Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A few days in London in July

A few days in London in July

Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default A few days in London in July

So we're looking forward to spending four days in London next month. The main problem is probably going to be missing out on places to visit in the limited time. It would be interesting to hear about places that have been enjoyed by expats and places that were a disappointment.

Need to get hotel sorted out soon as well. We are probably stuck with getting two rooms for a family of 5 (3 teens) - anyone know of suite type places?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:11 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few days in London in July

I have to ask... London, Ontario, or London, UK?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Four days in London (Ontario) eh?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:31 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I have a good friend who lives there. I will email him and report back.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
So we're looking forward to spending four days in London next month. The main problem is probably going to be missing out on places to visit in the limited time. It would be interesting to hear about places that have been enjoyed by expats and places that were a disappointment.

Need to get hotel sorted out soon as well. We are probably stuck with getting two rooms for a family of 5 (3 teens) - anyone know of suite type places?
for a family of 5, I'd consider airbnb or homestay or similar. Will likely be cheaper than 2 hotel rooms, and (so long as you don't mind doing your own washing up) more flexible in terms of breakfast options and the ability to make tea & toast when you come in after a long day sightseeing.

In terms of what to see, you could do a lot worse than start off with an open-top bus ticket. They're all "hop on hop off" so you can use the buses to get between attractions you want to visit as well as get a good idea of the geography of the city. When I was over with my (much younger) kids last summer, we did this and found it helpful. For sure, it's more expensive than a travelcard, but we considered the simplicity of the circular route, with stops where we wanted to go, to be worth the cost.

What are the kids into? Some popular places (the Tower, for example) are hugely, massively busy in the height of the summer, so prepare for the queue-up-to-walk-along frustration. Others (walking across the millennium bridge from St Pauls to Tate Modern, and then a stroll along the South Bank) are both less crowded and completely free, with a decent pub or two en route.

We climbed up to the galleries in St Pauls, watched the Tower Bridge bascules raise (there's a timetable published online, would have loved to see this from above via the walkways but there were massive queues to get into the exhibition and we hadn't bought advance tickets), saw the guard change at Horseguards, happened upon a rehearsal for a parade up Birdcage Walk and past the front of Buckingham Palace, went on the London Eye, and took a river cruise from Tower Bridge Pier all the way out to Kew Bridge (but we used to live by the river in Chiswick, so that last was an indulgence on the part of me and OH rather than particularly interesting for the kids). We were only in town for a couple of days, though - otherwise I'd have added the London Transport Museum and a stroll round the piazza in Covent Garden, at least one of the South Ken museums (I'd have voted for Science but been prepared to be overruled in favour of V&A), and tried to do more around Parliament than just a walk over Westminster Bridge and round Parliament Square. With older kids I'd consider some of the more cerebral or eclectic stuff, too - a gallery or two (the National, NPG and one or both Tates), Sir John Soane's Museum, the museum at Lord's, the Kew Bridge Steam Museum (especially if the huge Cornish engines are in steam - they're spectacular for adults, let alone kids...)
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

For suites, there are Homewood Suites and Starwood. Both right by the 401. If you're talking about Ontario?

For stuff to do, depends what you like really.

If you're talking about UK, do everything. Eat everything. Then report back
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:40 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
for a family of 5, I'd consider airbnb or homestay or similar. Will likely be cheaper than 2 hotel rooms, and (so long as you don't mind doing your own washing up) more flexible in terms of breakfast options and the ability to make tea & toast when you come in after a long day sightseeing.

In terms of what to see, you could do a lot worse than start off with an open-top bus ticket. They're all "hop on hop off" so you can use the buses to get between attractions you want to visit as well as get a good idea of the geography of the city. When I was over with my (much younger) kids last summer, we did this and found it helpful. For sure, it's more expensive than a travelcard, but we considered the simplicity of the circular route, with stops where we wanted to go, to be worth the cost.

What are the kids into? Some popular places (the Tower, for example) are hugely, massively busy in the height of the summer, so prepare for the queue-up-to-walk-along frustration. Others (walking across the millennium bridge from St Pauls to Tate Modern, and then a stroll along the South Bank) are both less crowded and completely free, with a decent pub or two en route.

