Film suggestions?

Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Film suggestions?

Originally Posted by Oink
Ones that have come out in the last year or two.
Sounds like you've seen all those

We saw Millions. It was pretty surreal.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:48 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, but I prefer to characterize it as discerning rather than closed mindedness. When it comes to films or music I know what I like and I've got too much to do to ponce about watching stuff I think is crap, just to feel well rounded.
That, I understand, but there are many great, well made American movies, which, if you are not watching, you're losing out. As you pointed out further up the page there are crap and mediocre British movies which you have watched, but presumably you didn't know that until you watched them..
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
Snatch?
Ones that have come out in the last year or two.
You been married long then, Oink?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dthomas
The Wind That Shakes the Barley (2006) - Brutal/beautiful Irish film (dir. Ken Loach). Examines Brit colonialism circa 1920's Eire. Barry Ackroyd's cinematography is memorable.
Weak characterisation though and you need to know the basic history of the period before watching it. It offers no explanation of who these "Black and Tans" and "Staters" are nor why they're at each other's throats. I found I needed to use the subtitles (French) that came with the film not to understand the Irish characters but for the "Brits" who were from Scotland or the north. I suppose you know that calling an Irish film "set in the UK" is taking a position I wouldn't go near.

All that said, the only bleaker film I can think of is Baisse-moi.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 9th 2010 at 9:57 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:02 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

How about an oldie instead then?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089697/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063850/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094336/

Not-British, but worth it for the sound track alone:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064694/

Apart from the The Firm (waiting for the DVD in Feb) I've seen all the others but cheers anyway.

24 Hour Party People (funny)

Control (Good)

Hunger (ok)

This Is England (very good)

The Bank Job (awful)

Can't stand Simon Pegg.

The Damned United. Football (it was ok)

I also have seen,

Football Factory (v. good)
Rise of the Foot Solider (ok)
Clubbed (ok)
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:43 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Apocalypto.

Made by mayans.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:18 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from the The Firm (waiting for the DVD in Feb) I've seen all the others but cheers anyway.

24 Hour Party People (funny)

Control (Good)

Hunger (ok)

This Is England (very good)

The Bank Job (awful)

Can't stand Simon Pegg.

The Damned United. Football (it was ok)

I also have seen,

Football Factory (v. good)
Rise of the Foot Solider (ok)
Clubbed (ok)
24 hour party people is good. I used to work at the Midland Hotel where the Hacienda was years ago. We used to go there often. Hard to believe its become something of a cult place.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
24 hour party people is good. I used to work at the Midland Hotel where the Hacienda was years ago. We used to go there often. Hard to believe its become something of a cult place.
The late 80s early 90s were a good baggy time.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Frost vs Nixon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870111/

British main man and writer. The rest American though.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

"Once upon a time in the midlands" Fantastic Ricky Tomlinson, Kathy Burke, Robert Carlyle and Rhys Ifans. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301684/

Sarah
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Drake

Vera Drake.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:14 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I quite enjoyed 'Control' about ian curtis from joy division.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421082/
ooh, I wanna see that. Did you see the doc? It was good.

Still bitter that I was in Manchester at the time but too young to see JD live
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:24 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass

Yes, I saw the doc and it was good.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass

I saw it at the cinema in Vancouver. I liked it, I suspect you have to have liked or at least known about Joy Division.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, I saw the doc and it was good.
I thought it was better than Control. I also thought the Joe Strummer doc was good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.