British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Fiddleheads (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/fiddleheads-387195/)

Piff Poff Jul 28th 2006 3:00 am

Fiddleheads

Hi,

i have a recipe that calls for fiddleheads - what are they and where do I get 'em ? :confused:

willmore Jul 28th 2006 3:16 am

Re: Fiddleheads

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hi,

i have a recipe that calls for fiddleheads - what are they and where do I get 'em ? :confused:

We can get them in our local grocery store in Victoria, but I would let your fingers do the walking first (if you know what I mean)! ;)

Calgal Jul 28th 2006 3:18 am

Hi,

They are the coiled edible heads of the ostrich fern collected in the wild, and are seasonal in the spring. So you may have to shelve that for a while I'm afraid!

Steve_P Jul 28th 2006 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Calgal
They are the coiled edible heads of the ostrich fern collected in the wild, and are seasonal in the spring. So you may have to shelve that for a while I'm afraid!

I don't think I've ever seen a canned version either. :p

You might and that is a big, big might, find some frozen fiddleheads but I'd say it's unlikely in Red Deer or anywhere else in western Canada for that matter.

Hear ya go some Facts on Fiddleheads.

Cheers
Steve

Tbag Jul 28th 2006 3:58 am

Hi,

Be very careful to wash them really really well if you use them as the can cause a nasty case of food poisoning if not..... as my brother found out last year!

koogar Jul 28th 2006 11:44 am

1 Attachment(s)
fiddleheads........ yummy

Voyager970 Jul 28th 2006 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by koogar

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Vanessa May, yummy yummy mummy !!!!!!!! :D :D

Piff Poff Jul 29th 2006 12:33 am

Thanks all!

Hangman - thanks for the link, Koogar - TRUST YOU :rolleyes:

Has anyone actually tried these - are they worth the effort next spring?

Bob Jul 29th 2006 4:19 am

you can still get 'em out now, but yeah, bit out of season...they taste pretty nasty though, well an acquired taste I guess...and the pickled or canned stuff tastes even worse.

best thing to do with them apparently is blanche in hot water for a min or two and then drop into a hot pan with melted butter for a couple mins, served with more butter, salt and pepper...and then a bucket to vomit into...

AnyaT Jul 29th 2006 2:40 pm

I quite like fiddleheads, but I think there are more people who dislike than like them. Bob's cooking directions are pretty much correct, though I like to add a few drops of lemon juice to them as well. They have a somewhat bitter taste. It's worth trying them at least once, I'd say. Get the smaller ones that are still tightly curled - once they start to uncurl the bitter taste becomes more pronounced.

Piff Poff Jul 29th 2006 2:45 pm

Cheers all :beer:

Stu-pot Jul 30th 2006 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by koogar

You wish she'd fiddle with your head :p :p :p

koogar Jul 30th 2006 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by mandyg
You wish she'd fiddle with your head :p :p :p

again

the mellors Jul 30th 2006 11:10 pm

whos doing the fiddling :confused:

cookie56 Aug 14th 2006 10:12 pm

Hi,

As you were told, fiiddleheads are the top of a fern which is picked in the spring. They grow in marshy or wet areas in the woods of New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario. I haven't seen any in Alberta.
They sell them in some stores back East but the only ones you might find in Alberta would be frozen ones from McCains. If there are any Newfy grocery stores in your area I would check with them to see if they have frozen ones.
Good luck