British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   First snow! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/first-snow-493199/)

Cookie Nov 11th 2007 2:34 pm

First snow!

I headed down to Halifax yesterday with a friend to do some shopping. Left at 8.30 and spent the day at Bayer's Lake.

At around 4pm we went into Costco and spent quite a while there. We were in no rush and my friend kept banging into people she knew from Cape Breton. After about 2 hours we left to was very surprised to be greeted by a blanket of snow outside together with horizontal snow blowing in the wind. A good inch of snow had fallen. Of course I did not have any gloves on and had to load up the car. Crikey, it felt like someone had chopped my fingers off :eek:

Skidded down the ramp to the road :eek: then crawled most of the way home to New Glasgow. Conditions were bad, with blizzard conditions and no road gritted. To top it all it was pitch black and of course could not use high beam. Slid on the road a couple of times, and finally after nearly 3 hours got home. This journey normally takes 1.5 hours. Got back to New Glasgow there was no snow but plenty of rain.

Boy, was I knackered, with a headache on top. :blink:

My snow tires go on next week. Having already experienced last winter here I have to say that the roads are normally kept very clear and well gritted. My friend told me that they usually don't grit before 15th November - surely not a hard and fast rule I hope !!!!

RodRos&Co. Nov 11th 2007 3:28 pm

Re: First snow!

Glad to hear you got home safe and well, maybe a white Christmas?

daft batty Nov 11th 2007 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by RodRos&Co. (Post 5541125)
Glad to hear you got home safe and well, maybe a white Christmas?

I hope we have one here. We didnt last year and it didnt seem very christmassy at all

kate white Nov 11th 2007 4:35 pm

glad you got home safe hope you got rid of the soar head :thumbsup:scotland to scotland eh:lol:

kate

NovaBoy Nov 11th 2007 5:02 pm

Glad you made it home safe and sound with no mishaps!

Did you have a "wee dram" once you got in? ;)

We also had the snow yesterday, then accompanied with the wind overnight. That brought another couple of trees down in our garden.

Had some more light snow this morning - what about New Glasgow?

Cookie Nov 11th 2007 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by NovaBoy (Post 5541378)

We also had the snow yesterday, then accompanied with the wind overnight. That brought another couple of trees down in our garden.

No snow yet, but a dull, rainy day today. Snow forecast overnight with temps of 2C feeling more like -3C.

Incidently, my friends back home living outside Aberdeen told me that they had snow overnight last Thursday.

Halifax harpie Nov 11th 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by NovaBoy (Post 5541378)

We had about 10 cms last night here in Bedford - can't believe it's started so early:eek: It's more like -6 degs at the moment.
Hope you have packed your thermals if you are planning a visit soon.
Combined with the storm last weekend, when we had a big tree come down, that thankfully missed the house and deck, I'm hoping that's the worst of it:(

Tangram Nov 11th 2007 8:28 pm

1 Attachment(s)
We have had it here last two days. First drive clearing done today along with first snowball fight with my daughter and the dog....the dog lost.

NovaBoy Nov 12th 2007 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Halifax harpie (Post 55417040)
Combined with the storm last weekend, when we had a big tree come down, that thankfully missed the house and deck, I'm hoping that's the worst of it:(

Yeh me too - in last weekends storm we had about 8 or 10 trees come down in the garden & about three power outages! Oh the joys! ;)