We climbed up to the galleries in St Pauls, watched the Tower Bridge bascules raise (there's a timetable published online, would have loved to see this from above via the walkways but there were massive queues to get into the exhibition and we hadn't bought advance tickets), saw the guard change at Horseguards, happened upon a rehearsal for a parade up Birdcage Walk and past the front of Buckingham Palace, went on the London Eye, and took a river cruise from Tower Bridge Pier all the way out to Kew Bridge (but we used to live by the river in Chiswick, so that last was an indulgence on the part of me and OH rather than particularly interesting for the kids). We were only in town for a couple of days, though - otherwise I'd have added the London Transport Museum and a stroll round the piazza in Covent Garden, at least one of the South Ken museums (I'd have voted for Science but been prepared to be overruled in favour of V&A), and tried to do more around Parliament than just a walk over Westminster Bridge and round Parliament Square. With older kids I'd consider some of the more cerebral or eclectic stuff, too - a gallery or two (the National, NPG and one or both Tates), Sir John Soane's Museum, the museum at Lord's, the Kew Bridge Steam Museum (especially if the huge Cornish engines are in steam - they're spectacular for adults, let alone kids...)
Wrong London.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:43 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong London.
I rather assumed post #3 was massively tongue-in-cheek. Why would anyone worry about missing out on places to visit in four days in London, ON?

[ETA: and why would anyone look forward to the prospect of spending 4 days there?]
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:45 pm
Concierge

Ah, entirely possible I missed that then...

Now I feel like a massive tool.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

All of that sounds good. We will be there before school holidays in England so hopefully will be less busy than would be later in July. Open top bus and river cruise are top of the list. I think the Tower has to be done. I like the idea of staying close to the museums in Kensington so they are available for a free hour or two each day. One of the children mentioned the Globe Theatre which is next to Tate Modern I see.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

I rather assumed post #3 was massively tongue-in-cheek. Why would anyone worry about missing out on places to visit in four days in London, ON?

[ETA: and why would anyone look forward to the prospect of spending 4 days there?]
I considered putting "London, England" in the OP but really....
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I have a good friend who lives there. I will email him and report back.
Wrong London.
Ah, entirely possible I missed that then...

Now I feel like a massive tool.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:11 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Covent Garden.

Amazing street performers.

A great place to spend a couple of hours.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 4:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

All of that sounds good. We will be there before school holidays in England so hopefully will be less busy than would be later in July. Open top bus and river cruise are top of the list. I think the Tower has to be done. I like the idea of staying close to the museums in Kensington so they are available for a free hour or two each day. One of the children mentioned the Globe Theatre which is next to Tate Modern I see.
If you have teens, they'd probably enjoy Camden Market, whilst you take some respite in Regents Park. The whole of the South Bank is very buzzy and nicely developed these days. Plan a walk from Waterloo (or Westminster if you are feeling energetic) to Tower Bridge and a river bus back (or vice versa). Borough Market good for foodie fare on Saturday mornings. Globe is a good choice, and they do cheap standing admission (truly Elizabethan) for many performances.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 4:40 pm
Concierge

So now that I'm feeling like only marginally less of a tool... (my friend in London, ON was quite confused by the email I sent followed almost immediately by a "nevermind I'm an idiot, ignore this" message... haha...)

Oakvillian got it right on, the bus tours are fantastic for getting around the city and getting a feel of the geography. Sure it's a bit more pricey than a travel card, but they are functional and you get lots of great info on the way around.

The Tower of London is one of my favourite spots in London and totally worth seeing, in my opinion. The free tour by the Yeoman guard is also good, it's about 30 minutes and gives just a bit of quick info about the tower and a few of the "main" spots.

IF your kids are into walking tours, then I'd also suggest these guys - London Walks Timetable Weekly Schedule of Walking Tours I did a few with my parents, they're all very well done and usually the groups aren't too big, and the guides are all quite friendly and knowledgeable. There's a load of different ones, so you can pick whatever is interesting to you.

You can also have a fun afternoon by packing a picnic, taking a river boat out to Canary Wharf and getting off at Greenwich, then walking up to the observatory. There are some great grassy areas up there where you can sit and have lunch with a nice view back out over London.

Shard's suggestion of a walk along the river is also awesome for seeing quite a few of the main sights.

My parents stayed here the first time they came to visit - Holiday Inn London - Kensington Forum Hotel | Official Hotel Website | Best Price Guaranteed - super convenient location, close to everything, and the hotel was very reasonably priced for London. Granted, that trip was back in 2009 so not sure how prices have changed since then, but worth a look. Honestly your best bet for accommodation is just going to something like expedia.co.uk or kayak.co.uk and then cross-referencing the affordable places in decent areas with tripadvisor reviews to find something decent. Oakvillian's suggestion as well of something through AirBNB is probably not a bad idea either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.