Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015™

FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015™

Old Jun 9th 2015, 5:56 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015™

Flights in and out of Moncton, and St. John are completely screwed up because of it. Someone I work with said "Yes, but it's only women" but it's still 24 teams and coaches etc., and fans. I had absolutely no idea it was on, nor did anyone else that I've spoken to.

I don't know one end of a football from another, but I do like the idea that we are out there doing it too.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Flights in and out of Moncton, and St. John are completely screwed up because of it. Someone I work with said "Yes, but it's only women" but it's still 24 teams and coaches etc., and fans. I had absolutely no idea it was on, nor did anyone else that I've spoken to.

I don't know one end of a football from another, but I do like the idea that we are out there doing it too.
Footballs don't have ends as they are round. Not all 24 teams are playing in Moncton as there are 5 other cities hosting it.
Judging by the attendance in Moncton the locals didn't know it was taking place.
Am I now forgiven about my comments about women and football
Old Jun 9th 2015, 6:21 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Am I now forgiven about my comments about women and football
The jury is out FL, the women of BE are however no doubt bribable? Isn't everyone in the world of Big Football bribable?
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:00 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I think there was an issue at the ground, "thousands of" people unable to get in until well after the kick off.

Judging by the attendance in Moncton the locals didn't know it was taking place.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I think there was an issue at the ground, "thousands of" people unable to get out until well after the kick off.
FTFY. That was awful.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak for the attendance but ticket sales were running at 80% at the weekend.

Most of the seating is temporary. They put up more for the big athletics meeting a few years ago but they decided on a lower capacity this time. Looks like a good decision.

People in Moncton really have to be walking around with eyes and ears closed not to know. It's been all over the paper - mostly in the NEWS section rather than sports, CBC radio, I've seen ads on TV for it (and I barely watch TV), there are flags up for it and posters downtown.

I have no interest in Hockey or American football but I usually know when Play offs or superbowl is going on. It's all over the news etc in the same way.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
FTFY. That was awful.
It was similar to France men v England men. All hit and hope stuff. And defensive errors.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Just got back. Quite a poor England performance. We set up to try and pinch a 0-0. No plan B and we didnt change shape when we needed to chase the game in the latter stages. Our number 9 was a lonely figure up top and largely ineffective. Their goalie could have been in a deckchair!! Lack of pace and tempo was a major problem. I didnt think the French despite being the better team on the day were anything special.

Many were late in getting in. Only 2 points of entry for 13000 people. The stadium is very simply not designed for it. Atmosphere was non existent. Putting fans in sections with their own would have been better.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 8:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Just got back. Quite a poor England performance. We set up to try and pinch a 0-0. No plan B and we didnt change shape when we needed to chase the game in the latter stages. Our number 9 was a lonely figure up top and largely ineffective. Their goalie could have been in a deckchair!! Lack of pace and tempo was a major problem. I didnt think the French despite being the better team on the day were anything special.
Agreed. Of the matches I've watched so far (I missed US Vs Oz) only the German squad seem to know how to play the game at anything approaching competency.

(That France centre back today though was very competent).
Old Jun 9th 2015, 8:09 pm
Oscar nominated

Putting fans in sections with their own would have been better.
They could try and take the other team's "end" just like the old days.

Ah...the Tote End Boot Boys.

Old Jun 9th 2015, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Agreed. Of the matches I've watched so far (I missed US Vs Oz) only the German squad seem to know how to play the game at anything approaching competency.

(That France centre back today though was very competent).
Agreed.

The French defenders in all reality were not really stretched until the last ten minutes. When we started to probe down the flanks we managed to pull them out of position a bit an open up some gaps. Unfortunately you could tell that they were tired having chased the ball around all game to do much with it.

I would have liked us to change shape a bit sooner and try to press them better in the first half. We gave them far too much time and space on the ball in our half.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
They could try and take the other team's "end" just like the old days.

Ah...the Tote End Boot Boys.
Im too young for that Bristol

I am a Stoke fan so dont really know anything about being naughty or 40
Old Jun 9th 2015, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Can't speak for the attendance but ticket sales were running at 80% at the weekend.

Most of the seating is temporary. They put up more for the big athletics meeting a few years ago but they decided on a lower capacity this time. Looks like a good decision.

People in Moncton really have to be walking around with eyes and ears closed not to know. It's been all over the paper - mostly in the NEWS section rather than sports, CBC radio, I've seen ads on TV for it (and I barely watch TV), there are flags up for it and posters downtown.

I have no interest in Hockey or American football but I usually know when Play offs or superbowl is going on. It's all over the news etc in the same way.

That's what is puzzling me about other comments on this thread!

It's been all over the media here in Vancouver for literally years! I would even say that there have been at least 2 stories a week in the papers and on TV for the last 6 months and longer

Right from when the event as awarded, through the threat of teams not playing because it was on artificial turf, to the preparations ......... even being mentioned in almost every news story about the FIFA arrests and Sepp Blatter last week.

Even I, an ardent non-sports fan except hockey, knew the Women's World Cup was on, and in which cities!

At least, they don't seem to be instituting road closures to allow the brass to get around as they did during the 2010 Winter Olympics here, thus crippling the movement of ordinary residents all over the city.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 2:26 pm
Oscar nominated

Many were late in getting in. Only 2 points of entry for 13000 people.
Guy interviewed on CBC radio this morning talked of long queues and missed the first 15 minutes but said everything beyond that went great.

Then he referred to the audience. GAH!
Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:07 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Australia looked good and may surprise a few peoeple if they can move out of what is a tough group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.