Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First trip back to Uk

Wikiposts

First trip back to Uk

Old May 17th 2009, 8:07 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to Uk

Originally Posted by macadian
Or....that he thinks being a 1st class tosser is a positive kind of a thing....
You refering to me or srah.
Old May 17th 2009, 8:10 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Pardon me, could you please refrain from directing the riff raff to my homeland. I'm sure there are equally appropriate places elsewhere, like some sort of abyss or other. I do find this person to be odd, they have provided the same link and one line answer in other BE forums (fora?).
Apologies my fine 'Mick' friend, I will off and find a nice patch of quicksand some where in the far (and hopefully uninhabited) reaches of the Southern Hemisphere.

I too noticed the multiple posting of said link.
Old May 17th 2009, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
You refering to me or srah.
Perish the thought oh Butch one.....
Old May 17th 2009, 12:49 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srah
Then this will apply to him also....unless he wishes to retract the word 'never'

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis...upcitizenship/
Thankyou for your invaluable insight. I also have taken the liberty of reviewing your previous posts and decided you are full of it .... ah here's my ignore list..... you are now on it. B'bye.
Old May 18th 2009, 2:10 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I felt just the same .... almost a dread going back (1st time in nearly 3 years).

I stayed with my parents and it was lovely to see them. It was great to see my youngest bro and his wife too, but my elder brother .... well he deigned to come over one evening so my parents could take him and his wife out for a pub supper, and neither of them even mentioned Canada once, so neither did I. It was most odd. He never asked after any of the family or what it was like out here, and how we were doing. I actually don't care if I never see him again now.

The high spot of my 10 day trip (including travelling) was the evening I went to a rehearsal of my old musical theatre company, but a few of us always used to go for drink after, and on this occasion, if anyone was going they certainly didn't invite me.

Hey ho. I was so glad to come home to Canada, and have no plans to go back again for the forseeable future. My 17 yr old son enjoyed seeing his old friends again, but says he'd never want to live there now either.
Glad someone else has felt like I do. Thanks Morwenna
Old May 18th 2009, 2:12 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Wishing you both a fab trip back 'home'.

Thank you
I went back for the first time in April on my ownsome. Had a fab time but was totally worn out at the end of the 8 days because I stayed with 4 different sets of friends. The first few days felt weird, especially when I went into town shopping/dining out etc. Felt like a total nobody and it was strange being surrounded by people with the same accent.

As the days passed I felt more comfortable about my surroundings but I never did get used to everyone driving on the 'wrong' side of the road and found it hard to get my head around all the new buildings that had gone up in only 2 years

My trip did not make me homesick (thankfully) and I loved catching up with all my friends and ex workmates.

Don't try to cram in as much as I did. I spread myself a bit thin to say the least. Give yourself time to chill out
Well I will try not to but Southampton, Nantwich, Reading and Stevenage all have to be fit in
Old May 18th 2009, 2:16 am
Arrived at last!!

Not at all. Just merely highlighting how one can terminate their right to live in the UK...it doesn't suit everybody.
My dread at going back is not the country it is the FAMILY!!!!! I have dual citizenship, having been born in Canada, and if circumstances said I had to live back in the UK then I would. As it is we have settled into life here very well and have no desires to go back, it does mean to say that I hate the UK or have even run it down, I havent.
Old May 18th 2009, 2:19 am
Arrived at last!!

Why would the link be offensive to renounce one's citizenship? I think I'm being very helpful and informative....plus I too am a very nice person.
Why should I want to renounce my British citizenship, I have only been British about four years??
Old May 18th 2009, 2:22 am
Arrived at last!!

Gosh I went away for one day and this is what happened in my absence
Old May 18th 2009, 2:36 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I typically go back to the UK (Lancaster and Manchester) about every 2-3 years or so - usually for 3 weeks. I always have a good time, catching up with everyone, the pubs, fish suppers, pudding chips and gravy (yum) etc. Usually go home 15 pounds heavier.

My family were always very supportive about me leaving the UK and want the best for me. While i certainly miss family, I don't really miss the UK anymore and Canada is now home. I think sometimes people miss the idea of the UK. Hanging out at the pub, walks in the country, old buildings etc. But reality is much different - nostalgia fades fast I find. I went home for 6 weeks a few years ago with a misplaced idea of moving back - i couldn't wait to get back to vancouver.

Length of time away also has a lot of bearing. I left the UK in 1989 - spent 4 years in the US and have been in Vancouver for the past 16 years.

Hope all goes well on the home front
Old May 18th 2009, 2:47 am
Arrived at last!!

Originally Posted by dboy
I typically go back to the UK (Lancaster and Manchester) about every 2-3 years or so - usually for 3 weeks. I always have a good time, catching up with everyone, the pubs, fish suppers, pudding chips and gravy (yum) etc. Usually go home 15 pounds heavier.
Gosh, I had better get serious about losing some weight before I go, I have already put on about 14 lbs since I have been here
My family were always very supportive about me leaving the UK and want the best for me. While i certainly miss family, I don't really miss the UK anymore and Canada is now home. I think sometimes people miss the idea of the UK. Hanging out at the pub, walks in the country, old buildings etc. But reality is much different - nostalgia fades fast I find. I went home for 6 weeks a few years ago with a misplaced idea of moving back - i couldn't wait to get back to vancouver.

Length of time away also has a lot of bearing. I left the UK in 1989 - spent 4 years in the US and have been in Vancouver for the past 16 years.

Hope all goes well on the home front

Thank you. Bridges will either be repaired or lengthened! However, after all that was said I am not bothered whether I ever have a relationship again with my sister, but I was very hurt by my brother taking sides, but perhaps as he has invited me to stay with him for a couple of days he has seen the error of his ways and wants to make it up, who knows.
We have only been in Canada 18 months and I hope we will be here for many more years.