Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Fingers crossed please!

Fingers crossed please!

Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fingers crossed please!

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well, not in the spirit of the other thread at all, Montreal is nice for sure, so knocking not going on here, but Toronto is rather more vibrant and, cliche as it may be, it has a good deal more exposure to the rest of the world than most places in Canada. Which is a good thing.

To repeat, Montreal also has its charms and its problems. If life had taken me there I would likely enjoy some of it.

Edit: Et je parle francais assez bien.
No No No.. where did you pick up that I was comparing Toronto to Montreal? anyway.. as usual..
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zalaben
No No No.. where did you pick up that I was comparing Toronto to Montreal? anyway.. as usual..
In my naive way, I assumed you liked Montreal, but were less pleased with Toronto. Perhaps you're miserable wherever you are?
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

In my naive way, I assumed you liked Montreal, but were less pleased with Toronto. Perhaps you're miserable wherever you are?
Ahhhhh , now that makes sense LOL

That;ll teach you for assuming
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:39 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

for you YYZ...
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:21 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Am i the only one safe in the knowledge that YYZlover is heading to Toronto and not the west coast?

I think right now, YYZ would probably settle for being a YYC, YEG, YHZ, YUL, YOW or YVRlover if it got her to Canada faster. One you've got PR, and Canadian work experience, it's much easier to change jobs.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I think right now, YYZ would probably settle for being a YYC, YEG, YHZ, YUL, YOW or YVRlover if it got her to Canada faster. One you've got PR, and Canadian work experience, it's much easier to change jobs.
The way things are transpiring at the home front, you are not far from the truth.

A member of a neo-nazi party got a mandate in a neighboring city. That area has more of them. The woods around where we are, were used for the neo-nazis to practice war skills during the nights. That has started up again, since the last election. I hear machine guns at night.

And there is more but on a private level. November can't come fast enough.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zalaben
But tell me, What DO you see in Toronto?? I really Dont get it! LOL
Ok, this is going to be a long one so you get the full picture.

The only way I can describe it is that it is the first place I felt at home.

I grew up commuting between southern and northern Europe. I never got a chance to settle and develop roots. Add to it that I never felt I belonged in either place.

I was 18 years and 5 months old when I sat on the Canadian Pacific flight from Boston to YYZ on November 11, 1983, looking out the window coming in for landing and my heart skipped several beats. It was dark and the city lights sprawled beneath my feet welcomed me. I was in love before the plane touched ground. I stayed for 4 months and loved every single minute of it. I have loved Toronto ever since.

January 2003 was the first time I got to see Toronto again with my own eyes. I was on board a KLM flight from Los Angeles, heading back to Europe. Despite what the inflight rout screen showed I was told we were not going to fly over Toronto. A few hours in to the flight (I'm in an isle seat and can't see out) something beckons me to get up and walk to a door and look out the window. I did and started crying. I new exactly which city was below. As much as I was in the air I was at home.

A year later I finally put my feet on Toronto soil and I couldn't have been happier. Everything smelled the same, the sounds where the same, I found my way around the city, on foot like I had not left it. Everything was the same except for me. I was different. I was much happier, relaxed, productive, confident. Basically the person I know I am and can be. With every visit it is confirmed that it is the way. My friends (there and here) even my family, all say I'm different - in a positive way - when I'm there.

Normally I get itchy feet within two weeks of taking a flight and can't get to an airport fast enough. In Toronto I get panic attacks coming close to the airport because I don't want to leave.

There is a flight with Continental on November 11 that would take me to Boston change to Air Canada and land at about the same time as that Canadian Pacific did and it would be exactly 27 years. I'm thinking about booking it although going straight with Air Canada would be a better option as I could change the return.

And I've been offered to do a job that day and two days later. But I think I might turn that down.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover

I grew up commuting between southern and northern Europe. I never got a chance to settle and develop roots. Add to it that I never felt I belonged in either place.

I was 18 years and 5 months old when I sat on the Canadian Pacific flight from Boston to YYZ on November 11, 1983, looking out the window coming in for landing and my heart skipped several beats. It was dark and the city lights sprawled beneath my feet welcomed me. I was in love before the plane touched ground. I stayed for 4 months and loved every single minute of it. I have loved Toronto ever since.

January 2003 was the first time I got to see Toronto again with my own eyes. I was on board a KLM flight from Los Angeles, heading back to Europe. Despite what the inflight rout screen showed I was told we were not going to fly over Toronto. A few hours in to the flight (I'm in an isle seat and can't see out) something beckons me to get up and walk to a door and look out the window. I did and started crying. I new exactly which city was below. As much as I was in the air I was at home.

A year later I finally put my feet on Toronto soil and I couldn't have been happier. Everything smelled the same, the sounds where the same, I found my way around the city, on foot like I had not left it. Everything was the same except for me. I was different. I was much happier, relaxed, productive, confident. Basically the person I know I am and can be. With every visit it is confirmed that it is the way. My friends (there and here) even my family, all say I'm different - in a positive way - when I'm there.

Normally I get itchy feet within two weeks of taking a flight and can't get to an airport fast enough. In Toronto I get panic attacks coming close to the airport because I don't want to leave.

There is a flight with Continental on November 11 that would take me to Boston change to Air Canada and land at about the same time as that Canadian Pacific did and it would be exactly 27 years. I'm thinking about booking it although going straight with Air Canada would be a better option as I could change the return.

And I've been offered to do a job that day and two days later. But I think I might turn that down.
Do you really want to have to deal with the upheaval of emigrating? Seems a lot of hassle to start again at such a late stage.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
Do you really want to have to deal with the upheaval of emigrating? Seems a lot of hassle to start again at such a late stage.
You bet I do.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Holy cr@p!

It took me until now (straight after I posted that long post above) to respond to the company because I've had a family emergency to deal with. They just responded that they are more than willing to go for an LMO. They are actively looking for someone to fill the position ASAP so no guarantees that the job is still available when I get over in November. I believe october 21 will be two weeks of advertising.

Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Holy cr@p!

It took me until now (straight after I posted that long post above) to respond to the company because I've had a family emergency to deal with. They just responded that they are more than willing to go for an LMO. They are actively looking for someone to fill the position ASAP so no guarantees that the job is still available when I get over in November. I believe october 21 will be two weeks of advertising.

Get your ass over here. And I refuse to believe that you're 45.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good for you! Now get your butt over HERE asap!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Holy cr@p!

After everything you have described you've got to make it happen!!!!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Get your ass over here. And I refuse to believe that you're 45.
Next time we hook up I'll prove it to you.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:33 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Next time we hook up I'll prove it to you.
How ? Do you have rings like a tree trunk ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.