? Most seem to do the chips a little too well done.
The Reliable, on Queen West, offers ill formed lumps of sploge, I suppose they're potatoes left to loose their firmness and then ripped into chunks by hand, that are soaked in cool well used oil. You'll need an impermeable container to carry them in but, if it's soggy you want, that's the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.