Reload this Page >

Fish and Chip Shop in Toronto

Fish and Chip Shop in Toronto

Old May 4th 2012, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fish and Chip Shop in Toronto

Originally Posted by curleytops
I'll admit it's 17 years since I lived in Toronto but apparently my old chippy Penrose Fish & Chips (W. side of Mount Pleasant Rd. just north of Davisville) is still alive and kicking. Not all the reviews sing their praises but I was never disappointed and considering they've been in business since 1950 they must be doing something right. I've seen line-ups out the door & half way down the block in one of the coldest dampest Januarys I ever spent there so that ought to tell you something. Must confess I'm a cod girl myself but their halibut was fine and if I ever go back to Toronto for a visit I'd go back.
I tried Penrose a few months back and can't say I was that impressed. The fish was ok (I had a lovely piece of halibut, in fact it was good enough for Jehovah...etc ) but the chips tasted like they had been cooked in burnt fat. Am still on the look out for another decent one around here. What is it with these places closing early too? Penrose closes at 7.30pm?
Old May 4th 2012, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

EssentialP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Reliable, on Queen West, offers ill formed lumps of sploge, I suppose they're potatoes left to loose their firmness and then ripped into chunks by hand, that are soaked in cool well used oil. You'll need an impermeable container to carry them in but, if it's soggy you want, that's the place.
Lol. The way you described it makes it sounds so appetizing!

I suppose I could give it a try and see if it tastes similar. The best English fish and chip 'chips' are... well I'm sure most people know what I mean by 'soggy' —they're deep fried and greasy but not crispy. Kinda like fat McDonald's fries. Mmm...
Old May 4th 2012, 7:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The fish and especially the chips are bit crap over here.
Old May 5th 2012, 1:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EssentialP
Kinda like fat McDonald's fries. Mmm...
I have no idea.
Old May 5th 2012, 2:49 am
Just Joined

ineedtoleave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markan
This chippy was once owned by a Brit, and apparently very good. Now owned by an Asian it's disgusting.1 month ago I returned 3 lots and got my $36 back.
Couldn't you have just said the business changed ownership? Why is it acceptable to say "an Asian" but offensive to say "a white"?
Old May 5th 2012, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ineedtoleave
Couldn't you have just said the business changed ownership? Why is it acceptable to say "an Asian" but offensive to say "a white"?
If markan's posts generally go around criticizing asians your point would be fair, but from a neutral position, it's possible he could've just been pointing out that the fish and chip shop changed from British ownership to non-British ownership.

There's nothing racist in calling a person from asia, "asian".
Old May 5th 2012, 9:23 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ineedtoleave
Who said it was offensive to say white?
Old May 5th 2012, 1:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want an Asian owned Fish and Chip shop the, once bravely named, Ohrid, at Coxwell and Dundas, is now called British Style and is very good though not, I suppose, as soggy as desired.
Old May 5th 2012, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

carley_jackson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Oink
The fish and especially the chips are bit crap over here.
Agreed.....I especially hate when they say real British fish and chips on the windows, you go in all excited.......and then the chips have skins on!!! ick
Old May 5th 2012, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carley_jackson
Agreed.....I especially hate when they say real British fish and chips on the windows, you go in all excited.......and then the chips have skins on!!! ick
Or the fish are fried in a tempura batter. — wtf?
Old May 5th 2012, 10:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

There was a place in Vancouver who did pretty decent chips but they shut down. I think its the crappy potatoes which is a bit weird because potatoes are from NA. I quite like a bit of halibut but find the batter a bit too thick and greasy in most places.
Old May 6th 2012, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Aberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really nice

It's a bit of a hike from downtown, but in Whitby two decent places are The Flying Fish on Dundas Street and Baltimore Fish and Chips (recently opened) on Taunton. They're not exactly like what you might find in the UK, but pretty good nevertheless.

I miss soft (i.e., not overcooked) chips too. I also miss chippers that are open late.
Old May 6th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

Just to add some information for Westenders. The best fish and chip shop is Kingsway Fish and Chips. Royal and Bloor.

The owner is scottish they are best fish and chips I have tasted. Even better than a lot of British chippies.

http://www.kingswayfishandchips.com/

Check it out avoid Friday tea time it is insane as they do takeout, and they feed hundreds of brits our traditional Friday tea.
Old May 6th 2012, 11:14 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Today we tried Fresco's in Kensington Market, and it was pretty good. Still not perfect chips, but the fish was excellent. Tried both the regular batter and the Miss Vickies extra crispy batter and both were great.

The One That Got Away on King West is still good.

A new one has also opened up NW corner of Queen and Spadina called The Big Fish, but haven't tried it yet.

Still haven't found anywhere that does breaded plaice though, despite the fact that Canada is apparently one of the largest producers of plaice in the world.
Old May 7th 2012, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Today we tried Fresco's in Kensington Market, and it was pretty good. Still not perfect chips, but the fish was excellent. Tried both the regular batter and the Miss Vickies extra crispy batter and both were great.

The One That Got Away on King West is still good.

A new one has also opened up NW corner of Queen and Spadina called The Big Fish, but haven't tried it yet.

Still haven't found anywhere that does breaded plaice though, despite the fact that Canada is apparently one of the largest producers of plaice in the world.
I actually spent an hour walking all the way down to Kensington market the other day to try their fish & chips but when I was merely 10 meters away, I ended up getting a waft of the burrito place and… well, I couldn't help myself.

What I wish I could do is get the fish from Fresco's and pair it with the chips from Chippy's… which is apparently the best chips (although I haven't tried them yet.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.